Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Golden Lotus: A Review of Chinese Foot Binding


Across the globe men and women practice a series of biocultural modifications as directed by the cultural norms that they follow.  These practices are meant to convey a specific status, ethnicity, beauty standard, or other message.  As previously discussed on this blog there is a price to pay to meet cultural beauty standards, particularly among women.  This price may not necessarily be monetary in nature but instead is related to negative health outcomes from changing the natural form of one’s body.  Manipulating the female body was common practice for the Chinese for many centuries, and today’s blog post will discuss the practice of foot binding, aka Chinese Lotus Foot (Figure 1).  A review of the origins, purpose, methods, and ultimate end of the practice will be addressed herein.  Before you go much further, however, readers are warned that this post does contain graphic content and images that may make you uncomfortable, so please read this post at your own discretion.

Figure 1: Zhang Yun Ying shows off her Lotus Feet (Photographed by Jo Farrell)

The practice of binding women’s feet in China began sometime between A.D. 961-975.  Historical evidence suggests that the Emperor’s concubine, who was a devoted dancer in his court, had bound feet, which were required for her to participate in certain dances.  He was so enamored by her feet that he claimed that by being in contact with them he reached new levels of sexual pleasure that he had not previously experienced.  Shortly thereafter elite women began to have their feet bound to mimic that same level of attractiveness and foster that level of sexual prowess the Emperor’s concubine boasted.  Bound feet became a symbol of beauty, sexual prowess, and elite status.  As time went on lower class women began binding the feet of their daughters in order to ensure their place among upper class families through marriage.  These ideas prevailed until the eventual ban of the practice by the British and Communists in the early 20th century.  Several cultural informants reported the loss of successful marriage opportunities and feeling less attractive when they were no longer allowed to bind their feet. 

Figure 2: Changes to the anatomy of the foot related to foot binding

Similar to many other biocultural modifications foot binding started during childhood.  Some girls started as early as age five while others began the practice during their adolescence.  The average ages for when foot binding occurred was from six to eight years of age.  The process involved a series of steps, first beginning with the ritual bathing of the feet.  The feet would be massaged with oils and toe nails clipped.  Either the eldest women of the household or a professional foot binder would be responsible for reshaping the foot, which involved breaking of the toes and other parts of the foot.  These would be bent under the foot into the arch, which would also eventually be broken through this multi-step process, and bringing all of the parts of the foot together for a tiny, crescent shape (Figure 2).  The foot would then be tightly bound in ten feet of silk wrappings and covered with special lotus shoes (Figure 3).  The feet would be cleaned every few days to reduce infection, but these remained common and many women lost toes as a result of the practice. 

Figure 3: Lotus Shoe

It is estimated that millions (although potentially billions) of women underwent this exercise in order to ensure a suitable marriage partner.  Families who could afford a matchmaker for their sons would often only request one thing of their future daughters-in-law: the golden lotus.  This referred to the size of the foot and smaller was considered better.  The golden lotus foot was no more than 3 inches in length and considered paramount in providing sexual pleasure to men.  Feet that were four inches in length were known as a silver lotus and less desired.  Women with feet five inches or longer were considered to have iron lotuses and not considered proper marriage partners.  They were typically married off to lower status households, thereby ensuring a poor lifestyle and marriage.  Because of the emphasis on marrying well women often encouraged the pain and sacrifice, which included loss of appetite, an inability to move during the process, and reduced mobility afterwards, incurred by this practice to ensure a happy and prosperous marriage, although that did not always work out even for women with the golden lotus feet.  One cultural informant reported that she was married off to a wealth man with an opium addiction, which left her very unhappy.

The practice was banned in the early 20th century, first by the British and later by the Communists.  The British would send out agents who would inspect women’s feet, but they did a poor job of this as the practice continued in secret for several years.  The Communists, however, were more thorough in their investigations.  They demanded to see women’s feet and would remove the bindings when they found feet bound.  They also levied heavy fines against families who continued the practice.  As a result the only women who still have bound feet are elderly women, and they and their stories are disappearing as they pass away from old age.  Cultural anthropologists, archaeologist, and historians have managed to collect the stories and historical records of this practice, providing us a rich collection of materials on this topic that we can draw upon to learn about and understand this practice.  While the practice has been long discontinued it does provide us with a great deal of insights into the values of Chinese culture, and how we, as humans across the globe, still equate beauty with pain.

References

Cartwright, M. (2017, September 27). Foot-Binding. Retrieved from Ancient History Encyclopedia: https://www.ancient.eu/Foot-Binding/
Foreman, A. (2015, February). Why Footbinding Persisted in China for a Millennium. Retrieved from Smithsonian Magazine: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-footbinding-persisted-china-millennium-180953971/
Lim, L. (2007, March 19). Painful Memories for China's Footbinding Survivors. Retrieved from NPR: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8966942
No, A. (No Date.). Chinese Girl with Bound Feet. Retrieved from The Virtual Museum of the City of San Francisco: http://www.sfmuseum.org/chin/foot.html
Xiu-ying, L. (2007). Women with Bound Feet in China. Retrieved from Historical Collections at the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library University of Virginia: http://exhibits.hsl.virginia.edu/clothes/lady_bound/

23 comments:

Unknown said...

I’ve read this somewhere before! I found that this was super interesting because,body modifications are still in, for instance gages! I know someone who has gages and was going to stretch her lobes bigger but decided not too, due to the lobes not going back to shape after being stretched so big.

Anonymous said...

This article is very interesting. I was reading about this foot binding somewhere else and I thought it was really weird. Now that I've read more about it, I feel like its just how the "social norm" is now with some women getting their bodies done to fit in, or changing the way their faces look. But for the older women in this time doing it to their younger daughters just to be able to say they made it just throws me off. Very interesting to read so I'll be reading more about it on my own.
-Alfreda Womack

B.Nicole Clements said...

this is not the first time I have heard bout the Golden lotus. I shamelessly admit to spending many hours looking at Lotus Feet and reading personal accounts (often when I have had other things I needed to do). Have one question that I never came across in my readings.
"Was Opium ever used to numb the pain of binding?"

Taylor Morris said...

This is a interesting article. I have never heard of foot binding but this goes to show you that what we may think is not normal where we are from, it could be the social norm somewhere else. We cant judge anyone because our own social norms cold be strange to others as well.

Anonymous said...

Akwila Cooks
This is a very interesting article. I have never heard of the practice of foot binding, aka Chinese Lotus Foot. I think the marriage thing is interesting. How women with feet longer than five inches or longer were considered to have iron lotuses and not considered proper marriage partners. It is so crazy how different cultures have different ways to consider if someone is worth marrying.

kunita williams said...

I've honestly never took the time to understand the culture and background behind foot binding. As everyone before me mentioned, this isn't my first time hearing about foot binding. It sort of just went through one ear and out the other, I've always thought it was so strange, that's why I never educated myself more on the particular subject. I did not know this certain practice was meant to convey a specific status, ethnicity, beauty standard or other message. I wonder when women would lose their toe from infections, were they still considered attractive since technically their foot was still bonded? Very interesting read. -Kunita Williams

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting article. I have never heard of the practice of foot binding. I've never took the time to understand the culture and background behind foot binding I think the marriage thing is interesting. How women with feet longer than five inches or longer were considered to have iron lotuses and not considered proper marriage partners. I wonder if all cultures was like that how would our world be today ?
-Micah Seals

Dominique Heath said...

I know about body modifications to make yourself feel more appealing but I never thought it was once so extreme. There is no correlation between a foot size and how you and another human connect. I am glad that it is no longer practiced. -Dominique Heath

Unknown said...

“Beauty Standards” is something that I feel we all have in common. We all have our own individual ways we not to be perceived by based on our appearance. What is extremely interesting to me is how far people will go, especially women. Foot binding was actually something we joked about as children, but actually learning about it shows us how painful it is. Having to bind your feet to help find marriage seems very strange to me but I am happy that I read this blog because of all of the great information that is discussed.

Kahla Perry

Unknown said...

Wow! This is just crazy. I’ve always heard the Chinese bind their feet but I’ve never knew why they did it . Interesting to know that parents would bind women to ensure they would be in the upper class families. As well to know that binding the foot made you more attractive to marriage, sounds absurd. This post made me feel as though I may actually have a ethnocentric mindset to some things , because this just seems way out of my comfort , but then again when you are brought up in that society , that’s the norm. Very interesting and very detailed blog to read , enjoyable to say the least.
-Jazlyn Logan

Tonii Saffore said...

My name is Tonii Saffore. I remember first learning about this practice in high school, I always thought that this beauty standard was so extreme. This makes me realize just how much women has been and still is being put through in order to be perceived as beautiful. This makes me think of the women in the Suri tribe who practice lip stretching and bigger the plate in the lip, the more more beautiful that women is seen.

Unknown said...

Hi my name is Avery Davis, putting that type of modification seems painful. Not trying to offend anyone who supports this but I don't support this modification. In my opinion if culture has to hurt you for you to participate in it, then its not worth it.

Enbybabemax said...

I've heard of Chinese women wearing smaller shoes so that their feet seem small. I didn't know they endured pain for beauty purposes. That's very extreme even for a beauty standard.

- Malacia Lowe

Unknown said...

I have heard of this practice before but I never knew how they reshaped the foot and I never knew why this practice was so popular among women. I find it very interesting that women would undergo so much pain to get their feet to bind like that and I never knew that some women would lose their toes in the process. I also find it very interesting that women would do this to find a suitable partner. In my opinion, the British and the Communists made the right decision in banding this practice.

Betsy Britt ANT 495-01 said...

Foot binding is a cultural development that has never made sense to me. I always thought that the Chinese are more critical than other peoples on how their children are raised. In that way of thinking, it would make more sense if women without bound feet, who would be better at caring for children due to being able to walk less painfully, would be preferable in marriage than women with bound feet.

Renée Wade said...

What other cultures believe or believed what beauty is to the is astonishing. This blog has triggered my curiosity on how other cultures view Americans beauty beliefs.

Unknown said...

I learned about the Chinese foot binding before. In my eyes I feel this is torture. I understand they like to have small feet but breaking your foot to make it sizes smaller isn't the correct way. This way I feel should be abandoned, the reason why is because this is a very painful process. I understand the "Beauty Hurts" but this kind of beauty is wrong to me.

Taylor Morris said...

Foot binding seems like it would hurt so bad but everyone has their different beliefs and traditions that they practice so I respect it.

Anonymous said...

I find it very sad that the size of women's feet determined whether or not that were marriage material. This is so wrong to me, i dont understand why any of this was okay.
-Kyla Thomas

Anonymous said...

Iv'e never heard of this before reading the blog. The binding of the women's feet isn't something we see everyday because its not our culture.This doesn't give myself or anyone else room to judge them. I will say that it looks painful though.
-Jasmine Busby

Anonymous said...

Body modifications still exist. Chinese foot binding is cultural but looks weird and uncomfortable like did you guys really want small feet that bad. How can the size of feet determine how beautiful you are. -castrele hoy

Tijunay Roberts said...

I had never seen them before. My teacher mentioned it in class recently. I can see the reasoning behind it though. No female might want to have larger feet. So I guess the smaller the better. That's similar to how it is in our society where the smaller your waist the better. And we have things that are not the most comfortable called corsets or waist trainers that are meant to make us smaller even though it might come with some pain.

Anonymous said...

The article mentioned that the alleged reason for the fashion, the emperors concubine had bound feet for specific dances. Does that mean there was a tradition of foot binding at court before it became a more spread tradition?

petra andrei