Saturday, September 8, 2018

Spirited Away: Animism & Religion


Figure 1: Early Ancient Egyptian beliefs were animistic, although the notions continued into later religious beliefs



The anthropological study of religion is one of the more popular areas of study and has been for decades.  Through these studies anthropologists have gained a greater understanding of the diverse belief systems that exist in cultures around the globe, as well as expanded the knowledge base on what religion is actually about.  Today’s blog post will provide a cursory review of the anthropological understanding of religion and one particular type of religion: animism.

Anthropologically religion is defined as the as belief and ritual concerned with supernatural beings, powers, and forces.  Religion is accepted on faith and cannot be scientifically tested or proven as existing.  Individuals of any one faith can believe in one or multiple gods, spirits, ghosts, souls, or any other type of supernatural entities, which people can either control or be controlled by.  While there is a great deal of diversity in the types of belief systems that exist religion in general remains a cultural universal, meaning some sort of ideological belief system exists in every cultural group globally.

Anthropologist Sir Edward Bennet Tylor was one of the first to study religion anthropologically, and through his study he developed a taxonomy of religions.  According to his taxonomy the most basic religion, which is also believed to be the earliest, is animism or animistic religions.  Animistic religions promote the idea that spirits exist in every living thing, as well as some nonliving things.  Individuals could access this spirit realm, which exists parallel to the human world, through entering into trans-like or dream-like states.  There are no central deity or deities.  In some animistic faiths there exists a religious practitioner whose sole responsibility is to access the spirit realm, while other faiths believe that anyone can do so.  Ultimately, everyone can be affected by the spirit realm even without intentionally accessing it.  Believers typically pay homage to the spirits through various rituals or customs, such as blessings and celebrations.  While animism is considered the earliest religion it still exists in practice today.  Examples of animistic religions include the early ancient Egyptian belief system (Figure 1), the traditional religious beliefs of the Hmong, as well as several Native American faiths.  Additionally, animism forms the foundations of several modern religions that borrow from the beliefs and incorporate some of the ideas (e.g. spirits, souls, etc.).  The major religions of today can trace their roots back to early animistic faiths based on the inclusion of some of these key characteristics.

References

Gezon, L., & Kottak, C. (2014).  Cultural Anthropology McGraw-Hill

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this article very interesting to me. I totally agree with all types of religions borrowing or taking from other religions, but i never heard of the animistic religions before and i wouldn't doubt if some of the major religions are traced back to animistic, somebody came up with some of this first we had to get it from somewhere.
-Micah Seals

Unknown said...

Akwila Cooks.
I never heard of Animistic religions. It is crazy that it was one of the earliest religions and it is still being practiced today I think every religion in different ways are alike and do the same things.

Unknown said...

Studying different religions is very interesting. It amazes me how anthropologists can dive into their work, no matter what topic and unfold all kinds of information. Religion is a topic that I feel very strongly about. Within other religions, there can be what seems like small things to us, but are huge within their religion and we might not know anything about that if it were not for anthropologists. Like discussed above about reaching out to spiritual realms. Great Blog!

Kahla Perry

Unknown said...

When it comes to religion I didn't know there were so many different ones and the fact that Anthropologists know so much about them is awesome. this was a great blog.

Tonii Saffore said...

My name is Tonii Saffore. While I enjoyed reading this post on Animistic religions, I feel like I am still confused on what it is. If I read correctly this religion can only be reached in a dream. If this is the case, how does one practice different laws of this religion when they aren't awake? I was also confused on what exactly are the laws of this religion.

Taylor Morris said...

This is interesting because I have never heard of Animistic religions although its one of the earliest and oldest religions out there.

Unknown said...

Hi my name is Avery Davis, and growing up as a christian I have always wonder about the religion itself. The fact that some have gotten a similar story but with just different names. However I think the difference of the religions is the reason that they are diverse.

Jessica Tyree said...

I found this blog to be very interesting because I never knew that there were so many different types of religions until I started college. Even though I have learned about many religions throughout my years in college I have never heard of Anthropologically religion or Animistic religions. I find it very interesting that there are religions that are based on their beliefs of supernatural beings and powers or religions that are based on their beliefs of spirits existing in very living thing. I find this interesting because when I was younger I wasn't taught much about those types of beliefs rather than I was taught more about god.

Unknown said...

I never heard of animistic religion until i read this Blog. I find it pretty cool that this religion is still around as of today. I think its amazing on how there are so many religions around and we only know of the main ones which are Christians, Jews, Buddha, etc.

Anonymous said...

I never heard of Animistic religions and the fact that it is one of the earliest forms of religions and still being practiced today is amazing but its crazy that I'm just now hearing about it.
-Kyla Thomas

Anonymous said...

This blog is very informational. The part of the blog that stated"Animistic religions promote the idea that spirits exist in every living thing, as well as some nonliving things" reminded me in reincarnation a little bit. I believe that the spirit travels.
-Jasmine Busby

Anonymous said...

When it comes to religion I didn't know there were so many different ones and the fact that Anthropologists know so much about them is awesome. I haven’t heard of animistic probably because its old but its still being practiced which is amazing. -castrele hoy