Saturday, December 21, 2019

The Twelve Days of Christmas Newfoundland/Labrador Style: The Mummering Tradition


Figure 1: Mummers entertaining in a home (Source: Memorial University website)


This blog post is dedicated to my dear and favorite (and only?) Newfie friend, Michael Collins, who brought attention to this unique holiday.

Across the world the month of December is dedicated to a series of religious and community based holidays, such as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, Advent, and Christmas.  This is but a handful of the holidays celebrated, and today’s blog post is dedicated to discussing yet another tradition: Mummering or Janneying.

Mummering (aka Janneying) is a tradition celebrated throughout the Canadian provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador since 1819.  It was a tradition that began (and is still celebrated in parts of) the United Kingdom, and it was brought to Canada by Welsh, Irish, and English immigrants.  The practice of Mummering is a unique one that is seemingly strange to outsiders.  It is best described as a Halloween take on Christmas festivities, but even that glosses over the intricacies of the tradition.  

Figure 2: Modern Mummers (Source: Mummersfestival.ca)
  
Individuals who participate in Mummering are known as Mummers (or Jannies if the other term is used), and they don elaborate costumes to disguise their identity (Figure 1).  These costumes are typically bright and ornate.  Masks or face coverings are commonplace today, but in the past people would paint their face black to obscure any distinguishing features.  The Mummers then go house to house and provide informal performances, which can include dances, songs, jokes, and more, to the inhabitants of the home.  The goal of the entertained is to guess who the Mummers are, whereas it is the goal of the Mummers to remain unknown.  If the Mummers are identified they must remove their costumes and masks, and ultimately a combination of socializing and/or partying begins.  This, however, ends the Mummers mummering for the evening as they can no longer continue to the next house or series of houses to provide entertainment to those who accept the Mummers invitations.

Mummering is a playful holiday tradition today (Figure 2), but in the past it was regarded with disdain and distrust.  This custom was a tradition among the working class who used it as a means to alleviate stress and build community, but the upper echelons of society did not feel comfortable with it.  A series of unfortunate events occurred among naughty, criminally minded Mummers who used the trust infused tradition to rob the homes they visited, and there was even a case where an individual was murdered by Mummers who visited his home.  This led to the tradition being banned for a period of time (beginning in 1861), but the spirit of the custom continued in various new forms and was eventually revived a century later.  Today, it is celebrated throughout December and even in the summer time, as well as is considered an important symbol of Newfoundland and Labrador identity.  If you are ever in the region be sure to check out this interesting holiday to learn more about Newfoundland, Labrador, and Canadian culture.

Bibliography

Memorial University. Christmas Traditions. 31 July 2014. Electronic. 21 November 2019.
Mummersfestival.ca. Mummering in Newfoundland and Labrador. No Date. Electronic. 21 November 2019.
Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site Project. Performing Arts. 1999. Electronic. 19 November 2019.
Smith, Paul. "Mummering, Violence and the Law in Nineteenth-Century Newfoundland ." No Date. Memorial University-Newfoundland. Electronic. 21 November 2019.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Dr. Boston,

I remember reading this short story in class about the Mummering. I found it interesting and wondered how did people come up with such a tradition, I always wondered that about Halloween too. As I read the story about the Mummering in class anther thing I asked myself is have anything criminally happened while celebrating this tradition, and this article answered my question. Another question is why do people still celebrate it? I wonder the same-thing about Halloween too, how does one feel comfortable going to strangers how or one letting strangers in to their home? Between the Maummering and Halloween they are interesting but yet strange traditions. I don't think I will celebrate either or.

Thank you,
Lavonza Marshall

Justin Mitchell said...

I've always heard of Mummering but I never really paid attention to it. I always had thought that it was for Jewish parties like Bar Mitvahs and what not so this really helped me!

-Justin Mitchell

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have never heard of Mummering, and find it to be quite interesting. I wonder what would happen if an individual denied the mummers access to their dwelling? I also was not surprised to read about robberies. I am a firm believe that opportunity always create misfortunes.

Thanks!
Joell Davis

Kisura Gunter said...

Halloween in December I like this tradition ! I’m surprised I’ve never heard of this before. I like that you have to try to be unknown. It seems like a fun kind of game. The only thing iffy about it is when they talk about mummers possibly stealing & murdering people. -Kisura Gunter

kenzell White said...

I have definitely never heard of Mummering but I am going to continue my research on it. The celebration seems very interesting and fun to participate in but I can see how it can become unsafe. I'm not sure if I would actually participate with the celebration knowing that someone else could impersonate a honest Mummer. Through studying I've learned that a lot of strange traditions are the norm to a lot of others so, I will continue to learn more about this celebration. Very informative post!

FE said...

I've never heard of Mummering has been a tradition in the Canadian provinces. This blog taught me some culture about candians. I don't know if I would like a tradition as mummering in Decemember due to the fact it'll be cold in missouri. Also someone commented above " what would happen if someone denies the mummers" good question because I'm wondering the same thing.-FE

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Falon, I did not come across any specific information pertaining to what happens if a household denies mummers entrance into their home, but I assume that the mummers would just move on to the next.

Marcquasia A said...

Its crazy how many traditions that we really don't know about. I always knew this related to Canadian culture. Maybe here we can practice ways to reduce stress in communities. Imagine Mummers coming to houses and participating in different traditions dancing and signing and just making your day better.