Saturday, December 24, 2016

Happy Hanukkah!





Hanukkah is one of the most well-known Jewish holidays, but very few people, outside of those of the Jewish faith, know or understand what it specifically means.  Today’s blog post is dedicated to exploring an important holiday that begins today (this year): Hanukkah (also spelled Chanukkah).  Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday that is celebrated on 25th day of Kislev on the Jewish calendar, which often corresponds with the month of December in the Roman calendar that is used popularly in the Western world.  Hanukkah is known as the festival of lights due to the means of which it is celebrated, which will be discussed further in this post, as well as the origins of the holiday.

Figure 1: Menorah

 Hanukkah is meant to celebrate the victory of the Jews over Antiochus IV, who banned the practice of Judaism in Israel in 165 B.C.E.  Antiochus IV hated religion and believed that the Jewish faith could be exterminated by altering key elements of the religion, such as the worship of one god, the abstention from certain foods, and the reading of the Torah.  He also resorted to massacring Jews who did not easily follow his rules, as well as desecrated the sacred temple as punishment.  Jews eventually retaliated and despite having fewer soldiers were triumphant in casting out Antiochus IV’s forces.  The Jews sought to rededicate the temple by lighting the menorah, a candelabra, which was to be lit each night as part of the ritual, but they did not have enough oil to complete the ritual prior to getting more.  Miraculously the little oil they did have lasted for eight days, which corresponded with the amount of time it took to acquire more oil.  The Jews declared this a miracle and observed it annually.

 

Hanukkah is observed by Jews worldwide.  It is marked by the lighting of one menorah candle each night of the eight day holiday.  The menorah (Figure 1) holds nine candles as one is meant to light the remaining eight to commemorate Hanukkah.  The lighting of each Hanukkah candle is coupled with prayers, and it is displayed in either a doorway or window so all can see it.  In addition to lighting the menorah there are specific foods associated with the holiday.  Foods fried in oil are considered traditional, specifically latkes (potato pancakes) and sufganiyot (jelly doughnuts).  Children are known to play the dreidel (Figure 2), a game that was played during Antiochus IV’s reign as a means of hiding the fact that Jews were actually practicing their faith in groups.  Traditionally, children are gifted with a gelt, a monetary gift that children are expected to donate to a charity of their choice, but this tradition was replaced in the 1920s with the dispersal of gifts.  

Figure 2: Dreidel

Hanukkah is celebrated not for the gelt or gifts, but to honor the memory and sacrifice of Jews over the centuries and even into today.  Hanukkah embodies several principles, including standing up for what is right, persevering with one’s religion, always doing better, and being proud of one’s faith.  To all those celebrating Hanukkah this year I wish you a happy and fulfilling one.

 

References



Mindel, Nissan.  1998.  The Complete Story of Chanukah (The Festival Series).  Kehot Publishing.


No Author.  No Date.  Hanukkah.  Reform Judaism.  http://www.reformjudaism.org/jewish-holidays/hanukkah
  

No Author.  No Date.  What is Hanukkah?  Chabad.org  http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/102911/jewish/What-Is-Hanukkah.htm

Rich, Tracy R.  2011.  Chanukkah.  Judaism 101.  http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday7.htm

 

37 comments:

Unknown said...

I always thought of Hanukkah as being a holiday that involves lost of gifts, but its so much more. Its crazy that Jews were getting massacred because they didn't want to do things Antiochus IV's way. By me reading this, now I know that Hanukkah its more than gifts, its days were you honor the Jews that went through the horrible times with Antiochus.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Hopefully the recent (as in over the last few weeks) events against Jews does not inspire another holiday or moment of remembrance.

Ashley Jacobson said...

I have learned a lot more about Hanukkah and the Jewish religion then I knew before sounds like the Jews have a lot of the same beliefs that Christians do. Antiochus IV sounds a lot like Hitler
Ashley Jacobson

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

There are indeed similarities between Judaism and Christianity because Christianity came out of Judaism. :)

Steven Benton said...

This was a very interesting blog that got into the true facts of the meaning of the holiday of Hanukkah. Looking back how we celebrate
Christmas I believe that gifts shouldn't have to be given to bring family and friends together to connect. A dinner is all that is needed however it all relates to how the persons family celebrates it though.

Unknown said...

I have learned about something that I didn't know much about, except for the obvious observations. Thank you for this post.

Unknown said...

"What's that chocolate money that the children eat?" I know its called Hanukkah gelt, but why it is on Hanukkah we feed our children chocolate money?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I am not completely sure and did not encounter anything pertaining to that tradition in my research. It could be an alternative to giving children money, particularly young children who prefer chocolate to money, but those are my thoughts, not professional opinion. :)

Jaeda Lowe said...

I always thought of Hanukkah as being a holiday that involves a lot of gifts, and I thought they was lucky because they not only celebrate it one day its for like seven days.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany Heavens
- This post really helped me understand how Hanukkah is celebrated. Before reading this I just thought it was just like Christmas just having to light candles. It is cool how they have set rules on how Hanukkah goes.

Unknown said...

I always thought that Hanukkah was very similar to Christmas but after reading this article I see I was totally misinformed.

So children are not required to gets gift every night doing Hanukkah ? Also is there a Hanukkah Santa?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Gifts are not a requirement of this holiday, and there is no Hanukkah Santa. :)

Anonymous said...

I just learned that the candle they light up is called a Menorah. I've always wondered why they light 8 candles and in the passage I found out why. In the passage it stated"The Jews sought to rededicate the temple by lighting the menorah, a candelabra, which was to be lit each night as part of the ritual, but they did not have enough oil to complete the ritual prior to getting more. Miraculously the little oil they did have lasted for eight days, which corresponded with the amount of time it took to acquire more oil. The Jews declared this a miracle and observed it annually." This is why they lit 8 candles.

Monique McAllister

Miah White said...

Growing up I learned about Christmas and Kwanzaa but never really learend about Hanukkah this was interesting.

Anonymous said...

I've never celebrate Hanukkah but i've always wanted to! When i was in high school one of my teachers would tell us about the holiday. This blog post was very interesting.

-Daisha Benton

Seth Holyfield said...

This post really helps you gain a better understanding about Hanukkah. I always thought it was closely related to Christmas and thought the biggest part about it was receiving gifts over the eight day period.

Chaviz Nguyen said...

I generally felt that Hanukkah was fundamentally the same as Christmas however in the wake of perusing this article I see I was completely deceived.

Anonymous said...

Growing up and hearing small things about Hanukkah but i didnt know that Hanukkah is meant to celebrate the victory of the Jews over Antiochus IV, and that he who banned the practice of Judaism in Israel in 165 B.C.E. that was interesting to me because i didnt know,
AInya Lomax

Anonymous said...

Going back to Antiochus IV I really, really don't understand why Judaism has been attacked so much throughout history, it baffles and angers me knowing I have Jewish ancestors and relatives. It's just what they grew up with, I've heard it used as an insult more times than I'm comfortable with.

Anonymous said...

This helped me know more about hanukkah. I think that it is nice how every culture has their own tradition for almost everything. This is cool how they light the candles for eight nights and each night they do different things.

Kenneth Granger

Unknown said...

Let me first say thank you for this post, I have enjoyed many of your posts but this is by far my favorite. It upsets me how not too many people truly know the horrors of Antiochus and how he was truly a cruel "leader".

Anonymous said...

Amber Barnes
I never realized that hanukkah was so important to the jewish faith. I am also really curious as to why people wanted to eliminate it so bad. Why is that?

Apre'shana Page said...

I am one of those people that never really understood what this holiday meant. I do however know some Jewish people who don't see this holiday as a big deal now I wonder why. It may be because all of the opinions by people who have little knowledge of the meaning of it.

-Apreshana Page

Anonymous said...

My family doesn't celebrated hanukkah and never had friends or anyone else that has, so this blog gave me some understanding of what it really mean and how they go about with gifts. but after reading the blog i understand this holiday is not about the gifts.

-Micah Seals

Anonymous said...

I know a few people that celebrate Hanukkah and I know a few things but after reading this article I just found out more than usual. Never celebrated this and most likely never will because its not apart of my religion.
- Anthony Townsend

Anonymous said...

I found this article very interesting. It help me understand the true meaning of the celebration of Hanukkah.

-Aide Gonzalez

Kierria said...

This blog made me realize so much more about Hanukkah and have an actually meaning of the holiday. Awesome blog I really enjoy reading it.

Anonymous said...

This blog was more of an eye opener for me just because I already had a little bit of knowledge on Hanukkah it is not something I celebrate but it was something I was taught in grade school and something I really enjoyed learning about . -Mykia Chaney

Monay P said...

Hanukkah reminds me of Kwanza. Even though there are two different meanings, they both still practice the candles being lit each day. This blog made me realize so much more about Hanukkah and have an actually meaning of the holiday.

Unknown said...

I feel like I learn more and more about Hanukkah every year. I find so much interest in the way other religions and cultures celebrate their holidays. Even if their choice is to not celebrate I find their reasonings fascinating. From this blog I learned how the families are not concerned about the gifts. This time is spent with loved ones paying it forward to others and being grateful for everything they have.

Kahla Perry

Unknown said...

When studying different holidays it’s intered I’ve never took interest into learning this. I’ve never known that this holiday is based around the sacrifices Jews have to endure. I think and 8 day holiday really gives one time to get in tuned with themselves through the practices and prayer on this particular holiday.
-Jazlyn Logan

Taylor Morris said...

I love how Hanukkah is so much more than gift giving. It has a deeper meaning to it and reading this blog helped me understand it better.

Unknown said...

When I think of Hanukkah I think of giving gifts and lighting a huge candle I never understood what it was until I read this blog post. I'll be doing more research on this. Great blog.

-Tae'lor Pearson

Anonymous said...

This was an interesting post. Growing up i only really learned about Christmas and Kwanzaa. I never really learned about Hanukkah, i think its cool that they get eight days to for their practices and prayers.
-Kyla Thomas

Unknown said...

keith mconnell learning about the jew culture is very interesting but my question is what does the candles mean

Anonymous said...

It was nice to learn more about Hanukkah and how it is celebrated. I was not aware of the meaning but it is nice to know that it's to honor the memory and sacrifices of Jews over the centuries.

Elaine christopher

Marcquasia A said...

This was a very interesting blog because at first I never really understood what exactly this stood for. This holiday kind of describes a inner war, fighting for, returning to traditional moral or human values, based on connections between people.