Saturday, May 16, 2015

Gift Giving Guide: Anthropology Style 3.0

Do you have a special anthropologist in your life that is deserving of a gift or token of your appreciation?  Be it for graduation or just because you may want to consider any one of these great gift ideas for the anthropologist you know...

For the Cultural Anthropologist

Cultural anthropologists are always off and talking to people.  They individuals on the go.  So why not get the cultural anthropologist you know a swanky bag to help haul all their tools of the trade (e.g. notebooks, tape recorders, cameras, etc.)?

Handcraft bag for sale from ArteOtomi
 
This bag by ArteOtomi is one such bag that you can purchase.  This handmade creation is one of many items that you can purchase.  Each items is crafted based on Otomi artistic traditions and are fairly traded items from Mexico.  Ultimately, it's a win win when you purchase from these artisans.

For the Archaeologist

A lot of people assume that archaeologists are constantly in the field, excavating really cool sites in exotic locales, but in actuality archaeologists spend quite a bit of their time in libraries and archives, conducting research, or in labs, analyzing the artifacts & materials that were excavated.  Most archaeologists enjoy being outdoors, so why not provide a little bit of the outdoors for the archaeologist you know?

Maya Period Succulent Planter by NomadicJourney

NomadicJourney has several items, ranging from other planters to handmade notebooks.  Each items is suitable for the archaeologist in your life, but this planter is my pick for the archaeologist in your life, particularly if that archaeologist works at ancient Maya sites.

For the Linguistic Anthropologist

Linguistics is the study of language.  This makes it often difficult to find the perfect gift for a linguistic anthropologist, but why not show your love in many different languages around the world?

"I Love You" and World Maps Prints by JoyGoldsteinStudio

This print set by JoyGoldsteinStudio may be the perfect gift for the linguistic anthropologist in your life.  If not this store has other options, including several prints that focus on focal language and dialects.

For the Physical Anthropologist

Physical anthropology is one of the most diverse anthropological subdisciplines, which makes it both easy and challenging to find the perfect gift, but do not fear because TaylorCustom is here!  This brilliant artist makes a variety of key chains, necklaces, drawer pulls, and more that cover several of the sub-subdisciplines of physical anthropology.  He has primate earrings, a mummy locket, and hominid key chains!

Homo erectus keychain by Tcustom

I have this keychain and have purchased others as gifts for other evolutionary minded individuals.  I can attest to the quality of his work.  You cannot go wrong!  And as an added bonus he makes items that are perfect for musicians, biologists, geologists, and even archaeologists!

For more gift ideas please check out the previous posts here, there, and everywhere!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! These artistic creations are pretty fantastic. I love the temple sculpture and the skull key chain. I went to the ruins of Tulum a couple years ago and absolutely loved it! The temples were incredible and much bigger than I thought. I just wish I could go back in time and see them for what they actually were, since most were in rubble.

I am also a fanatic for jewelry. I don't have more but I wear more than most woman, basically all I have is what I wear. I love rings and necklaces the most and I have made a few myself. I will have to check out Taylor Custom! The skull key chain is very cool looking!

Thanks for the post!

Zachary Forrester
Anthro 101 3001 summer

Anonymous said...

Even being a major in accounting these items are very interesting and I LOVE the bag! Supporting local and small businesses are more of my interest in this matter as I'm not an Anthropologist or Archeologist.

Nicole Grimes
Anthro 101 Summer

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I <3 my Paranthropus boisei key chain. I have purchased three key chains from Taylor Custom (myself and gifts). All top quality. I highly recommend the products.

Anonymous said...

This is fun. I visited Guatemala many, many years ago and went to the town of Chichicastenango. While I was there I purchased a huipil in the market that I brought home. I had it in a drawer for years before about 10 years ago I had it made into two pillows, one of which I am using for back support as I write this. Every time I look at them I see the church in the square and smell the hanging incense swinging back and forth. The purse reminds me of another native shirt I had bought that I need to use.

Paige Stevenson
Anthro 101 Summer II

Katy said...

I love the planter and the key chain. I smell my Christmas list getting two things longer!!!! Even without being an anthropologist, these gifts are great for others too

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend is studying Linguistics. I find her little things with sayings from other cultures all the time. I like this idea of her. She's actually one of the only people I know that can read my tattoo that is a Latin phrase, "amoris vulnis idem sanat qui facit " .

Sabrina Albright said...

These would be great for people who are interested in bringing more culture and even for people who travel or dream of traveling. im definitely looking into this for christmas

Anonymous said...

These items are all so interesting and cool like the key chain who wouldn't want one and the hand bag that was used for trade is pretty smart instead of buying things you make things to trade for other stuff you might need it's all so neat.


-Erick Anguiano

Jesus Cardiel ANTH 205 said...

This post is really cool, I like how their are certain gifts for the type of person. I like the key chain and the planter having the idea of giving them something to remind them of the outside. I might have to look into some of these gifts for me and as well as my family as they are definitely interesting.

Kevin Izykowski said...

I wish I had more friends in the Anthropology field and knew some people. These are really cool gifts, especially if I had a girlfriend and she probably would like that purse.

Anonymous said...

These creations are AMAZINGGGG!!! Looking at gifts are so interesting whoever loves anthropology would love these.
Aaliyah Caldwell

Anonymous said...

Tiffany Heavens
- The bag is a cool way for anthropologist to express their own culture in the midst of all the traveling.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy the creativity of all the gift options shown above. What is your favorite anthropological gift you have received?

Anonymous said...

I like the bag, the colors are what caught my attention. I also like that it handmade. I went to high school for fashion design and we made lots of cool things like that and more.

-Kyla Thomas

Unknown said...

these gifts are very creative. - Lavonza Marshall