Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holiday Gifts for the Anthropologist!

It's that time of the year again where everyone is filled with holiday cheer and panicking about what to get that special someone.  If you know an anthropologist (or anyone interested in anthropology), then look no further because here are some awesome gifts that myself and several anthropologist friends recommend:

For the Physical Anthropologist:

Zazzle your favorite physical anthropologist with t-shirts, mugs, aprons, watches, and other useful gadgets.  The theme of the gifts covers the full gambit of the physical anthropology subfield, including paleoanthropology and forensic anthropology.  My recommendation is a play on the popular "I love Lucy" franchise:




 If your physical anthropologist is a baker, they probably have seen and been pining over these muffin pans that produce skulls and brains!  Available through Fab
 
 And for the globe traveling Physical Anthropologist, there are the Alexander McQueen luggage collection.  A favorite by many Physical Anthropologists, but be prepared to pay a pretty penny for this set:


 For the Cultural Anthropologist:

Chances are that if you know a cultural anthropologist, you know that they have some pretty strict moral codes in regards to ethical treatment of people.  This can make finding a gift at a mainstream store quite difficult, but never fear, there are several ethical options available.  One of my favorite places to frequent for such items is Etsy, which contains handmade items from many local artists world wide.  Here are a couple of options available via the website:



Available through https://www.etsy.com/listing/110676162/anthropology-journal-notebook-diary?ref=sr_gallery_11&ga_search_query=anthropology&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=anthropology
https://www.etsy.com/listing/160392163/1935-melanesians-australians-peopling?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_query=anthropology&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=anthropology

 You should also check out SERRV, "a nonprofit organization with a mission to eradicate poverty wherever it resides by providing opportunity and support to artisans and farmers worldwide."  They offer a variety of fair trade items for sale via their website, from home decor, clothing, kitchen items, food, and so much more!

For the Archaeologist:

Soap!  JUST KIDDING!  Although I wouldn't turn down soap.  If you do decide to give this as either a legitimate or gag gift, I highly recommend something nice, such as products by Batty's Bath, who produces environmentally conscious hand made items that are great for all types of skin, particularly those with sensitivities.

The Tresses to Toes soap is an all purpose soap that is fantastic for the traveler, which many archaeologist do-be it domestically or internationally!

Cafe Press has several great gifts for the archaeologists that you may know.  I highly recommend this t-shirt:


For the Linguistic Anthropologist:

Cafe Press saves the day again here!  Mugs, tshirts, aprons, and more!  Many of these gifts double as great gifts for English majors.

And for the grammar geek friend, here's several options available here: Gifts for Grammar Geeks!

18 comments:

johanna trelles said...

I like the skull muffin pans.

girlmeeko said...

I loved the luggage and the reference to soap for the archeologist. Ha ha!!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea with the skull muffin pans, its a great idea since i love to bake so it may come in handy.
briana banuelos
anthro 102 1001

Anonymous said...

I just can't get enough of the physical anthropologist gifts! I love the skull bowls and I can't wait to see what other prodcuts are made. I think I am going to have to get that rib cage suitcase, just to have it!

These are awesome gifts!

Zachary Forrester
antrho 101 3001 summer

Anonymous said...

We moved Christmas to June 25th to make it more convenient for us. I will keep this in mind for next year.

Unknown said...

Cool Christmas wish list. So is this the apple on the teachers desk move? lol Well those are cool , but i think the skull muffin tins are awesome i might get those for myself.

Unknown said...

Even though right now Christmas gifts are out of the question, my coworker is a grammar geek, majoring in English, and his birthday is in a couple of days so this blog post was perfect! I now know what to get him for his birthday, thanks!

D.Traywick said...

I might have to get the muffin pan if it's still available. I'll make some cornbread muffins and eat them right up.

Steven Benton said...

I believe the "Keep Calm and Major In Anthropology" note book would be perfect to use in the chapters that were beginning to learn. It wouldnt be easy to loose and before you even open up to the front page, you would already be prepared that there will be good notes in it.

Mara Caudel said...

I have a friend that is an anthropologist so this gives me great ideas about what to get her for her birthday!

Unknown said...

I think eating a skull muffin would definitely call for an interesting experience. Im sure they would stay delicious!

Anonymous said...

I liked the skull muffin pans and the luggage because of the color you can never go wrong with white. I was thinking about purchasing the luggage because well it is pretty stinking cute but it says it would cost a pretty penny Lol. Well that sounds like it is out of my budget but it was very nice to look at . - Mykia Chaney

Unknown said...

I have a cool teacher that is an anthropologist I know she would love if I was to get her the skull muffin pans & the luggage

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

If you're referring to me, thank you, but I must decline any such gifts. For one there's the matter of ethics. Also, I have used similar muffin pans, and it is a lot of work (and overall giant pain in the bum) to get the skulls correct. And I also have too much luggage. A problem of moving and traveling too much over the years.

Sinclaire Baker said...

The luggage is a really neat thing to find and give to someone as a gift. like while youre traveling somewher your fellow anthropoligist will all ask where you got it from, plus its just the color classic white so it can spotted anywhere. You should look into getting it for yourself actually.

Anonymous said...

if i knew an anthropologist then the keychain would be my go-to! it seems to be the cheapest thing on here,
-jasmine busby

Anonymous said...

My favorite gift to give would have to be the journal. Im a journal person myself. its always good for idea holding, goals or venting. im sure someone would love it.

-Kyla Thomas

Nick Moore said...

These are some good ideas but I’ll have to choose the shirt or the key chain to have for a long time.

Nick Moore