Monday, July 15, 2013

10 Ways to Promote Public Awareness



This article was originally written for the CAPA Newsletter (Spring 2010).  It is my original work and is being republished herein.

Interested in raising public awareness of Physical Anthropology or Anthropology in general?  Need ideas on how to do it?  Or are you just looking for ways to improve ideas that you already have?  Look no further!  Here are ten different ways to promote public awareness. 

  1. Write a travel blog!  We often get to travel to far off, exotic locations in order to conduct research, or sometimes we just work in our own backyard.  Either way, blog about it!  You can create a blog on one of the various blogging website (e.g. Blogger, Live Journal, Windows Live Spaces, etc.) or if you have Facebook, Twitter, or MySpace, just periodically update your friends with quick updates.  I recommend including pictures as they draw attention in and can more meaning than text.
  2. After school programming!  There are several after school programs out there, such as the YMCA, who welcome volunteers.  Take advantage of the after school energy in the children by developing interesting and creative games, activities, etc. that are informative and fun.
  3. Help a Boy/Girl Scout Earn a Merit Badge!  If there is a local Boy/Girl Scout troop in your area, ask them if they have any merit badges related to your area of study and see if they are interested in working toward that badge.  The Boy Scouts of America have an archaeologically-themed merit badge which requires scouts to learn about several different cultures and volunteer with an archaeologist at an excavation site or laboratory. 
  4. Visit Your Old High School!  This is convenient if you are at home and got a little time on your hands.  Talk to your old teachers and see if they are interested in having you create and present a lecture to their new students.  It is particularly handy if you speak with History, Biology, or Social Science teachers depending on your area of research.
  5. Get creative!  Do you have a flare for the dramatic?  A way with words?  An artful approach?  Use your talents to your advantage!  Create works of art focusing on Physical Anthropology.  Photography, painting, dance, film, music, web design, etc. are great ways to get the public’s attention and can be a fun and useful distraction from everyday research.
  6. Give Back to the Community!  If you are highly motivated, you may want to try your hand at organizing a charity event with the charity being a Physical Anthropology related group.  Your charity event could be as simple as auctioning off donated items to something more complex like a special event at a bar or a Battle of the Bands.  Please note that the more complex the charity event the more time and energy you will have to spend on it, particularly if you have not already developed contacts.  Larger events may be best done in groups in order to delegate jobs and better manage time for both research and the event.  Do not let that discourage you from taking on the challenge, however, as these events are fun for both the public and the organizer(s).
  7. Museum Lectures!  A museum is the perfect place to provide the public with information about your research: possibly even better because those attending the lectures are keen on learning in an academic type setting.  These types of lectures do not have to be overly creative, and they are perfect opportunities to practice conference presentations or prepare for speaking in front of larger groups.
  8. Volunteer at the Museum!  Not quite ready to present research?  No problem!  Volunteering at a local museum is a great way to contribute to the community, gain valuable contacts, and learn about other areas of research that you may be interested in or unaware of.  Also, encourage people to visit the museum to which you are volunteering.  One cannot inform the public without their presence.
  9. Form/Join a Club!  If there is a local club/organization which is within the realm of your research interests, join it and get involved in their activities.  If one does not exist, it may be worthwhile to form one.

And when all else fails...

  1. TALK ABOUT IT!  If you are not comfortable or unable to do any of the above nine ideas, then follow the KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) philosophy: just talk to people about what you do and why it is important.  This is usually quite easy since what you do will eventually come up in a conversation, so be sure to take advantage of the opportunity and promote, inform, and educate your listeners.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few year ago, a group of fellow YMCA counselors and I put together a mock trip around the world for the elementary-aged children who were part of the after-school program. The older children had a chance to research different countries and some of their cultural features (language, foods, customs, etc.), then present their findings to their younger peers as they rotated from one group to the next (or from one continent to the other).
It was really a neat project because all the students seemed genuinely interested in learning about diversity and similarities we share as citizens of the world.

Amanda Granger said...

All of these things sound very interesting. I was just recently back at my old high school in Pacific Grove California, it was a Sunday and it is summer so, can not talk to anyone. I have always been a shy type of person, I do not go and talk to people about things that interest me. I have very bad experiences with face to face talking about these kind of things. I do not do door to door or anything like that. And I do not do well in front of large groups of people, sometimes I faint. I think that I would enjoy joining a group at TMCC, but do not know how to find them or how to join. Plus, I do not live in the Reno area, I live 35 miles east of Reno. But I guess I need to look around when I am at the college next.

Amber Mang said...

I love the idea of targeting the youth in your local area. I believe that children are completely blank and open books when it comes to intelligence and they are capable of learning and enacting any lesson or education that they come across. Educating our youth is something that is extremely important to me, not only because I have children of my own, but because I honestly believe that children are whatever we choose to make them. I, too, was a girl scout in my youth and it taught me so many useful ideas and values, including the effects of discrimination and the loyalty that you can have with someone from a different culture.

Anonymous said...

I love going back and visiting my old high school and saying hello to old teachers and coaches! They all played a huge role in my life during high school, so going back and visiting them, is my way of saying thank you. Being a good kid during high school definitely has paid off compared to those who were always in the principals office.

-Shannon O'Hair ANTH 102

Unknown said...

These are very good ideas! I enjoyed reading all the different ways to get involved with my community. I am a volunteer right now ant the Humane Society so I'm technically giving back to the animal community. I will have to try some of these ideas out!

Kayley Phillips said...

I would love if an anthropologist came to the elementary school I work at to talk with the kids about their field. I think it is beneficial to start educating children on new things when they're young so they can explore all of the cool careers out there.

Unknown said...

Outreach is an important part of anthropology. Many people don't see it as an important field of study.

Steven Benton said...

Its always great to give back to the community. It also looks good on resume and just to do something instead of just sit around and do nothing. Learning is a key factor in a childs life and im glad they teach the youth at young age because as they grow you can see how much of a big jump they make in life. With the technology we have now a days though the only down fall is kids having phones at a super young age and it can distract them from more important events or news.

Mara Caudel said...

Getting involved in my community has always been important to me!Some of these different tips I have never thought of. I love getting new ideas on how to get involved!

Miah White said...

i love being involved, finding ideas and so on. i wish more people would stay involved with the community

Anonymous said...

I liked the different way physical anthropologist can promote public awareness and the fact most are really giving or giving back to a community with knowledge and leadership. I think my favorite would have to be visit your old high school because then you really have a true connection to the new students because you have seriously been where they have and you can relate and possibly spark their interest into your field better. -Malachi Brewer

Sinclaire Baker said...

I have never personally been someone to be super involved with a lot of things but i have always wanted to change that! There is some really interesting tips you included in this blog. Anthropologist probably have one of the most productive forces to be able to get this message across to people.

Unknown said...

These are all factors that I feel has helped so much in awareness today. Joining clubs and giving back are two major ones for me because I feel as though it’s nothing like actually being the one to make a change. Being that one to bring the awareness with simple ways like said above “ TALK ABOUT IT!” It’s as simple as that, but doesn’t just stop there. People need facts and information to support the situation that needs the awareness. However it all can get done , SO GET OUT THERE AND DO IT . Simple , right? So we think .