Saturday, November 16, 2019

We Got the Beat: Investigating Ethnomusicology

Image Source: Pitt Rivers Museum


Like so many previous postings today’s blog post was actually inspired by real life events (which are discussed in another blog post).  These events reminded me of a scarcely discussed area of anthropological inquiry that is very familiar to everyone but hardly critically assessed.  This is the field of ethnomusicology, which will be further discussed in regards to what it is, how it provides greater insights into what it means to be human, and what specifically can be done in regards to applied anthropological undertakings.

Ethnomusicology is the study of various musical styles and genres and their social and cultural contexts, expanding from just the study of the form of music to also understanding the processes of creating, performing, circulating, and receiving music based on one’s gender, race, ethnicity, religion, etc.  Ethnomusicology draws upon a variety of disciplines, including music, anthropology, psychology, folklore, history, and identity studies.  Each of these areas provides greater insights into the psycho-social aspects of study that ethnomusicologists seek to answer, such as how specific musical styles came from specific groups, the creation or taboo of specific musical styles, the messages carried by various musical forms, the relationship between economics, gender, age, religion, etc. with musical genres, and more.  Ultimately, ethnomusicologists study the form and function of music, seeking to understand how music is created and why.

To answer these questions ethnomusicologists employ a variety of ethnographic field methods, including participant observation, interviews, and recording performances.  Historical research to identify and understand music throughout time and place is also regularly used.  Through these methods a variety of different genres, from rock to tube and throat singing, and styles, including Angolan kuduro techno to Guinean praise poetry, have been recorded, studied, and as applicable preserved.

Ethnomusicologists find work through a variety of different avenues, including research, education, and public engagement.  While many ethnomusicologists work as music educators or researchers in primary, secondary, and higher education institutions many are finding work outside of academia.  They work in museums and archives with current or new collections; arts coalitions to elevate the status of musical traditions; media companies in securing new artists, particularly indigenous musical artists; as lobbyists to secure greater funding of music programs through educational and recreational agencies; and more.  Ultimately, the possibilities are endless for individuals interested in music and anthropology, allowing for flexibility and the ability to pursue one’s musical interests further and to be paid to do it.

Bibliography

The Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford. What is ethnomusicology? 2012. Electronic. 26 September 2019.
Society for Ethnomusicology. About Ethnomusicology . 2016. Electronic. 26 September 2019.
UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music. What is Ethnomusicology? 2019. Electronic. 26 September 2019.
University of Washington School of Music. Ethnomusicology. 2019. Electronic. 26 September 2019.



13 comments:

Unknown said...

My Name is Cai Long and I am currently taking an Intro to Anthropology course. I personally have a passion for music not only towards certain genres but music overall. I find it unique that no matter how much opposite cultures differ, they all use music to express something. Rather its religious reasons or sitting back having fun music plays a factor. I had no idea that music and anthropology could mix in a career field so that's a new fun fact I learned from this post. Ethnomusicology sounds like something I would be interested in looking more into. The overall creation of music seems very complex but its uses are all so simple and understanding.

breonia gregory said...

I myself was a member of the marching musical storm here at Lincoln University and I find this Ethnomusicology interesting. I know personally some songs are culturally tied to our band program and the way we play them are a tradition of our band culture. Nice to know it has a actual definition. -Breonia Gregory

Camryn Pryor said...

I find this post very intriguing. I recently came across a post on a form of social media about Native American drumming. some non- Native Americans were performing for a video with the drums. I noticed some comments slamming this group because they weren't of Native American descent (or didn't appear to be), stating that the drumming was not even being done in a historical manner. Do you think that people of different culture take things out of context sometimes? I wonder this because maybe they were of Native American descent or maybe they were trying to shine light on this cultural form of music without knowing they potentially weren't doing it correct.

Malalia Siafa-Bangura said...

I never knew how broad the anthropological field was. There are literally opportunities for everything. Ethnomusicology is super interesting because it's the study of music in it's social and cultural context. I'm african so sometimes when I'm listening to african music I don't think about the music in a social sense, if that makes sense. I can just feel the culture. -Malalia Siafa-Bangura

Unknown said...

Ehthnomusicology is an interesting study that coincides with some of my thoughts on rap music. Every other time I see a new music video, I wonder whether society's impression of rap music and African American culture would be any different if they looked closely at the contextual relevance of the material. Music videos give artists of many genres creative expression so I keep thinking that this is an undersung (mind the pun) tool that anthropologists and social scientists can use to better understand the motivations and perceptions of modern cultures. I didn't even know there was a science actually dedicated to ideas like mine, so it's really inspiring to know that music is already used in this way.

Tori Spencer, Intro to Anthropology

Anonymous said...

Ethnomusicology is so broad and I never knew. There are so many different opportunities through anthropology for people who have any type of interest in music. Its so interesting and people who want to find out the background of where certain types of music came from, why it came about etc are creative. -castrele hoy

Chyann Taylor said...

I found this post mind-blowing because I didn't hear about ethnomusicology until I read the post about Mr. Witzman. My favorite thing about being involved in ethnomusicology is that there are so many different jobs possibilities, like a music history class. I would love to go to a museum of music and hear a ethnomusicologist speak on something.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
There are so many things that an Ethnomusicologists can do. I would be very interested in knowing how many people who focused in this area are currently unemployed.
Thanks,
Joell Davis

Unknown said...

Dr. Boston before reading this post I had never heard of Ethnomusicology, and I found it very interesting. I think it would be really cool and interesting to be able to study different types of music, and really being able to understand all aspects of the music from a culturally standpoint. I think music is something that we take for granted and no one actually fully understands everything that goes into the music and the making of of a song. I think it would be really cool to work within the field of Ethnomusicology.

Jessica Salmons

Briana Jones said...

This is my first time hearing of Ethnomusicology. I am no musician, but I love music. I think it would be an awesome thing to study. Knowing how and why music is created is quite unique I say.

Kenzell White said...

Ethnomusicology is something I would like to gain more knowledge on. I'm a person who listens to different types of music so I'm pretty sure this could help me in the long run now that I'm aware of Ethnomusicology.

Ammie Davis SA said...

Ethnomusicology seems a bit eclectic to me and I'm interested in learning more about music and its association within society and culture. I love how music can be inspired from just about anything, from feelings due to the nature of the world to pure boredom, music is able to provide us with entertainment and context.

FE said...

I played instruments my entire life and I never heard of Ethnomusicology. I learned that the study of ethnomusicology includes music, anthropology, psychology, folklore, history, and identity studies. as stated in the blog. I wish K-12th teach you things as like enthmusicology due to the fact that the new age kids love music so what no teach them the origin of music.-FE