Saturday, November 9, 2019

Spotlight on Students: Cultural Relativism & Ethnocentrism (Part 2)


The following is written by students, Maya Collier & Tori Spencer.  This post highlights their work that they completed as part of their requirements in SA 202: Introduction to Anthropology.  Students were given the opportunity to explore a different culture through two lenses: cultural relativism and ethnocentrism, and through this exercise learn about themselves and the other culture. Several students were given the opportunity to have their exemplary work featured on the blog, and the students who provided permission have their work featured here.   Please show your appreciation for her work through the comments.

Turkish coffee is typically served hot and drank on hot days.


By: Maya Collier

In life, an individual will oftentimes judge how a person lives their life because they are not accustomed to the way individuals do something. Being in Michael's situation there are many ways an individual could have come across this situation. We all have our different cultures whether we realize it or not. When learning about someone's culture we react in two different ways we either judge or do not judge. In anthropology, two terms are explored to help define the reactions we come across; ethnocentrism and cultural relativism. The goal of this paper is to explain how cultural relativism differs from ethnocentrism.

We do not hear cultural relativism and ethnocentrism in our everyday vocabulary.   Ethnocentrism is “the assumption that one's way of doing things is correct while dismissing other people's practices or views as wrong or ignorant” (Welsch et al. 11). Cultural relativism is “the moral and intellectual principle that one should withhold judgment about seemingly strange or exotic beliefs and practices” (Welsch et al. 12).

During Michael and Bao's interaction, Michael assumed that because it was a hot day Bao should have ordered an iced coffee, thereby acting in an ethnocentric manner. In American culture, we typically look for things to help cool us down, such as ice cream, icy drinks, and cold smoothies. For Bao it was much different; traditionally where Bao is from the heat is not as humid so he thinks to get a hot drink it will make him sweat allowing his body to cool down. Instead of Michael understanding that Bao's culture was different and taking the time to understand why Bao did not get an iced coffee on a hot day he thought Bao's idea was insane. It is oftentimes hard for people to grasp the ideas of other individuals’ cultures due to how accustomed they are to their values and beliefs. 

During the interaction, if Michael acted in cultural relativism rather than ethnocentric manner Bao would not have been confused and had to justify his choices. Instead of suggesting that Bao should buy an iced coffee, Michael could have shown cultural relativism by asking more about Bao's culture without holding any form of judgment. The whole idea of cultural relativism is keeping an open mind about the different cultures around you. Practicing cultural relativism allows an individual to produce a value-free understanding and interpretations (Welsch et al. 12). 

I was raised in a military environment, along with having many cultural backgrounds in my family. I would like to think of myself as a culturally relativistic thinker as opposed to an ethnocentric thinker. If I was Michel, I would have reacted the same way at first, thinking Bao should get something cold to help him cool off. After remembering where Bao is from and knowing that he probably does not do the same things as me I would begin to ask many questions. I would never think of Bao as insane or judge him for how he does think. 

When I attended Crowder College, I oftentimes gave tours to people all around the world. I met people from the United Kingdom, India, Africa, China, and the Caribbean. During a tour I gave one day the young man asked me, why is everyone so nice here. Naturally, I was confused and tried to grasp an understanding of what he meant, he began to explain to me people in his country have to do things for themselves and nobody helps others as much as they do in America. It made me remember that everyone has different cultures and upbringings around the world. I feel my approach was learning more toward cultural relativism rather than ethnocentrism.

Works Cited
Welsch, Robert L., et al. Cultural Anthropology: Asking Questions about Humanity. Oxford University Press, 2018.

*****************************************************************************


By: Tori Spencer


In chapter one of this course, we studied two different concepts for approaching other cultures. One is called ethnocentrism which is defined as “the assumption that one’s own way of doing things is correct while dismissing other peoples’ practices or views as wrong or ignorant” and can lead to bigotry and intolerance (Welsh, Vivianco, & Fuentes, 2017). This describes the base tendency for most people who have a natural bias that favors their own actions and behaviors. The problem with this notion is that if unchecked, we risk offending other cultures, retain narrow perspectives and remain culturally incompetent. In contrast, cultural relativism seeks a much less abrasive communication techniques. This is defined as the moral and intellectual principle that one should withhold judgment about seemingly strange or exotic beliefs and practices (Welsh, Vivianco, & Fuentes, 2017). Cultural relativism is opposite ethnocentrism as it leads to cultural competence instead of intolerance. Cultural competence is defined as “...the knowledge and interpersonal skills to understand, appreciate and work with individuals and families from cultures other than one’s own...” (Lum, 2003). It is easy to see how cultural relativism is preferred in many social situations over ethnocentrism, and to further support this point, I will analyze the Michael/Bao scenario in order to provide a more complete description of these two dynamics.
The ethnocentric approach to the passage assumes understanding before it is actually established. Michael’s first few sentences contains several such instances. First, there are better ways to say “It’s really hot out here” without referring to Hades, which is not a universal phrase. Some cultures may not discuss Hades in this context and may find it inappropriate. His second sentence is worded in an exaggerated and somewhat accusatory manner. Again, there is another way to ask about Bao’s behavior. Next, Michael corrects Bao by suggesting that he get an iced coffee instead of his choice. The ethnocentric perspective finds it appropriate to suggest that the other person choose the same things without question.
In contrast, the cultural relativist approach would prompt the response that Bao gives about his Turkish customs. If Michael was applying cultural relativism, he would have withheld the implications that Bao was wrong to choose what he did and he would not have suggested something else without hearing Bao speak first. Also, I notice that Bao was rather eager to share his perspective with Michael even after the uncomfortable exchange. I feel that simply asking Bao why he drinks a hot drink on a hot day would suffice to have prompted him to share his culture. This approach seeks to avoid the confusion in Bao who doesn’t understand what Michael is getting at.
I personally prefer the relativistic method. I am a minority that has not always fit into my own culture. I am not immune to ethnocentrism but as a person who grew up being judged even by others of my own culture, I learned at a young age to reserve judgement against others because I did not want to be judged. I have also learned that you do not really know someone just by looking at them. I have been surprised several times by things that people say because I did not expect it but again because I have been on the other side of that, I understand how it feels to be underestimated or misjudged. These experiences lead me to be especially careful to respect the way another person feels even if I don’t agree.
Ethnocentrism also tends to make outsiders feel ostracized, whether the topic in question is something the person can control or not. For example, I spoke with someone at a social event about a trip that I was offered and wanted to take to Los Angeles, California, but I had to decline at the time. The person did not understand why I could not go because her family could just pack up and take vacation when they wanted. She expected that my mother, siblings and I could just take off work together and leave with barely a week’s notice. It was clear that she assumed that all families have that luxury which made for an awkward conversation thereafter because she did not have the experiences that would allow her to consider my position (e.g. having a job, classes and familial responsibilities). It made conversations strained and eventually we lost touch because I felt my lifestyle was always under question even though she was a nice person outside of this particular peeve. ‘Why can’t you just do this? Why wouldn’t you guys just do it that way?’ She unknowingly spoke to me as if I was purposefully adding complications to my life, and at the time I did not confront her because I did not want to end up in a conversation about my family’s finances. I am proud of my family, but it was just an uncomfortable line of questioning, made me defensive and as if she was accusing me of wrongdoing. I know she did not mean it this way, still, I did not want to be in a situation where I had to teach her about other cultures.
In short, personal experience has taught me that ethnocentrism brings a much more restrictive conversation than cultural relativism which facilitates cultural competence. On the other extreme, I have been able to have conversations with a wide variety of individuals and occupations; I can carry conversations with doctors and health care professionals, researchers and students at conferences, international and local students at my university. The approaches of culturally relativistic approach encourages me to inquire about other cultures and people’s lives, which puts others at ease. Everyone remains open, honest and eager to share. This leads to cultural competence of the individual, which I personally define as cultural relativism combined with active involvement with those unlike ourselves.

Works Cited:

Lum, D. (Ed.). (2003). Culturally Competent Practice: A Framework for Understanding Diverse Groups and Justice Issues (6). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole CENGAGE Learning

Welsh, R.E., Vivanco, L.A., & Fuentes, A. (Eds.). (2017). Anthropology: Asking Questions About Human Origins, Diversity, and Culture (11-12). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ethnocentrism and Cultural relativism was presented to us in our SA-202 class in the beginning of the semester. I feel that both Maya and Tori gave great examples to understand and define the topics.While doing this same assignment, I remember stating that I would react the same way as Michael but also I was taught not to judge anybody or their culture . Great Job to you both!
-Jasmine Busby

Malalia Siafa-Bangura said...

I remember completing an assignment like this for my intro to anthropology class. I completely related to Bao, because as I previously mentioned, I'm african and in my family we drink tea all the time. Tea is like a miracle worker. So whether it's hot or cold, rain or shine, I'll drink tea no matter the temperature. Also, Maya and Tori did a great job on this blog!

Anonymous said...

I have friends from different places other than the United states and alot of things they do or eat isn’t the way the we do things here. I try to be an ethnocentric thinker when being around them because I wouldn’t want them think any kind of way about me. -castrele hoy

Chyann Taylor said...

I remember doing this assignment and identifying with Bao so much. I grew up following traditions from my indigenous, Spanish, and African American family and not everyone I grew up with knew about them. At times I was judged for it but I knew it was just ignorance on their part. Also, I resonated with Tori's explanation of outsiders being ostracized due to differences - it's not a great feeling but it happens more than we realize. Great job to Maya and Tori!
-Chyann Taylor

Kiara Shoulders said...

I remember doing this assignment earlier in the year. When I wrote about this assignment I thought about how many times I assumed everyone just does the same thing or understands each other. This assignment taught me that everyone comes from a different place and does some things different.

Kenzell White said...

This post shows how being aware of other cultures is so important. Growing up and going to diverse schools I've learned a lot of things that 1 group of individuals do for a living could be the complete opposite of what another group may do. In my opinion it's essential that we educate ourselves on Ethnocentrism and Cultural relativism.