Saturday, November 23, 2019

Applied Anthropology Profile: Sean Witzman, Resource Management Librarian and Radio Programming Host


Today’s post is part of a series of posts that focus on anthropologists working within the applied anthropology subdiscipline.  Applied anthropology is the application of anthropological theory and methods to identify and solve real life problems and situations that anthropologists confront within the course of their work.  

Sean Witzman, Resource Management Librarian and radio programming host of the KOPN program "Holy Victrola"


Several of you reading this post today may actually personally know or be acquainted with Sean Witzman, who serves as the Resource Management Librarian at Lincoln University and as a volunteer programmer at Columbia’s KOPN (89.5fm or KOPN.org) where he hosts the weekly program, “Holy Victrola.”  Regardless of whether you know Sean personally or not you probably never knew that he graduated with his Bachelors in Anthropology.  In fact, I (the author of this post and series) did not know until someone else mentioned it in passing, so I was very excited at the opportunity to interview Sean for today’s post.

Sean’s story about how he got into anthropology is a familiar one if you have kept up with this series.  He did not initially intend to major in anthropology.  He had originally planned on going into journalism to pursue his passion for music as a music journalist, but he was a lackluster student and did not feel he would have the grades to get into the University of Missouri’s journalism program.  As a result he fell into anthropology as it was a “natural” fit given his musical interests and the anthropological focus in ethnomusicology (the study of music from cultural groups, particularly focusing on non-Western groups).  Through anthropology he explored not only music but various other topics, which provided him a greater world view.  Anthropology also allowed him to hone his communication skills, particularly understanding communication in contexts and how much the contexts affects meaning in conversation, as well as strengthened him empathy for everyone around him that he knew and would encounter in the future.  These skills have assisted him in his current occupation as a librarian, another field he stumbled into as the opportunity came available to him. 

While Sean does not find too much use for his anthropological knowledge in his current position at Lincoln University, although he does use those communication skills honed through anthropology quite a bit, he actually draws more strongly from his anthropological and ethnomusicological background for his radio program, which showcases psychedelic underground rock of the world (aka, musical genres from around the world, particularly types not typically heard on mainstream radio).  He draws upon his anthropological knowledge to explore music, particularly indigenous styles of music, more fully, providing his listening audience with not only interesting melodies but information that he may not other get without his narration and explanations as he breaks down the indigenous styles from the Western influences.  Sean also notes that his anthropological background has enhanced his musical interests further, enriching his love as he pushes himself and his listeners to explore music further.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its good to know that sean fell into a field that he could relate to. I have 2 friends that winded up doing journalism here at lincoln because they heard the courses were "easy". Little do they know. that might be a field they hate doing later in life because they didnt look into it first. Im a Criminal Justice major but I also am a big fan of music in general and thats how I vent.
-Jasmine Busby

Anonymous said...

When one door closes another door opens. Congratulations to him on getting into a field that accepted him and also interested him. I too love music and anthropology is a great way to study it. -castrele hoy

breonia gregory said...

I found this post fairly interesting. I know a couple of journalism majors who don't use their major at all in their current field of work. I'm glad he could relate his knowledge of anthropology in other fields.

Camryn Pryor said...

This blog post hits close to home for me. Though I am not an anthropology major, I did not completely understand how much it impacts my particular field of study. I never knew much about anthropology until a college intro class, but through the class I have gathered some knowledge on a few skills that I think would help me in the long run. I love the statement on communication. Public speaking is a big part of agriculture, so I can relate to that!

Malalia Siafa-Bangura said...

I always find it interesting when people fall into majors that they never intended on majoring in. Its great to hear that Sean is able to relate his knowledge of anthropology to other parts of his life. I also find this story motivational, because believe it or not a lot of people tend to switch their majors for multiple reasons and seeing as though he found something that he connected with, he's able to focus on something that he loves. The opportunities are endless when you put your mind to it.

Chyann Taylor said...

I truly enjoyed this post due to me learning more about Lincoln's own family. It's also a nice lesson because not everyone falls into the major they intended to, but some positives can come out of it - like Mr. Witzman using ethnomusicology in his radio station.
- Chyann Taylor

Justin Mitchell said...

This is one of Lincoln's own. I support this 100%! I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason so i'm happy for him.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
It is good to hear that despite Sean not working in his field of study, he is doing something that he loves. I think it would be cool if Sean interviewed you, Dr. Boston, for his radio show. I believe it would be a very interesting show and expose listeners that do not know much about the field to information that they can use.
Thank you!
Joell Davis

Unknown said...

Dr. Boston I think it is really cool that you were able to interview someone that works for the school and many of us know personally. Every time I walk into the library he is in there, so it's really cool. I also found it very interesting that he was not originally going to school for anthropology. I personally think a lot of us change our minds on what we want to do while in school. I think its really amazing that he has been able to learn so much and do so much with his anthropology degree within the field of music. Although you mentioned that he may not be using his anthropology degree much, I think it's really cool that it is still expanding his interests.

Jessica Salmons

Kenzell White said...

This post displays a lot on how having anthropological background is essential. Dealing with music on the daily you will definitely encounter a variety of different cultures and religions especially if you're open minded. I found myself learning a lot about different cultures through music so I'm pretty sure with Sean Witzman being a radio programming host he has also learned a lot.

Alexa Holzschuh said...

This post was very inspirational, while being realistic. He knew what he was capable of what he needed to do. Even though it was not his initial plan, in the end it worked out!
-Alexa Holzschuh

FE said...

I love when people find there own passion and accidentally stumble across there passion in a career. What makes it better is he works at my hbcu. once again learned something new ethnomusicology (the study of music from cultural groups). Never heard of it until I read this article.-FE