Saturday, September 6, 2014

Paint By Numbers: An Alternative Way of Working Through Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium Problems



For many Physical Anthropology and Biology students, figuring out Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium problems is both challenging and dreadful.  Even I, as a student, had difficulties completing these problems, but I have learned some tricks that have assisted me in both completing these problems and teaching the concepts to my students.  I am sharing these tricks now so that students and educators can better handle this tricky subject.

The Hardy Weinberg Equilibrium (aka principle, theorem, model, or law) is a concept that was obtained by scholars Godfrey Hardy and Wilhelm Weinberg, and it is used to determine if genetic equilibrium, or lack of evolutionary change, has occurred in a population (see this post for explanations on the aforementioned terms).  In order for genetic equilibrium to occur, a set of conditions must be met, and these conditions include:

       Mutations must not be taking place.
       The population must be infinitely large.
       Individuals from neighboring populations must not introduce alleles into the population.
       Mating must take place at random and be equally fertile.
       Natural selection must not be occurring.

Although these conditions may be present in any given population, it may be difficult to determine with absolute certainty if all of them are taking place equally, producing genetic equilibrium.  This is where the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation comes in handy.  This equation utilizes a set of variables that represent certain aspects (in proportions) of the population and the answer of the calculated variables will demonstrate if genetic equilibrium is present. 
The Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation comes in two parts and are as follows:

P + Q = 1
P2 + 2PQ + Q2 = 1

At this point, people start to get cross-eyed, butterflies enter the stomach, some start to feel nauseated, etc.  Step one for understanding this problem is NOT TO PANIC!  As mentioned earlier, the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation is a set of variables that represent certain aspects (in proportions” of the population.  Each of these variables (from P to Q2) represents a specific aspect of the population, and this is the breakdown of those variables and what they represent:


  •   P denotes the dominant allele
  •   Q denotes the recessive allele
  •   p2 = percentage of homozygous dominant individual
  •   q2 = percentage of homozygous recessive individual
  •   2pq = percentage of heterozygous individuals 


(For an explanation of these terms, please go to this previous blog post.)

Figure 1: Paint By Numbers of My Little Ponies.  It is sometimes easier to think of Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium Equations as Paint By Numbers Kits than as math problems.  Source: Google Images
 
Now if you are still feeling anxious because you are looking back at the full problem and have math anxiety, stop thinking of the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation as a math problem.  Instead, think of it as a paint by numbers kit (Figure 1).  Each of those variables (from P to Q2) is just a different color that needs to be plugged into your paint by number kit, which in this case is your equation.  Please note that I have chosen the theme of My Little Ponies as a means of relaxing tensions that you may be feeling.  My Little Ponies was and is a popular children’s cartoon show, and much like children’s cartoons the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation does not have to be difficult or intimidating.  It can be fun and enlightening if you so chose to think of it that way, which I recommend because you will find yourself less scared of it if you chose to think that way.

Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation problems are often presented as a lengthy word problem, such as the following:

Figure 2: Apple Family (My Little Ponies); Google Images
 
In the land of the My Little Ponies, there exists a family of ponies known as the Apple Family (Figure 2).  This family has a unique set of genetic traits and is one of the few My Little Ponies that can and do produce ponies with green mane, which is a homozygous recessive trait.  In this family photo, we see eleven ponies with green mane.  The current population size of the entire Apple family is 100 ponies. 

Now this word problem can be very intimidating for a variety of reasons.  There is a lot of information present here, but this information is not here to confuse you.  It is here to assist you.  If you look closely in this problem, you have already been provided the information that gives us the Q2 variable:

green mane is a homozygous recessive trait...eleven ponies (have) green mane

We now know that 11 out of 100 ponies exhibit green mane, but we need to turn this number into a proportion (fraction or decimal).  To do this, we take 11 and divide it by 100 (11/100) and we get .11 as our answer.  This .11 now represents the Q2 variable.  We have one part of the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation completed, and believe it or not, it is now much easier to figure out the rest of the variables.

How?  We can figure out Q from Q2 by getting the square root of Q2, which in this case is .11.  Once you have calculated the square root of .11, you will have Q.  In this case, Q is .33 (rounded to the nearest 100th place).  Now if you look back at both parts of the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equation, you will see that P + Q = 1.  You have Q, so you can figure P.  You do this by subtracting Q (.33) from 1, which when resolved provides you with .67 (P).  You can check to make sure you completed this correctly by adding P (.67) and Q (.33).  If the resolution equals one then you have calculated P and Q correctly.  If not, then you need to go back to the previous steps and figure out where you may have gone wrong.  In this case, .67 + .33 = 1, so the equation has been completed correctly.

So far you have figured out three variables: Q2, Q, and P, but you still need to figure out P2 and 2PQ.  Now that you have the Q2, Q, and P variables represented you can easily come up with P2 and 2PQ.  You figure out P2 by multiplying P (.67) by itself.  In other words, .67 x .67, which when calculated gives you .45 when rounded to the nearest 100th place.  So now you know that .45 represents P2. 

Figure 3: PEMDAS (Unedited: www.mathgoodies.com)

Figuring out 2PQ is a little trickier because you have to remember the acronym PEMDAS.  PEMDAS refers to the order of operations in mathematics, and this acronym represents Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction (Figure 3).  You would set up 2PQ as follows:

2 (.67 x .33)

And following PEMDAS, you would complete the equation in the parentheses (.67  x .33) first, producing an answer of (.22) [again, rounded to the nearest 100th] and then multiply that answer by 2:

2 x (.22) = .44 = 2PQ

Now that everything is complete, this is what each of your variables is:
P= .67
Q= .33
P2= .45
Q2= .11
2PQ= .44

Once you have this information, you can solve for Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium, as well as figure out the number of homozygous dominant and recessive individuals as well as heterozygous individuals in a population.  You can learn all sorts of additional information about the population from this information, too.  Hopefully, though, the biggest thing you have learned is not to be intimidated by Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium equations and how best to calculate them.  All with the help of some My Little Ponies.




34 comments:

April B said...

Wow. Math; not my cup of tea at all. However, between this blog post, and the video you posted in the module, I believe this is making a little bit of sense now. I'm going to need a lot of practice but I think I'm off to a start. And all thanks to ponies.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

You can thank an exboyfriend of mine for the inspiration of the ponies. ;)

Unknown said...

This made it a lot easier... I'm definitely not a math person, and I usually give up on any sort equations half way through, but this made it a lot easier to follow. Pictures that correspond are definitely a big plus. Thank you!

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Happy to help. Remember, while math can be very frustrating (as I understand as I am not a math person), the key is to remember that this is not very difficult once you realize what the questions are asking for based on the information provided herein, hence the think of these equations as paint by numbers. If you think of them like that then they are less intimidating and easier to work through. :)

Anonymous said...

Math is not my strong suit so having the visualization of the My Little Pony helped put this into a little better perspective. I am not sure that I could do the process without looking at the examples.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

We'll go over it in class on Thursday some more, but the key here is to get over the math anxiety that many students feel and think of this as a paint by numbers situation where you recognize what specific variables in the equation mean.

Unknown said...

I never was really good at math but this blog post plus the video make it easier to figure out probability and percentage

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

The goal of this post was just met. :)

Unknown said...

Seems like some pretty basic math. Thanks, now I'm going to be thinking about My Little Pony during my next math test. You do break it down well and make it easier to see in this blog. Thanks

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Which for those who are math phobic may be a good thing. :)

Anonymous said...

I was having a great deal of problems with this as I was looking at this as a algerbic problem and my classmates recommened colored pencils it calm me down and my teammates were kind enough to walk me step by step the paint by numbers is an excellent simple way to perform this assignment without having a nervous breaks this was a tremendous help and I understa why it needs to add up to 1 and show to perform gbe matb eqations tank you to all who gave me guidance paint by numbers is an amazing tool

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

You're welcome, Valerie. Now keep in mind that p + q MUST always equal one in order to accurately complete the other longer part of the equation, but the longer equation will only equal one if the population is not genetically changing/not evolving. You will need to keep that in mind for the class data in the lab as some traits are not in genetic equilibrium, and that's perfectly OK!

Anonymous said...

I do understand that p + q = 1.
P2 + 2PQ + Q2 = 1 but if we are changing over time that mean evolution happening. Its the figuring out the homozygous recessive trait. Then make sure I plug it in the right spot. With some practice I will have it down.

Unknown said...

I'm really bad at math but this combined with some of the videos you have available for us has definitely made this formula make sense to me. I'm a little less scared to come in on wednesday! Sarah Howard ANTH 102-1002

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Happy to hear this, Sarah. Remember that if the anxiety returns that Keith and I will be there to help. And ponies. Dont forget the ponies. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post, the paint by number analogy is really helpful!! I got the math of it all, but this really helps me understand when and where to plug in the numbers.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Happy to help, Rachel. This is the same information that I presented in class several weeks ago, but I have learned that sometimes students learn through verbal/oral speech and sometimes they learn through reading the information. :)

Unknown said...

Anthropology 102:1002
I had to laugh when I saw the My Little Pony example, because they were my favorite growing up. This helped me figure out the math portion, and relive a part of my childhood. Thanks!!

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

And just in time for your midterm tomorrow! :)

girlmeeko said...

I know this stuff I understand this stuff backwards and forwards I can even explain it to other people, however, when I sit down to actually work out a problem it comes out wrong. Now this is like a dare to me. I WILL SUCCEED!!!! no matter how crazy it makes me or how long it takes me. There is no reason why my answers should be wrong. Nikki Meeko anth. 102

Unknown said...

At the time when we started this lesson I was struggling a little with the math portion and felt like I was stressing over it. But at the time I decided to check out your blog post and came across this one! Saved my life and made the problems easier to work it, especially with the my little pony example.

Anonymous said...

When i was doing a class assignment I had no idea how to do the problem. it looked like to many number and a lot of process to work with. However i asked for help and this was easy as i got the hang of it. As soon as i saw the paper my mind was a blur then i asked what i needed to do and it all made sense. It was a long working process but easy.
briana Banuelos
Anthro 102 1001

Anonymous said...

Wow, numbers, now my brains hurts...

I am no math person by any stretch; in fact, the only thing I recognized was PEMDAS. Awesome post even though it still confused me, much effort was put into this.

Thank you

Zachary Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Anonymous said...

Like the others that responded, I am not a math person. Half the time I can't even add 2 + 2 to come up with 4. I find it easier to understand using the paint by number concept but the biggest help would be if I had even the slightest interest in the subject.

Unknown said...

I liked how you broke this equation down and gave some really good examples. I remember you showing this in class and understanding how to calculate all the factors needed to find the answers. This was one of my favorite subjects in this class possibly because it was a little bit of math.

C. Medrano said...

I'm taking Bio 100 in conjunction with this class this semester. Evolution is the last module for the course (so running across this formula came right in the nick of time for finals!) Thank you for the clarity and humor with which this is presented. Arithmetic and algebraic operations like isolating variables are something I definitely needed to brush up on.

The manner in which anthropology has helped solidify concepts within Mendelian genetics, natural selection, and evolution is something that I owe a great debt to. Learning the devastating consequences that are brought upon by misunderstandings of the why's and how's of humans and humanity. Learning about the policies enacted U.S. politicans, past and present, in order to oppress or aid has been nothing short of enlightening and the perfect compliment.

Betsy Britt - Introduction to Anthropology SA-202 said...

When you say that natural selection can't occur for genetic equilibrium to happen, what do you mean exactly? I've always been told there were two types of natural selection. Genetics anomalies causing death is one, and the intelligence level and survival skills of each individual is another. Also, no changes to the environment should also be a prerequisite, as that can cause change to occur in the inhabitants over time.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Genetic equilibrium refers to no changes in the genetic profiles of groups of organisms. This means no mutations, no selection for certain traits over others as all are being selected for equally, etc. You can actually learn more about this topic and Mendelian Genetics (and punnet squares) in Anth 310, which is offered in the Spring 17 term.

Anonymous said...

The fact I have several math classes to take & I struggle with them this blog gives me a little hope and a different way to look at them definitely probability. Thank you!
Aaliyah Caldwell

Anonymous said...

Dalyla jordan
this made math seem a lot easier and quite fun! ill remember this blog for future references!!

Unknown said...

For someone like myself who hates math to the core, I will keep that paint analogy in mind because that is by far the coolest and most unique way I have learned to help solve problems.

Unknown said...

This is the first time I have been introduced to the Hardy-Weinberg equation, but I find it quite interesting. I love using the PEMDAS method and I can appreciate math in general, to a point. :) Thank you for explaining and simplifying each step. The My Little Pony example also helped a lot!
Makayla Peterman

Lavonza Marshall said...

Math is my very least subject, but this article gave me hope. i like how this broke everything down.
- Lavonza Marshall

Ezekiel Irons said...

Oh My God, We are incorporating math into anthropology now ? Math really is used in everything you do. Thanks for this blog post as it helped me with my discussion post.