Saturday, September 13, 2014

Applied Anthropology Profile: Dr. Jay Maxwell, Medical Resident

Today’s blog post is dedicated to the chronicle of Dr. Jay Maxwell, an anthropology student turned medical doctor.  Jay is currently a third year anatomical pathology medical resident in Ontario where he is charged with diagnosing pathological processes of various tissues in order to diagnose and treat patients.  On occasion, Jay is also tasked with performing autopsies under the guidance of a full staff pathologist.  Oddly enough, this is not an uncommon story I hear amongst physical anthropology undergraduate and graduate students.  As physical anthropology is a broad discipline that focuses on various aspects of human biology-both in the past and present-many physical anthropology students find themselves pursuing careers in medicine or dentistry. 

Jay’s current medical work parallels his previous interests in and studies in physical anthropology where he focused on paleopathology, the study of ancient disease.  His interest in physical anthropology was born out of his interest in human evolution, which was encouraged by his reading of Charles Darwin’s On the Origin of Species.  Jay pursued his interests in evolution while pursuing his bachelor’s degree, which resulted in his being enrolled in several physical anthropology courses.   And as the adage goes, the rest is history: “I ended up taking several classes in physical anthropology…, including a human osteology class. From day one I pretty much fell in love with all things bone, especially bone pathology and how diseases have changed through time, and I switched my major to physical anthropology.” 

From there Jay pursued not only a bachelor’s degree in Physical Anthropology but a Masters of Arts and PhD, as well, but it was during his doctoral studies that Jay felt that his interests and expectations in his studies required more than just a physical anthropological approach:

“…but the deeper I got into my research the more questions I had about bone physiology and bone chemistry that could not be answered in the anthropology literature alone, so I started heavily reading medical journals. At the same time I was taking courses outside the department in anatomy, pathology, and geology (stable isotopes)  and I was beginning to learn how important understanding soft tissue and the body as a system was in terms of interpreting bone lesions in archaeological contexts. Through these courses I was put in contact with several individuals in the medical field. Talking with them, hearing their experiences and learning how they applied the same kinds of information I was studying in past populations to modern living patients was fascinating. The idea that I could do similar research in both modern and past populations and that information could directly impact someone’s health and/or quality of life was intriguing.”

Jay did not complete his Ph.D. in Physical Anthropology  in part because of his research interests but also due to his personal circumstances.  His decision to enter into medicine was because of the freedom and flexibility it provided him both at the professional and personal level, allowing him to pursue his research while also not neglecting his personal commitments.  He acknowledges that his past work in physical anthropology and his current work in pathology have real applications in effecting public policy.  His past research aids in understanding how diseases have evolved and changed over time, focusing on questions of how and why-be it strictly biological or anthropogenic-those changes occurred, whereas his present work assists living populations today throughout diagnosis and treatment.  As Jay notes,  “The only real difference is the source and context around where or how the information potentially originates and I enjoy the basic work of both fields equally.” 

As for students considering entering into anthropology for a course or as a major, Jay has this advice for you:

"Do not hesitate to take a course or make it your major. Anthropology will provide you with critical thinking skills and an understanding of biological or social processes that will be universally applicable regardless of where you finally end up in your career. The knowledge base in anthropology is enormously broad and is encompassing. Your experience in anthropology won’t just be beneficial in a career, but it’s also one of those rare fields that will help you understand the world better as a whole. Because of this, anthropology will make you even more enraged when you read the letters section in a newspaper or an online comments sections, but you’ll also be awfully hard to beat in a debate!"

Author’s Note: I would personally like to take a moment again to thank Jay for taking the time to be interviewed for this blog post.  Also, while I harp on students about the hazards of over quoting a source, I felt it was necessary to put much of this post in Jay’s own words because his prowess in explaining his story is far superior to mine, and I felt that I could not do his story justice by putting it in my own words.  Again, thank you, Jay, and all the best to you and Allison. 





23 comments:

Jessica Kitchingman said...

I find it quite interesting that anthropology opened up the door of pathology for Dr. Jay Maxwell. Anthropology, especially physical anthropology, seems to be a very important major or minor that should be considered by any and all who go for a medical degree. And even for non-science majors like myself, it can definitely open up and broaden our views-- be it social, cultural, intellectual, etc. Thanks for this blog post!

Anonymous said...

I always thought of anthropology as a study of people and their cultures. I now realize that it is a very broad spectrum that reaches into the medical field. It makes sense that the study of genetics and how we are formed would help in the medical field in areas like forensics and disease. Very interesting post about just how much anthology could help open your career field.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I have known quite a few anthropologists who have become MDs or DDs (dentists), so the cross over is common. Many of them still find their anth background incredibly useful in the different field. :)

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

People always ask me what can they do with anthropology, and I always say: "What can't you do with it?!" It really truly is a versatile degree that compliments all disciplines. In fact, I have a friend who specializes in a hard science and he gets on me about being an anthropologist. Or at least he did until he called me for assistance on how to deal with people. At that point he admitted that there was use for anthropology and it "might be" a worthwhile discipline. ;) As many of the interviewees of this series have said it is what you make of anthropology. :)

Anonymous said...

This post was inspiring. I too am going into the medical field, and it is nice to know that studying anthropology is not just something I enjoy but that it can directly effect, and relate to my career choice. I have not decided yet if my medical studies will lead me to become a M.D. or a pathologist as I find both of the these fields are interesting and mean something to me. I thought that If I didn't become an Anthropologist that all of those studies would just be for my own knowledge and enjoyment. It is nice to hear about people's experiences as anthropologists and doctors.
Thank you for posting this article
Pawelek

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I have taught a number of nursing and premed students over the years, and many have left my classes feeling entertained by the subject matter but never quite make the connection with their own work (despite everything I say). I am glad Jay agreed to providing this interview as it will hopefully positively affect more students like you. :)

Anonymous said...

It seems like anthropology can be helpful in almost any field you pursue just because knowing what happened in the past will help you recognize and problem solve events that are occurring now! I really like anthropology because of all the possibilities out there for you to study and become immersed in!
-Laura Redl

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

And it's not just an understanding of the past that is helpful in understanding people, but understanding cultural diversity that exists today (and often times influenced by the past) aids in understanding all sorts of things today. For example, we can understand why certain groups are in conflict with each other due to their cultural values and differences, why certain groups perform marriage rituals they do, etc.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dr. Jay Maxwell for taking time to do the interview.
I have always loved anthropology and how to discover our past. Then taking the information and plugging it into a problem to help us find a answer to what you are look for (in many ways). Let it be, to find out how a species died to turning it into medicine. I feel that anthropology is a starting place to discover what you desire in life.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

If you liked this one, you should look forward to the one that will be going up sometime in November. I interviewed a local Medical Anthropologist who works on AIDS research.

Hayden Lloyd said...

Having knowledge in area's other than those that are directly involved in your occupation can always help you with your occupation. I was originally a computer science major before I switched my major over to paralegal/law, however, my previous education of computers has definitely helped me with my current major and with everything legal becoming electronic. I commonly study things that are completely disconnected from my usual areas of study and find the knowledge that I gain extremely useful in situations that I thought I would never have to apply them to.
-Hayden Lloyd

Anonymous said...

Who knew that anthropology was so much more than humans and bones. This is such a cool thing to talk about. I found the article very informative to find out what you are searching for. Its weird how a person can love something so much with out even noticing it. science is always an amazing thing and evolving with technology.
Briana Banuelos
Anthro 102 10001

Anonymous said...

It is quite impressive to me how broad anthropology really is and how many careers you can pursue with the degree. Being a doctor is a huge accomplishment and knowing anthropology can help get you there is pretty amazing.

Congrats Jay!

Zach Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Anonymous said...

It is people like Dr. Maxwell who give hope to the human race. Research and development people are finding new cures every day.

Anonymous said...

I'm not that informed about it but it seems more and more people are choosing to not follow a liberal arts education and focus only on what they want to make their career. I didn't realize how useful anthropology is. Everyone benefits from a understanding cultures and people.

Paige Stevenson
Anthro 101

Anonymous said...

It is cool to see the different ways that people apply their anthropological degrees. I usually think that anthropologists use there degrees to study more of the culture and environment of people rather than the diseases and physical aspect of people.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

If you recall there are four subfields of anthropology that were discussed in the first chapter, but all anthropologists have to have a holistic background in order to excel in their specific subdisciplinary field of study. :)

Charlie Goggin said...

Again, I love these posts! I find it the different ways people have come to their their careers and how different courses and courses of study have affected their choices. The more I learn about anthropology the more convinced I am that everyone should have to take a few classes in order to get a degree. I cannot help but believe it would make better citizens with a greater capacity to understand their fellow men and women but also to feel less threatened by the differences we all have. I think racism and other bigotries in society would grow less prevalent if people had more education in this area. Starting in elementary school seems like a good idea!

Unknown said...

I do agree with Jay that Anthropology will help you better understand the world as a whole. This was a very helpful blog that allowed me to see from another perspective on how to choose a major that benefits me the most, like Jay has done. I'm happy for him that he has found a career that he enjoys doing. Congrats Jay!

Anonymous said...

At first I never Anthropolgy would be used in everyday life, but of course I was wrong. This blog helped understand anthropology a little more than I did at first . Anthropology helps understands gender, sex, primates and other. Some things that is discussed everyday.
Aaliyah Caldwell

Anonymous said...

Jovie Black
Anthropology helped me understand a lot of things. I never even heard of an anthropologist, Its crazy that all these different degrees can go into certain types of fields and not just the one you studied. I like that he wasn't afraid to change his mind about what he wanted to do. I never have my mind made up, because its so many different fields I want to go into. Anthropology do help understand the world in different ways though.

Mara Caudel said...

We just talked about applied anthropology in class today! I didn't realize how much it actually covered! I agree will Jay when he said, "Anthropology will provide you with critical thinking skills and an understanding of biological or social processes that will be universally applicable regardless of where you finally end up in your career." I didn't realize this before I took this class and have learned a lot! Also considering taking another anthro class!

Anonymous said...

Dalyla Jordan
All 4 fields of anthropology is interesting in their own way! I'm learning anthropology is used so often and people just do not realize it. anthropology and the research definitely helps you understand the world better and how things are developed over time.