Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Importance of Reaching Out...

Today's post is a little off the beaten path from what I usually do.  Today I want to tell you about my recent experience with public outreach.

Talking about Chinchorro Statuette Mummies at the Discovery Museum.

Recently, I have been involved in several public outreach initiatives through the Discovery Museum.  The purpose of these initiatives is to educate the public about social sciences and anthropological subject matter, specifically Chinchorro mummies, but these talks have also been instrumental in raising the public profile of the museum itself,  TMCC (the community college to which I teach), and drumming up interest in anthropology.  This is particularly crucial right now when so many people could utilize anthropology but do not understand it or realize the utility of the discipline.  It is an ethical responsibility for all anthropologists to educate the public and disseminate research; an ethical responsibility made all the more crucial in our current economic and social climate. 



I personally enjoy giving these talks because I enjoy giving back to the community and capturing the public's imagination about my research, which some find fascinating and some find horrifying.  I find that these types of talks assist me in being a better educator as I learn how to navigate explaining the complexities of my research to a lay and diverse audience.  This talk, Mummy Mia! The Not So Musical Review of Chinchorro Mummification Practices, was geared to a primarily child audience, but I also had to be informative and entertaining to their parents.  Balancing that mixed audience is a challenging but rewarding.  I believe that I was successful based on the number of great questions I received from the children and adults.  I think I even convinced one young girl to go into anthropology.  :)  

   

But I definitely learned a lot about my own presenting skills and what I can improve on.  Overall, I felt that the whole experience was very worthwhile and great for myself and the audience.  If you are a scholar, academic, or professional in your field, I implore you to go out and work within your community to inform them about what you do-the utility, the importance, and the fun about it.  If what you do is your passion, share that passion with others.  The experience will be quite fulfilling.  I can promise you that.

 

18 comments:

girlmeeko said...

Good for you! Everyone in my household has to volunteer for at least 4 hrs amonth we usually do more it all depends. We pass out goodie bags to pets of those who are homeless we make up the bags our selves. My boys enjoy working for Reno bike project but they do not always need help.

Anonymous said...

This was a good article if people reach more we know what we can do to improve or what mistakes we can fix. I like the idea that Tmcc does this a lot.
briana banuelos
anthro 102 1001

Anonymous said...

I love your outreach to the public in teaching them ethic discipline! You have made the names fun by involving them with various play names! This looks very fun, do you have these often?

Zachary Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I am involved in many in the fall terms. There will be at least two in the upcoming term-one at TMCC as part of the Monster Panel and one at UNR. There may be a third, but that will be arranged in August or September.

Anonymous said...

I commend you and TMCC. I will try to attend some day.

Unknown said...

Do you still do these outreach programs? It is always interesting to get in front of people and discuss your expertize in a subject. How has your reactions been from the public in general? What has been your favorite question? Or put simply, what question that you could remember has made you think about the answer?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I do still do these. I made several announcements to my classes regarding the three I was involved that were available to the public earlier this term.

Kayley Phillips said...

Before taking this class I never knew what anthropology was or why it is so important but i definitely do now. I'm so glad I took this class and I'm happy I'm in your class because I truly enjoy your teaching methods! You're great at what you do.

C. Medrano said...

Do you find that there is a lack of interest in the discipline because of a lack public education regarding the field, or is it that many people undermine the utility to do being hamstrung economically (be it personally and/or professionally)? Do you feel that people dismiss it due to perceptions of it not being very lucrative?

I personally feel that my selected major is a personal luxury. Given the nature of philosophy departments in the U.S. (tenure-track is overwhelmingly offered to white males according to "The Stone" contributors), academia doesn't seem like an option at the moment. I feel that the only 'utility' (other than personal fulfillment) that my degree might offer would be only by virtue of a double-major or post-graduate education.

Was academia where you wanted to be when you started your degree? What is your opinion on mentorships? Have you benefitted from one/ would you mentor someone?

Congratulations on being so passionate about and actively engaged within your field. Everyone should be so lucky! (-:

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I think that people scoff at anthropology for a variety of different reasons, some of it being financial/economic, some being that it's not seen as a reputable occupation, etc. I have heard a variety of things when I tell people that I'm an anthropologist. As for my goals, I always wanted to teach, which is what I'm doing. I have been informally mentored, and I have mentored students. I supervise an Anthropology Mentorship program through TMCC, which is taken advantage of at varying rates throughout the year. I definitely think it has some utility, but individuals who are mentored have to take advantage of the opportunity that is available to them. And yes, philosophy is a tough field to get into in regards to academia. A number of female friends of mine who are philosophy PhDs have commented on that topic for years. :(

Betsy Britt - Introduction to Anthropology SA-202 said...

I feel that outreach programs are beneficial. Many professions are misinterpreted these days. Having someone who knows the subject explain it can help people make a more informed decision on a future career.

Steven Benton said...

For an example of reaching out to the community and people would this relate to the project that the class is going out on to search for items on some farm land? Showing that there are people interested in the field of anthropology at Lincoln?

Unknown said...

Would you give any other tips on public speech or ways one could better their public speech?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Don't read! Be animated. Know your stuff. Know and engage with your audience.

Ashley JAcobson said...

Good job to you Dr. Boston! Do you think doing all these out reach things helped you to talk in front of people better or have you always been a good talker in front of people.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

As I was explaining to my other students today practice makes perfect. Public speaking still terrifies me, but the results are why I do it.

Anonymous said...

After reading this I learned a few new things on speaking in front of large crowds and keeping calm while doing it because I am the worst when it comes to public speaking . Great job on this I am sure you helped many others on learning how to talk in front of people you definitely helped me . - Mykia Chaney

Julian Anderson said...

I really enjoy any sort of out reach programs. Would you consider our extra credit opportunity an outreach program when you spoke to us. I really enjoyed that day and learned a lot of information from you in regards to different types of beer. Thanks again for posting.