Saturday, October 15, 2022

Spotlight on Students: Halloween Themed American Phrases

This post highlights the work required of my SA 202: Introduction to Anthropology students.  Students were given the opportunity to explore an American phrase of their choice, researching its history and meanings over time. Several students were given the opportunity to have their exemplary work featured on the blog, and the students whose chosen phrase related to the American holiday of Halloween and provided permission to publish their work are featured here.   Please show your appreciation for their work through the comments.

Trick or Treat

By: Marcquasia Abraham

The phrase I chose was “trick or treat.” I decided to go with this phrase to inform more people about the actual meaning and why others say it. I always had a fascination with Halloween and why the theme seemed so darkened when I was younger. Growing up Pentecostal I was never allowed to even think about Halloween because it supposedly represents evil in my faith. Every October 31st we had to put a sign in front of our house that said, “No trick or treating.” I always wondered why. We also went to church at 8 pm to watch a movie about how Halloween is evil, and if you celebrate it only bad things shall come to you for the rest of the year. I never really understood the importance of the “trick or treat” saying until I did my research. To me saying trick or treat was basically a “sugar-coated threat.” It means give me what I ask for or there will be consequences, whether that means harming you or your property. 

            Where did it really originate from though? Although trick or treating is well-known to be an American tradition, its origins come from medieval Europe. It was originally known as a ritual that was performed by Christians that was celebrated either before or on November 1 every year. According to the passage: “Common features of these traditions are - asking for food, dressing in disguise and a connection to the spirits of the deceased. The US 'trick or treat' tradition is an archetypal example of this. The US 'trick or treat' tradition is an archetypal example of this. The language of these traditions is heavily influenced by the naming of days in the Christian calendar. The central date of the rituals that herald the beginning of winter is the 1st of November, called All Saints Day or All Hallows Day. The following day is All Souls Day and the 31st of October is All Hallows Eve - shortened to Hallowe'en (that is, the evening before All Hallows Day)” (2019, October 03). Although this was not just a tradition in America many other countries participate but word it very differently. For example, in Scotland they use the term guising. This is similar to “trick or treat” but the only difference is the kids had to entertain the adults through telling riddles before receiving treats (September 12, 2022).  As generations pass we now expect candy without the extra fun.

Generally, trick or treat sounds the same as it did centuries ago, but the only issue is the crime rate has risen and many kids will not take no for an answer. The meaning has changed tremendously today and made the whole culture seem very evil and misleading. It is often taught to scare kids these days and many people fear the holiday more than appreciate it.

 

References

(2019, October 03). How trick-or-treating became a Halloween tradition. Retrieved September 28, 2022, from https://www.history.com/news/halloween-trick-or-treating-origins

 

Ethnocentrism Retrieved (September 12, 2022), from https://faculty.chass.ncsu.edu/slatta/hi216/ethno.htm 

 

 


Devil's Advocate

By: Gina Wilson

 

The phase I chose to research is “Devil’s Advocate”. I chose this phrase because others have used it to describe me, although I have not heard it being used in quite some time. Before conducting any research, I thought that a devil’s advocate was someone who was going against what another person is saying. I always took it as an insult as I heard it being used in an unkind way, though it originally was not used in this manner. 

The phrase originates from the 18th-century medieval Latin expression ‘advocatus diaboli,’ and it was a job title, the official title being Promoter of the Faith. The role of a Devil’s Advocate was to come up with a list of arguments against the person who is nominated for beautification, to be locally recognized as a saint, or for canonization, which comes after beautification and is the supreme glorification by the Church of a servant of God. This list is to see if the person is right to be raised to the honor of the altar. The official position of Devil’s Advocate has since been abolished from the Church, though they still use a similar practice in some cases of beautification. 

 Today, a devil’s advocate is known for taking an opposing side in a debate, sometimes just to set up an argument. The act of being a devil’s advocate has not changed much since then. I think that people avoid arguments today because it can come off as disrespectful, but if you do not try to see the opposing side of your stance then you come off as egocentric.

 

 

Martin, Gary. “'The Devil's Advocate' - the Meaning and Origin of This Phrase.” Phrasefinder, https://phrases.org.uk/meanings/devils-advocate.htmlLinks to an external site..

Martin, Rachel. “Who Is the 'Devil's Advocate'?” NPR, NPR, 3 Mar. 2013, https://www.npr.org/2013/03/03/173350724/who-is-the-devils-advocateLinks to an external site..

Burtsell, R.L. “Devil's Advocate.” Catholic Answers, Catholic Answers, 21 Feb. 2019, https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/devils-advocateLinks to an external site..

Koshal. “Difference between Canonization and Beatification.” Compare the Difference Between Similar Terms, Differencebetween.com, 28 Apr. 2015, https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-canonization-and-vs-beatification/#:~:text=A%20person%20who%20goes%20through,differences%20between%20Canonization%20and%20Beatification

 

 

 

9 comments:

Marcquasia Abraham said...

Oh wow you learn something new everyday! I personally thought devils advocate meant a friend of the devil or like someone who seen themselves disguised as the devil. I never knew it originated from a Latin word or even was something America didn’t make up. Learning that the devils advocate was a totally different meaning was flabbergasting because it just means taking someone’s side in an argument not I knew it didn’t really involve the actual belief of the devil. Great blog!

Unknown said...

Khalil Foster
Trick or treating isn't a part of my culture so I never went trick or treating as a child. Like you said some people think its evil and complety avoid it, upon learning more about it I think it can be a inncoent holliday some people who give out poisoned candy and commit crimes in costumes and scary movies give the day a bad stigma.

Woodens pierrelouis said...

As a kid I never trick or treating because my parents always said that it’s celebrating the death

Anonymous said...

Sabthana R.

I can absolutely relate to growing up in a household and faith that Halloween was/is an evil holiday and I also was not allowed to celebrate growing up. It was like a sin in my household to ever attempt to celebrate it. Yes, I was able to receive candy but that was due to getting it from school from the Halloween "parties" they would throw. I was never able to experience trick or treating until one time in my teenage years but I feel as though it would have been a better experience as a child when I really wanted to celebrate it, and not then when it was done out of boredom.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I used to go trick or treating as a kid, and I enjoyed only because I didn't understand the real meaning behind it. If you don't know any better than you wouldn't think nothing bad about it but apparently it is the holiday of death.
- Jada Watkins

Anonymous said...

Honestly I loved trick or treating but in my family my grandma told it’s like worshipping the devil i just like getting the candy keith McConnell

Chloe Hauptmann said...

I was also Pentecostal up until I was about 8, but I was allowed to Trick or Treat, I don't know if my parents just hid it from the church or if my church was more lenient than other Pentecostal churches. My parents just loved Halloween too and so do I. The phrase does kind of sound like a threat, I agree with that. I don't like the message it sends with the not getting what you want means you trick them part. I wish we did it like Scotland, riddles sound really fun. Much more fun than just giving them candy and then closing the door like how we do it in the United States.

Anonymous said...

I as well have always been labeled a “devils advocate”. However, until now, I thought it was meant as someone who strongly sticks up for their point. Now noting what it means I’ll have to speak with some people, that aside, I still take no ill will towards the true meaning. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts, beliefs, and words. However, it’s important we also have a sense of filter for what and who we’re speaking on. - Kennedi W.

Amou Riing said...

The post offers insightful historical background by tracing the roots of "trick or treat" to medieval Europe and relating it to Christian traditions around All Saints Day or All Hallows Day. Gaining insight into the origins of Halloween customs enhances our understanding of the holiday's historical development. Also, it showcases regional variants of Halloween traditions, such as the Scottish custom of guiding, in which kids enchant adults with riddles in return for candy. This demonstrates how Halloween customs have changed throughout time in different places, enhancing the holiday's cultural diversity.