Saturday, September 25, 2021

Linguistic Profiling

Have you ever answered the phone or called someone you are unfamiliar with, such as making an appointment for services or gotten an unsolicited phone call, heard the voice on the other end of the line, and been filled with a strong emotional response?  I want you to seriously think on your answer to that question for a moment.  Was your response to hearing that stranger’s voice a positive or a negative one?  Chances are we have all experienced these types of calls and had different emotional responses-good or bad-based simply on the sound of the voice on the other end of the line.  I have had friends work in call center positions, and they have reported how customers would react based on how they (my friends) sounded when answering the call with a simple, “Hello, this is (Name) from (company).  How can I help you?”  Everyone had the exact same script they had to use, but the way their voice sounded directed how the call would go from there, with either a happy or irate customer.  This anecdote is meant to introduce you to today’s concept that will be discussed further: linguistic profiling.  This blog post will discuss what it is, its implication, and a potential solution to this very real problem.

 

Linguistic profiling is a concept coined by John Baugh.  It is defined as the “auditory equivalent of visual racial profiling” (Baugh, Linguistic Profiling 155) in which the way someone sounds causes them to lose access to goods or services.  Linguistic profiling is a judgement made based simply on the accent someone uses, referring to how one pronounces words when verbally communicating. 

 

There are two types of linguistic profiling: preferential and discriminatory.  Preferential linguistic profiling occurs when someone’s accent is viewed in a favorable manner and they are provided normal or greater access to goods and services.  Using the above example when my friends working at the call center were viewed as having a favorable accent they were treated much more kindly by customers.  Preferential linguistic profiling can also occur among individuals who feel that they share a common accent, which is often called inclusive profiling, thereby leading to people feeling a greater affinity with those who sound like them.  Discriminatory linguistic profiling is when someone’s accent is viewed unfavorably and they are denied access to goods and services.  With the above example when my friends working the call center were identified as speaking an unfavorable accent the customer would often be far more irritated, impatient, and rude.  Discriminatory linguist profiling is typically most often used against Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPoC), but it can also affect Whites who have an unfavorable accent.  It can also be used in a way to exclude individuals from identity groups because they do not sound like the expected norm (e.g. Black individuals with foreign or dominant English accents).

 

John Baugh became interested in linguistic profiling based on his own experiences growing up as a child in Los Angeles and later in his experiences as an African American linguistic scholar.  He found that when he sounded a certain way he was provided access to goods and services, particularly if and when his physical body was not seen.  From this he conducted a series of experiments wherein he spoke specific minority accents and asked about housing availability.  He would speak with an African American/Black accent, a Latinx dialect, and then a Standard American (White) dialect, and he would ask the same question, “Hello, I am calling about the apartment to rent.  Is it still available?”  He continually received negative responses (e.g. “No, it’s no longer available”) when he spoke in both the African American/Black accent and Latinx dialect but would receive positive responses (e.g. “Yes, it is still available”) when he spoke in the Standard American (White) dialect. 

 

The implications of linguistic profiling are very profound.  Discriminatory linguistic profiling is a subtle but very real form of racism.  Because racism is strongly correlated with what someone looks like and very rarely associated with the immaterial/nonmaterial aspects of identity it is difficult to prove.  It is, however, a very real phenomenon, cited in various court cases, complaints in illegal dismissals from jobs, and denial of housing applications.  It is also not just a problem in the United States but a global issue.

 

John Baugh points out that linguistic profiling can be overcome.  By giving everyone a chance regardless of how they sound and being accepting of various accents one can begin to reduce and remove linguistic profiling.  This is easier said than done, but by being aware of the problem and one’s biases (either for or against) specific accents one can begin the individual process of reducing and removing linguistic profiling bias.  If each person who reads this post were to do that then the problem would begin to diminish and eventually disappear.

 

Bibliography

Baugh, John. "Linguistic Profiling." Makoni, Sinfree, et al. Black Linguistics: Language, Society, and Politics in Africa and the Americas. New York: Routledge, 2003. 155-168. Print.

—. TEDx Talks: The Significance of Linguistic Profiling. Atlanta, 28 June 2019. Video.

Mena, Mike. John Baugh - "Linguistic Profiling" (2003). 25 April 2020. Video.

 

 

 


 

 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is very applicable to our society today. A lot of people of color tend to code switch to seem more professional because their accents can be "unprofessional". Also the first paragraph about answering the phone, we can tell someones moods by how they say their words, it doesn't matter what those words are. (Jayla Crawford)

Tijunay Roberts said...

I knew this was a thing but called it another thing. Mainly in my culture when we change our voice or how we pronounce words it is called using your white voice. It can be considered as racism as noted in the blog. Changing your voice to sound more like a white or black or any other voice can be wrong. I can say when I was working with a company where I answered phone calls I did have to use more of what I considered to be a white voice. Mainly because people could understand what I was saying more than when I used my own voice.

Alannah Wade said...

I relate to this post very much. I’m black and when I used to work at Panera (a food place with mostly white customers), I would use a very professional but also friendly voice and get a lot of tips. The white customers seemed as if they were so shocked that I spoke like that (nice and educated) and would express to me that I spoke so “proper” and “sweet”. They were complimenting me but the fact that they seemed so shocked that I was speaking how I was, was offensive.
- Alannah Wade

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I'm sorry you experienced this, Alannah, but hopefully through posts like this one and comments like yours people will learn to do and be better.

Anonymous said...

In the first paragraph about answering the phone, I sense someone's mood by the way they utter their words. This article is very relevant. Using your white voice can be considered as racism that was mentioned in the blog. It's not a good idea to change your voice to sound like a white, black, or any other race because people will think you're mocking them. (Leondre Francis)

Jasmine Hill said...

I have never known the name of this specific strategy until today. A lot of people do this including myself. When you’re trying to get a job and you sound more proper they think you’re a white person. But when you speak in a more broken language then people assume you’re black. I personally feel like that this is some form of racial profiling. This strategy does in fact works though.
-Jasmine Hill

Anonymous said...

As I read this blog, I learned that accents may have an impact on services. According to the site, if the consumer had a white accent, they would be friendly, but if they had a black accent, their mood and the way they speak alter. This disappoints me since even with accents, services modify the way they speak. -Hiba A.

Anonymous said...

Reading this was very interesting because I’ve always known this as “code switching”, I never knew it was called linguistic profiling. I’ve watched and listened to people “code switch” a lot like when they answer an important phone call and they change their tone of voice. This is thought to make them sound more professional and “attractive” to whoever they’re talking to. Also, I have personally had some kind of experience with discriminatory linguistic profiling. I’ve always been told that I talk “white” because of my enunciation of words, but it never made sense to me. A person cannot talk “white” because that gives off the assumption that anyone who is not white can enunciate their words or talk in a proper matter, which is completely wrong. Posts like this could possibly help people understand this and educate themselves.
- Kelsey Hill

Jada Watkins said...

After reading this, I realize that I find myself doing this exact same thing. I tend to change my voice when I'm taking a professional call or talking business with someone in person, mainly out of habit. As an African American, people expect you to speak a certain way because of the color of your skin and I don't believe that's fair, nor is it right.
- Jada Watkins

Anonymous said...

I have been told by many people that I have an accent, and I am recently coming to terms that I do. With that being said, I can definitely say that I have experience both types of linguistic profiling.
-Jayla Templeton

Anonymous said...

I really connect with this post. I have mimicked and learned "code switching" my whole life. I remember seeing my mom switch her voice to her "phone voice as a kid and assuming it was so she could be understood. Now i understand that linguistic profiling isn't understanding, its enabling and/or assuming one may hold bias's.
-Gavin G

Dana said...

Linguistic profiling is a term that can be used to describe a person's physical appearance based on the way they speak or deliver their words. Discriminatory linguistic profiling can cause serious problems because the sound of your voice and the pronunciation of words can result in you not being able to receive or do certain things. People of color have it harder because it is easy to distinguish someone’s voice based on certain interactions and encounters that a person has had. Stereotyping an individual based on their tone of voice and the way they speak is wrong. John Baugh expresses his feelings on linguistic profiling and believes that this is something that can be potentially resolved if everyone was to not be so judgemental. People shouldn’t have to change the way they speak or how they respond to certain things through their word choice. If everyone spoke the same it would be so strange and confusing so it is possible to explore other peoples language and word choice before being so biased. If people are unaware of how to speak properly and professionally, sadly that could result in them not being able to do things but I do believe everyone should know how to communicate in a way that is respectable.

Anonymous said...

Can a phone call make or break how your day goes? Linguist profiling is just that. Its a good day when you learn something .


Rlaone christopher

Unknown said...

A lot of people are involved in code-switching. They tend to sound different so that they may be considered. Accent has a great impact on today’s life. I have experienced this kind of linguistic profiling. I once heard my sister change her voice when talking via a phone which now makes me understand that she never wanted to sound biased and not to be stereotyped even though it can cause serious problems when it comes to certain words pronunciation.

Anonymous said...

I love accents and people that speak differently than me in what they say and how they say it, it helps in understanding other peoples cultures and backgrounds. This blog makes me want to test this as well, you never think of the auditory version of discrimination and still that is no way to treat a person you do not know.

Qwynn Marquez

Amou Riing said...

Linguistic profiling is defined in the post as the process of identifying someone by their speech pattern. It makes a distinction between discriminating profiling (which results in disadvantages for people with unpleasant accents) and preferred profiling, which benefits those with favorable accents. It also emphasizes how linguistic profiling contributes to structural inequality by showing how Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) are disproportionately affected by it. It stresses the need for greater understanding and activism against discriminatory profiling techniques, acknowledging that it may hurt people regardless of race.