Saturday, January 11, 2020

Who Says It Best? The Pop vs. Soda Debate

Generic Names for Soft Drinks Distribution Map (Source: Pop Vs. Soda.com)
As an anthropologist I have had the privilege and luck to travel to various places throughout the United States and world.  In these travels I have experienced a great variety of cultures and languages, and one of the most daunting experiences is learning how to speak in a new environment, particularly if and when you already speak the native language.  Language is one of the quickest ways to identify if someone is "not from around here" or an outsider, and I have learned very quickly to be a chameleon of sorts when it comes to language, adopting not only the local accents but the local nomenclature, as well.  This is what inspired today's blog post topic: the pop vs. soda (vs. coke) debate.  This is a hot topic among my students and even between me and my friends.  While this blog post will not settle the debate about which term should reign supreme (despite what the title may suggest) it will cover the reason why such diverse terms for the same types of beverages exist.

But before we get into that it is important to identify what exactly is being discussed.  The terms "pop", "soda", and "coke" are used throughout the United States (and Canada) to refer to carbonated beverages that are popularly consumed throughout both countries.  As noted in the above map there are regional preferences to these terms.  The term "pop" is used among much of the Midwest, Northern United States, and Canadian (not pictured but speaking from personal experience) populations.  The term "soda" is preferred by Northeaster and Western American populations, while "coke" (not to be confused with Coca Cola) refers to all carbonated beverages regardless of flavor or manufacturer (including the dreaded Pepsi).  These regional distinctions help locate individuals origins when speaking within mixed groups, as well as can lead to some confusion among them (particularly in the service industry when people ask for a "Coke" but really wanted a different carbonated beverage, e.g. a Sprite or Pepsi).

The regional terminology also demonstrates the unique histories of the regions of the US to where these terms originate (despite their wide geographical linguistic use).  The term "soda" actually started in the Northeaster United States where the first soda fountain was invented in Connecticut in 1863.  The term "coke" is associated with the Coca-Cola company and the American south because the company began in the region and had a regional stronghold for several generations before the introduction of rival companies.  The term "pop" has problematic origins, with some claiming it is used from the sound carbonated beverages make to others stating that the term comes from ginger pop, the original name of ginger carbonated beverages.

But if these terms originated in very specific areas of the United States why are they said throughout various parts of the country, particularly in high frequency?  That is actually due to migration patterns throughout history.  California and much of the Western United States was populated more recently than the remainder of the country, and based on the linguistic map presented above it appears that the majority of California migrants were from the Northeast, which could also account for the rivalry between the East and West Coast.  Note, these are personal observations, not based on researched evidence, so these claims may be incorrect.  They do, however, demonstrate how language can be used to trace human migration patterns.

So there you have it: the origins of "pop" vs. "soda" vs. "coke".  Again, this post is not meant to settle the debate as to which is best.  It does demonstrate how language can be regionally specific and how language can provide insights into someone's geographic origins, or at least where they spent a lot of time most recently since despite living in the Midwest I still say "pop" after almost a decade of enculturation in Canadian language and culture.  ;)



Bibliography

Gilbert-Lurie, Mikaela. Why Do Some People Say "Soda" and Others Say "Pop?" Let's Get To The Bottom Of This Age-Old Mystery. 3 July 2015. Electronic. 18 December 2019.
Sherman, Elisabeth. Where People Say 'Soda' vs. 'Pop' and Other Regionalisms. 20 July 2017. Electronic. 18 December 2019.
Smith, Ben T. Pop Vs. Soda (Dialect Blog). 23 December 2011. Electronic. 19 December 2019.
Unknown. Soda vs Pop vs. Coke: Who Says What, And Where? 6 December 2017. Electronic. 18 December 2019.

19 comments:

Haylee McCannon said...

This blog post helped me understand where these different terms came from. I am from the Midwest and use the term "soda." You stated that these terms are a sign of cultural migration. Another explanation for the different use of these terms could be due to generation. Although I live in the Midwest, the only people I've heard ask for a "pop" are my grandparents and others around their age.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

That is very interesting, Haylee. Did your grandparents grow up solely in the Midwest where soda is preferred, or did they live in an area of the US where pop is frequently said?

Unknown said...

Pop and Soda is definitely a debate that my family and I have often. I have lived in Central Missouri my entire life, and have always used the word "soda" when referring to carbonated beverages. When my great grandparents refer to them they always say "soda pop" and when I first heard them say that when I was old enough to understand I remember asking her, why do you say "soda pop" and not just "soda"? She told me that is always what her parents would say, and other people she grew up and was around growing up. It's really interesting to think about our words spread from different sides of the country because people move around. Overall I find it very interesting that where we live has an affect on the words we use for the exact same thing.

Anonymous said...

As I post my comment, I hope that nothing I say is taken offensively. I am posting from my own experience.

I grew up in Chicago, and we definitely used the term "pop." I have never heard anyone from my family and/or community use the word "soda." I did, however, have an experience with this word in Massachusetts. My mother attended Smith College in Northampton, MA. I was fortunate to tag along, as I was included in her scholarship package. I was much younger, and so my understanding of who said what and in what region was definitely distorted. I can recall walking into a restaurant one day and asking for a pop. The lady behind the counter reacted as if I had called her something offensive. I remember her rudely asking "a what? What is a pop?" My mother was on the other end of the counter looking at the menu. Overhearing the lady, my mother walked up and stated "Ma'am, we are from Chicago. We call it pop there." The lady seemed to get it, but the look on her face was unbelievable. Considering that there were not as many African Americans in this community, I felt as if I had done something wrong. I believe this was my first experience with learning about different cultures. To be honest, my mother went a bit further to say that she wonders if the lady was upset about the word, or who was using the word? I do not know and will probably never know. It is very ironic that you posted this blog. I personally feel that to deny the usage of any combination of the words is to deny a person's culture. A simple "where are you from" could have provided a better understanding as to why I used the word pop. Then again, what if she really did not know?

Joell Davis

Anonymous said...

I personally, call it Pop because Soda sounds country to me. But when people say soda I definitely know what they're talking about! One thing I didn't know was that people even distinguished Coke from pop and soda. I thought Coke was just Pop/soda but apparently it's different!

- Justin Mitchell

Kisura Gunter said...

I like this post because I never really noticed the difference of people saying “pop” & “soda” until I got to college. And my roommate had said “y’all call it pop down there?” I’m from Kansas and she’s from St. Louis. In my household we say either or. I personally say “pop” more often. Which isn’t surprising because you mentioned above it was a Midwest thing. -Kisura Gunter

Kaylin Smith said...

I never realized that people said anything other than soda until I came to college. Being able to hear other people's accents and being told that I have one myself has made me humble myself when it comes to conversations about language and culture. You learn something new every day!

Briana Jones said...

This is my first time reading about where the terms come from. I had automatically assumed that Coke derived from Coca-Cola, but I have never really thought of looking up how "pop" or "soda" came about. I am from Memphis, so I actually had to zoom in on the map to see what our results were. I had never heard anyone say "pop" or "soda" when referring to a carbonated beverage until I began school at Lincoln. My entire family calls them "drink", and that is what I always hear people in my part of town call them. I guess more people call it coke than I know. I usually only hear coke when they are referring to Coca-Cola, so this is shocking.
Briana Jones

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This post gave me a great humor. As a person from California people have always and only say soda. The first time I heard it different was from my dad's grandmother. When I asked her if she had any soda she responded: "yes there is pop in the frig". As a 13-year-old, I was confused. I later found out she was from Ohio, go figure she matched the stereotype. I wouldn't hear the word pop again until I went to Lincoln for school and came across a male friend (who happened to be a St. Louis native) that asked what flavor pop I wanted as we pulled up to the sonic drive-thru. As you can imagine laughter and explanations took place before we placed our order. I'd soon learn he would continue to teach me new words and phrases so unfamiliar to a Cali girl like myself.
I feel I learned more about the language and geography of students more than anything in college. And I'm glad i didn't just learn academics at Lincoln University, I learned culture!!

Briana Simpson

Danielle Rankins said...

I highly enjoyed reading this article. I actually chuckled at the title not only because I found it humorous but because I never expected to see this topic on the blog. As a person born and raised in Missouri, St. Louis to be exact, I never heard of this debate until my Dad, born and raised in Chicago, would say "pop" instead. Also when I came to Lincoln and met more Chicagoan's they also said pop. Personally however I pay no mind to the debates since I just think of it soda/pop as flavored carbonated water, but the debates are quite entertaining to watch.

Unknown said...

I read this article and I pretty much knew that there are many different areas and regions that may interchange "soda" or "pop". To be honest, I am a St.Louis native and I grew up in the city. All of the people I know and grew up around actually call it "sodie". Yes, instead of pronouncing it "soda" we say "sodie". This is why I was surprised to read Briana's post and she states that her friend is a St. Louis native and he uses the term "pop". I haven'y really heard anybody else from any other regions use this terminology. It's a STL thang!

Tytious Thomas

Unknown said...

It’s always funny how different places say different things that mean the exact same thing. From soda to pop. Two different accents that make words sound a bit different yes pop and soda is probably the best example you can think of but going deeper into it you can think of guaranteed more than four on the top of your head. This can also be thought about with certain sayings. For example back home we would say flogin. Well I’m sure you’re more aware of its counter partner line. It makes me remember how one of my mentors were say we don’t speak English we speak American it might sound ignorant but it’s true each area has its own little lingo. And it’s a lot of fun when different types of lingo are all together.

Damia

Anonymous said...

Me personally I call it soda and get irritated when people say pop. I know I probably shouldn't because that's a person form of language but it does. I never realized it until I got to college.

-Jada Johnson

Anonymous said...

I know this post stated that it was not meant to settle the debate, but I am. I don't like to bash people for saying "pop" but I don't like when they say negative things about me using "soda." Pop is a nickname and soda is the correct term. If it isn't then why is used on commercials and ads? We debate about this subject all the time in my family and in my classes. Soda is the way to go.

Mya Bursey

Unknown said...

I am from Kansas and we say pop or specify the drink we want. I enjoyed reading that there is really a debate between pop and soda, since language is so compromising and interchanging. The mix and shift of the origin of each word is a great example of the boiling pot culture.
- kennedy thompson

Unknown said...


I really liked this blog. It taught me that The terms "pop", "soda", and "coke" are used throughout the United States (and Canada) to refer to carbonated beverages that are popularly consumed throughout both countries.-Josh w

Jasmine Hill said...

As a East Saint Louis native located in Illinois which is in the Midwest I say soda. Typically because that’s what I am accustomed to .I love how everyone calls it pop or soda the debates are quite humorous. But for all my POP people on the can it says SODA. This was a great blog.
-Jasmine Hill

Anonymous said...

I have a debate about this question pop vs. soda with many people as I saw the word "pop" which I am from southern Kansas but find it funny when I hear other things. I assumed it had to do with migration and location but not who, this explores that.
Qwynn Marquez

Amou Riing said...

The post illustrates the many ways that carbonated beverages are referred to in different parts of the United States and Canada by the names "pop," "soda," and "coke." This demonstrates how geographical considerations may impact linguistic variances and depicts the diversity of regional language usage. The topic is intriguing because it brings up arguments amongst students and classmates over the best word for fizzy drinks. It stresses how important language is in daily communication and how culturally significant local linguistic choices are.