Saturday, March 3, 2018

Spotlight on Students: Metaphysical Magic

The following is a post written by a student, Betsy Britt.  This post highlights her work that she completed as part of her requirements in Ant 411: Culture Areas of the World.  Students have the opportunity to explore material through their own research.  Please show your appreciation for her work through the comments.

By: Betsy Britt





For our third week documentary, the class watched a film on strange beliefs. One of these beliefs was of the Azande tribe in Africa. The Azande believe in magic and witchcraft, and they use several different oracles to both tell the future and answer any important questions they might have. There is a witch doctor in the village whose job is to combat witchcraft with spells and various procedures. He also sees the evil intentions of others. They believe that the only source of witchcraft could be human beings and that it is a psychic act. During the documentary, however, I could not help but question the logic behind their separation of the mystic arts. What separates the witch doctor, whom uses what could be considered witchcraft, from the other villagers who might be using witchcraft psychically?

Before I was able to adequately answer this question, I needed to gain a better, if still broad, understanding of witchcraft. The general definition of the practice of witchcraft is “the use of preternatural power by one person to damage others” (Grinker). What can be inferred from that definition is that practicing witchcraft is evil. In fact, a focus on these practices is how to counter them, and the actual practices of it are generally overlooked when discussing them (Grinker). This helped me to gain my first answer.

A possible answer to my question is fear. Human beings tend to fear what they do not understand. Therefore, the Azande attributing bad luck, especially when death is involved, with witchcraft and evil would make sense. A person who can fight what is feared would be revered in any society. It is likely that a witch doctor would gain special privileges from the tribe in exchange for his protection.

Further research revealed that there might be more than one likely answer, though. A common hypothesis for why people are accused of practicing witchcraft is that it is a punishment of sorts. Being labelled as a witch marks one as untrustworthy, thus causing others to conform to societal norms as to avoid the same fate (Mace). This makes sense; it is generally agreed upon that practicing witchcraft has social consequences (Grinker). Witch labelling, however, has been proven to undermine trust in a society and negatively affect social cohesion (Mace). The interactions of the tribe’s people on the documentary has led me to conclude that social control is probably not the reason for the with doctor. He did not seem to be the main authority figure in the tribe.

A possible answer would also be that he is male. In contrast to women who are labelled as witches, men are seen as both practicing the act and as political figures and have authority over rituals (Grinker). The public positions of male witches are seen as making their witchcraft more tolerable than women’s, going so far as to celebrate the witchcraft of men (Grinker). While possibly the correct answer, I decided to throw it out, as I did not feel that I had enough information on gender differences in the Azande to back it up.

Another answer is that the witch doctor is trustworthy. Almost all work involving witchcraft in rural Africa states that the relationship between witch and victim correlates to the effectiveness of it (Grinker). Witchcraft might be considered safer in the hands of someone who is not seen as likely to use it with ill intentions. In that case, the witch doctor would have to be chosen carefully, as to avoid picking one who held a grudge already.

This question has several possible answers, and I feel that I would need a much more extensive understanding of the inner workings of the Azande people than I could get from a documentary or online. Again, the most likely answer is an advantage regarding gender, but I could not find enough evidence to support it. Fear is the most obvious answer, but I feel as if might be too obvious to be right.

Bibliography

Grinker, Roy R, et al. “African Witchcraft Idiom as a Discourse of History and Power.” Perspectives on Africa, 2nd ed., John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., 2010, p. 271.
Mace, Ruth. “Why Are Women Accused of Witchcraft? Study in Rural China Gives Clue.” The Conversation, The Conversation US, Inc., 8 Jan. 2018.
   

 

28 comments:

Monya' Smith said...

Out of all the examples she used to understand why the Azande tribe uses witchcraft and witch doctors, I have to agree with the first reasoning, fear. Yes, it might be to obvious to be right but it is also the answer that makes the most since. I see why someone would want to establish fear in others, but I would have to more information on why a witch doctor would be trustworthy. I’m not saying they can’t be but in the definition she used for witchcraft was a power to damage others. So the witch doctor has the same power to damage others if he chooses too.
—Monya’ Smith

Unknown said...

I agree with her, fear could be the answer why the Anzade use witchcraft, they blame witchcraft when bad things happens because they don’t have an answer to explain the situation. They fear of the unknown. Great paper !!

-Aide Gonzalez

Unknown said...

The Azande use witchcraft I think because, they want to use witchcraft to justify what people have done or what has happened to people. I agree that people need to fully understand the Azande people and how they use witchcraft and even live Day to Day life. Witchcraft like you said, would be used only by one of the tribe members that are trusted for safety precautions. Some people in the world would probably disregard the Azande because they are different and use magic but that is just how they have lived for centuries. I love how your paper is written and how put together it is! :-)

Unknown said...

I feel like they use witchcraft or say it’s witchcraft when they don’t have an logical answer or reason for something to happen but that can just be me . But I also do feel like that it’s fear and that’s why Azande use witchcraft also when you said that the witch doctor was trustworthy and that they wouldn’t use that power of witchcraft without good intentions, say if they didn’t like someone that nobody knew that they really didn’t like and they did witchcraft on them to put a spell on them . I’m saying that to say that I feel like they shouldn’t pick a person to say that it’s okay to do witchcraft just because “the people”say you are the one .
— T’Liyah Townsend

Anonymous said...

I defiantly think fear is a factor. i agree that people fear what they don't know or understand. being in fear would make a person go to faith or witchcraft just to live comfortably.
Micah Seals

Unknown said...

I think that the way Azande used is to justify what happened to people. Azande also use witchcraft also when you said that the witchcraft cant be trusted . I agree with this blog because people shouldn't be picked about what they have done or what has happened to people. Others might disagree with Azande because people have different opinions. I think that they should not be trusted at all because why put all your trust in someone.
- Jazmine Haines

Anonymous said...

I feel that the Azanda people used witchcraft because they felt that is all they had left to turn to being scared leads to drastic measures. But i do not think they should have turned to witchcraft do to others as you want to be done to you -Mykia Chaney

Anonymous said...

I think that Azenda used witchcraft to determine how people are and what they did in their life which is wrong. As said in the article about the use of witchcraft or magic for good intentions, not everyone is trustworthy and has the same mindset tat you may have. I personally would not put my faith in one person. Great article!
- Anthony Townsend

Anonymous said...

Great Job Betsy! I really enjoyed reading your paper and it was really nice seeing the work of one of my classmates. Thank you for sharing.
Nicole Clements

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anthony Townsend a lot of time witchcraft gets a bad wrap because its stereotyped but the Azande use it for more than one thing. - Tiffany Creer

Apre'shana Page said...

Your curiosity is very good. I thought the same thing when we watched the film. I don't think that their is anything that separates this witch craft doctor from any of the other people in the tribe. People may only find comfort because they think he has some type of power when it comes to it but just like you stated they are fearful because they don't know. Maybe this doctor simply just has more knowledge than anyone else in the tribe. If they took the time out to dig deeper into witchcraft they may eventually be able to answer questions themselves instead of turning to this man who is no better than anyone else in the tribe.

-Apre'shana Page

jerkisha Ford said...

I could not agree more with you because our society uses superstition as a way of fear as the Azande people use witchcraft. Superstition is used as a way to keep us from doing certain acts and I feel that is what witchcraft is. If you do a certain act you are punished through witchcraft. I really enjoyed the article because it not only gives you a perspective through other cultures but also through your own and how the two compare.

Anonymous said...

I feel that the Azanda used it because of fear. Witchcraft is bad luck and when bad things happen that they can’t understand or figure out why they blame witchcraft . Witch doctors are some how trustworthy and can tend to see evil in others even though it has the same powers as witchcraft . But somehow witchcraft is untrustworthy but they both have the power to damage Ta’Ricka Foots

Julian said...

I completely agree with you because our society has always used superstition as a way to promote fear just like the the Azande people use witchcraft. Superstition is used as a way to keep us from doing certain acts. A good example of this is when the bible was used back in the day to control the slaves to follow their masters orders. I feel that this is what witchcraft is. If you do a certain act you are punished through witchcraft. I really enjoyed the article because it not only gives you a
different viewpoint on the topic of which craft and through other cultures but it also allows you to to come up with your own opinion on the topic.

unique neal said...

I understand where shes coming from about being scared and having fear about witch craft but I think its really just a form of magic , like in my family I'm part of a native American side , and my grandma alma she knows how to do voodoo , she has talked about it plenty of times to my mom and my moms brother and sisters but I asked would she ever teach it to us and she said no but I think its not really anything to fear unless someone is trying to harm you with voodoo or something else .

Logan Shea said...

I think fear and searching for answers is a big reason. For the same reason that today we use Religion or other methods to give us faith or hope, or just to justify what happens. I think what the Azande do with Witchcraft is very comparable to religion.
-Logan Shea

Anonymous said...

This reading is really good! I agree with her reasoning. Fear played a big role in their everyday life. Azande people practically lived in fear. Everything they did had to be justified. The spirit of fear will l overtake your life. Azande people were not living their best life because they were too afraid of their own superstitions. Great reading overall, i really enjoyed reading this!
-Braxten Goodwin

Justin Adams said...

I think that this article makes up a lot of good points. I do believe that fear has a huge roll as to why the Azande tribe put so much faith into this belief. It's almost like any religion: you follow the processes and practices that you've been taught, because of certain consequences you will reap. On the other hand I think that one of the reasons the Azande people still practice witch craft is because that is all they know, and they have really been introduced or experienced to many other religions.

Anonymous said...

Akwila Cooks
It is crazy to think about how cultures believe in magic and thinks such like witch craft. It is more interesting than crazy because the things they believe. I think fear plays a big role in believing in certain things and for them magic/witchcraft.

Anonymous said...

This really sparked my interested but your work brings up a good point. The Azandes probably did come up with withcraft as a replacement to understand something they don't know. We as a society are guilty of the same actions labeling something as "evil" to replace what we don't know or understand. -Kiera McNulty

Dominique Thurman said...

when people are scared they tend to blame it on "witch craft"and the "devil." Many people believe magic and other things heal and take away the evil spirits. its not a bad thing for them because it eased their mind. We all have different healing process and coping mechanisms.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love learning about different African Tribes. They are all so different from each other and it is absolutely beautiful to me. I have never heard of “witchcraft” being the belief of an African Tribe so I was super excited to read this article. I find it interesting they discuss a witch doctor. I have children who love the “Madagascar” movies. One is when they escape to Africa. In that one the giraffe takes on the roll of a witch doctor, so I wonder if that is the culture they are referencing. I will be doing further research on this particular tribe because i find it fascinating. Thank you for this blog and all of the information!

Kahla Perry

Tonii Saffore said...

I was starting to think that I was the one who have never heard of witchcraft being a belief. when I think of witchcraft I usually associated that with demonic spirituality but this post has changed my mind. I think that its a good practice as long as, like stated in the post, that they keep a good doctor who has good intentions for the community.
- Tonii Saffore

Unknown said...

I first learned about witchcraft my sophomore year of high school, I used to think it had to deal with demons so I never cared to look further into it. after reading this blog and understanding that it doesn't deal that I think its a cool thing as long as its safe.

- Tae'lor Pearson

Taylor Morris said...

I like how in the blog fear is mentioned as a factor. Witchcraft has so many layers to it so I understand why it's such been such a mysterious and talked about topic for many years.

Anonymous said...

I feel as though fear plays apart in it. Not knowing something or understanding something can definitely cause fear. Also, i found this post interesting because i find magic interesting, as well as witchcraft as long as its not being used wrong.
-Kyla Thomas

Anonymous said...

I don't really look into witchcraft. I've always been told that it was a bad thing. I can honestly see if Anzade turned to this because she had fear inside of her.Also she could have used it for different things as well.
-Jasmine Busby

Unknown said...

My name Aleisha watts, I was taught to not play around with anything dealing with witchcraft and that brought the mind-state of fear to me because I didn’t know enough about it but it plays with people's life and the thought of that was enough for me to stay away. I agree that it's fear, something can be so simple, but because it sounds too easy to be true that people overthink it. It so much to understand about it but when the thing keeping you from it is the thing that will help you understand it. When I think of witchcraft I relate it to the calling of spirits and in the faith of my life ill rather not play with the dead or my sprite.