Saturday, October 21, 2017

Howling Down the Moon: A Look at Werewolf Syndrome and Its Effects on Werewolf Lore



 
Figure 1: Hypertrichosis on a young boy (Image Source: Prime Health Channel)
 
Werewolves have made a small and short lived comeback in popular culture (partially overshadowed by vampires, zombies, and mummies), but werewolf mythos has existed cross-culturally for centuries.  The earliest mention of werewolves can be found in the Epic of Gilgamesh, an important ancient Mesopotamian text, and most recently with the upsurge in popularity of the Twilight books and movies and television show spin off, Teen Wolf.  But for some people werewolves are not fantasy but reality as they either know or are one of the less than 100 people in the world (and throughout history) who have “werewolf syndrome”.  Today’s blog post will explore what werewolf syndrome is, how individuals come by having it, and how it may account for some of the (historic and present) werewolf mythos.

Werewolf syndrome is the common name for what is medically referred to as hypertrichosis (Figure 1).  It is also sometimes referred to as “Ambras Syndrome”.  The origin of this name comes from the collection of paintings of the Gonzales family.  Several members of the Gonzales family had hypertrichosis, and because they were favored by the French royal family their portraits were commissioned and hung in the Ambras Castle, hence the name.  While the history of the popular terminology for hypertrichosis is interesting these terms will not be used and the formal term, hypertrichosis, will be used throughout the remainder of this blog post.

Hypertrichosis is a genetic syndrome that causes excess hair growth throughout the entire body.  It is not clear what specifically causes this genetic syndrome, although many medical professionals believe that it is a mutation on the 8th chromosome that leads to the syndrome.  There does seem to be some inheritance of the trait based on it being passed on to several generations of the Gonzales family and other families throughout history, but there are also isolated incidences of congenital hypertrichosis that have been reported.  Therefore its exact cause remains unknown, but the symptoms are not.

There are two types of congenital hypertrichosis: congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa and congenital hypertrichosis terminalis.  Congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa is a condition where an individual is born with excessive long, fine hair over one’s face and head, whereas congenital hypertrichosis terminalis, which is associated with werewolves, is the growth of excessive hair all over the body.  In either case individuals who are able and inclined manage their conditions through shaving, bleaching, waxing, or chemically or electrically removing the excess hair.  These treatments can be very costly and time consuming, and some people may not have the means or desire to undergo them.

Hypertrichosis is associated with being one of the causes of werewolf syndrome, but as less than 100 cases have been reported throughout history (from the Middle Ages to today) it may not be the sole culprit for such mythos.  Native Americans tell tales of humans being able to turn into a variety of creatures, including coyotes, and these stories have a long history, dating back to the earliest times.  As previously mentioned the Epic of Gilgamesh, which dates back to Mesopotamian cultures (~2000 B.C.), describes a werewolf as one of the characters was able to take on wolf form by donning a cloak.  Medieval lore claims that individuals could become werewolves by making pacts with witches or the devil, sleeping outside under a full moon, or by rubbing certain salves and herbs onto one’s body.  While it historical reports of hypertrichosis date back to the Middle Ages it does not mean that there were not cases before then, so hypertrichosis could be part of the origin of these myths, especially as it continues to support the myths proliferation today.

While the exact origins of the werewolf mythos are unclear it is certain that individual can and are afflicted by a congenital condition, hypertrichosis, which make them resemble a werewolf.  Medical professionals are still unsure the cause of this condition, though.  With answers come more questions when it comes to werewolves, which may be why this is yet another myth that resurfaces every few years. 

References

Curtin, S.  2011.  “The Pre-Modern Werewolf.”  Chronicles of an Anthropology Nerd.  http://anthrobum.blogspot.com/2011/02/pre-modern-werewolf.html

Gudi, Sai & Tiwari, Komal & K, Sumathi. (2017). WEREWOLF SYNDROME –An Orphan Genetic Disorder. International Journal of Pharma Research and Health Sciences. 5. 1623-1626. 10.21276/ijprhs.2017.02.03.

Lewis, R.  2012.  “The Curious Genetics of Werewolves.”  DNA Science Blog.  PLOS.  http://blogs.plos.org/dnascience/2012/12/27/the-curious-genetics-of-werewolves/

Ngan, V. and Oakley, A.  2016.  “Hypertrichosis.”  Derm Net, New Zealand.  https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/hypertrichosis/

No Author.  No Date.  “Legend of the Werewolves.” History’s Mysteries. History Channel, A&E Television Networks.

Oldridge, Darren.  2005.  Strange Histories. London and New York: Routledge.

South, Malcolm, et al. 1987.  Mythological and Fabulous Creatures: A Source Book and
Research Guide. New York: Greenwood Press.


39 comments:

Jeremy Morin said...

I did not know that the lore for "werewolves" went as far back as Mesopotamia. I also did not know that there were two different types of this disease. It is also interesting that there have been only 100 cases throughout history.

-Jeremy Morin

Kennedy Coats said...

This was a very interesting article learning about this disease and why it effects certain people. This is a disease that I believe should be discussed more in the school system and I feel that it would engage a lot of students.Before reading this I don't think I would know the real name for this disease which is "hypertrichosis" or the genetics of it.

Taylor Morris said...

I find this article to be very interesting because I have never heard of this disease before. I didn't even know it was a disease called Werewolf syndrome. I have seen many people who grow more hair on their bodies than other but I have never seen anyone with this until now.

Unknown said...

I didnt know that Hypertrichosis is associated with being one of the causes of werewolf syndrome. Thats why they have so much hair.

Mario Lucas said...

Hypertrichosis is very intriguing and I believe that one of my family members has this syndrome. He has hair everywhere and has been that way every since I can remember. I never knew that this was even a disease.

Anonymous said...

I think that this syndrome is very interesting, I've always thought this. But I wonder how do they deal with the back lash, the teasing, and the stares? I know I would be very irritated.

-Armoni Mosby-Sheard

Charnai Anderson said...

I like the fact that the Epic of Gilgamesh was mentioned at the beginning of this blog, because I find it interesting how ancient text meant for story telling , entertainment, etc. can be very important in providing historical references and information.

Anonymous said...

I've never herd of this syndrome before, i think its pretty cool. i didn't think werewolf was real to be honest. I feel like thats unique that very few people get the disease.

Kenneth Granger

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Just to be clear, werewolves do not exist. People with the "werewolf syndrome" do not change into wolves. They're hairy all the time and may be why the myth came about. :)

Unknown said...

I've always been fascinated with the concept of werewolves. Movies such as "werewolves in Paris" always playedinto my imagination of it actually being truth but its even cooler finding out that its somewhat partially true. Atlthough people with the condition don't neccessaily have the intangibles as the werewolves in movies, I think its stills pretty amazing.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Watch American Werewolf in London, the original.

Unknown said...

If this is able to just happen to people does this mean everyone has a little bit of this syndrome in their body and it just hasn't been triggered yet?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Most likely not because if you were going to have it would have happened already. :)

Unknown said...

Akwila Cooks
This article is very interesting. I love Teen Wolf and I love Twilight. Watching shows about werewolves and vampires always i sparked a interest. I never heard of the term Hypertrichosis before but it makes sense. Thinking that humans can turn into different thing such as werewolves is interesting to me.

Unknown said...

PhinasiaButler

i have never know anyone in the world to have werewolf syndrome. its sad to see people go throught hings that they can not control. but i this is a tragic sydrome that anyone can go through. but on the other had some people love facial hair as well as a nice groomed beared:)

Unknown said...

I also found it interesting that love of werewolves is as old as it is. I had heard that there were two different types though. I always believed it was a made believe thing before reading this.

Unknown said...

I think werewolves are one of the more interesting folk tales, as to how they become a topic of interests. I can see why mummies, and even vampires are thought to be true, but the werewolves have me baffled. I wonder which one came to fame first, the syndrome or the "actual" werewolf?

Unknown said...

I never knew there was a such thing of a werewolf syndrome, I always thought it was just played in movies like Twilight, Teen Wolf, etc. I just feel bad because its not under there control on how the hair grows.

Lindsey Wilkerson said...

Lindsey Wilkerson
This was pretty interesting because I've never heard about someone having werewolf syndrome or that there was a Hypertrichosis genetic syndrome that caused hair growth like this. It is always interesting to know that this belief of werewolf started back in the middle ages because i am a fan of the TV show "Teen Wolf"

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that werewolf were real nor where it came from. They always kind of creep me out so, those and vampires had the same amount of horror in my eyes. But to know that it is possible to have a werewolf syndrome is really unbelievable, that's definitely something I never heard of or even seen in person.


-Kaleshia Gibson

Anonymous said...

never knew such disease exist at all. i kinda think it is weird and creepy. is this really true? i would like to see someone who has these syndrome in person.
Micah Seals

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Yes, this is a real syndrome that affects a small number of individuals. Due to the negative outlooks on this syndrome many affected people will either hide or alter their appearances to avoid conflict.

Anonymous said...

I don't blame them, especially how now a days our society is every judgmental.
Micah Seals

Anonymous said...

I always loved werewolves and I always been obsessed with them . But I didn't know that people actually had werewolf syndrome . But I find this really cool that some people have this ! But why is it that they are unsure of the cause of this condition .
-T'Liyah Townsend

Anonymous said...

Werewolves has always been something that peeked my interest the most and is very fun to learn about. This is a topic that should not be ignored and should be discussed throughout school to inform them about what diseases are out there.
Anthony Townsend

Anonymous said...

I can understand why they would hide or alter there appearances especially in this society. Anything different seems to be seen as negative or a threat. Wish I knew more about different syndromes similar to this. _Tiffany Creer

Apre'shana Page said...

I've heard of this syndrome before. I personally don't feel like anyone with this condition should undergo any changes since it is a very rare disease. It makes them unique just like any other syndrome that is only more common for others to be diagnosed with. If people with this syndrome avoided shaving, waxing, or bleaching to hide their condition from people then this condition wouldn't go as unnoticed as it already is then maybe someday someone could find the primary cause and possible cure for it. I don't think anyone should try to cover up what makes them unique, they should embrace it.

-Apre'shana Page

jerkisha Ford said...

I am a total twilight and teen wolf fan so to find out that werewolves are portrayed from a syndrome kind of makes me disappointed in society. I have never heard of this syndrome but I am glad i took the time to read the article because there is something new to learn everyday.

Anonymous said...

This photo caught my attention right off the bat, just because of how bizarre it looked at first glance. I feel bad for the few individuals that have to fight through this disease. All of the options for ways to deal with they syndrome seem like after a while would become painful.
-Logan Shea

Justin Adams said...

It was interesting reading about this article and disease. I have heard a little bit about this topic, but never this much in depth. It was cool to find out that cases about this disease date all the way back to Mesopotamia. I actually thought there would be more cases recorded, but there is actually only like 100 cases that have been reported. I think it's cool to figure out where things like werewolves and stuff originate from.

Unknown said...

I had no idea that this was a disease. It is very sad that people with this syndrome will avoid contact with people and withdrawal themselves from the community. The fact that people are not accepting of the difference in people upset me. Another unsettling factor is that media has turned this disease into a fictitious fad.

Kahla Perry

Tonii Saffore said...

My name is Tonii Saffore. I have seen this condition on a tv show before. I forget the name but it was a show where they showcase people with uncommon conditions. when I first seen this I felt bad for the girl with this condition because she talked about how people would stare at her and point. later in life she talked about how she would continue to shave her skin and her face like every week and sometimes it'd come back fuller. she also talked about how she got tired of shaving and later learned to embrace it and even talk about her condition. This makes me think of myself and how I would cope with conditions like these, I know that it probably wouldn't be a accepting as these people.

Unknown said...

This is an Awesome blog post. I actually went to school with a boy that had this disease. I didn't believe this was a real thing I was just used to seeing this in movies. I wonder if people with this disease shaved or got a wax how long would it typically grow back. would it be thicker and hard to maintain.


- Tae'lor Pearson

Malacia Lowe said...

I love werewolf movies and books. I didn't know Werewolf Lore was an actual thing. I believed that it was all fiction. Is there any sources were I can read into the disease further?

- Malacia Lowe

Unknown said...

Hi my name is Avery Davis,and I think this blog is so interesting. I remember when I was younger that the news had somebody with this syndrome. This is so cool in a way because this is the type of stuff I imagine in my head.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

You can learn more by consulting the references I cited, which can provide you more in depth information and additional resources to check out. :)

Betsy Britt ANT 495-01 said...

It does need to be considered why this disease exists. I believe that most genetic diseases, in some way, are mutations that evolution created in order for the human species to better survive, but they either fail or unnecessary. This one is probably in the later category. However, the point of this mutation might have been to help humans survive in colder weather.

Anonymous said...

This is a first hearing about this disease. I've never met or seen anyone who's had this disease.. let alone have i ever heard it being talked about. I wonder if they decided to shave or wax. how long would it take to come back? would i grow back thicker?
-Kyla Thomas

Anonymous said...

I've heard of this syndrome but, was not aware that hypertrichosis is associated with being a cause. I hope one day they find the cause of this condition.

Elaine christopher