Saturday, October 3, 2015

American Horror Stories: An Analysis of Popular American Urban Legends & What They Say About American Culture

Every culture has its own mythos and legends that members of the culture are most familiar with.  These mythos and legends are typically moral tales that guide members of the culture into good versus bad behaviors, but these mythos and legends are excellent sources of information about the culture for outsiders.  Today's blog post focuses on American urban legends and what they can tell us about American cultural norms, values, and beliefs, and because of the upcoming holiday urban legends centering around Halloween will be the primary topic of discussion.  Three urban legends will be discussed herein, and they are the legend of the poisoned Halloween candy, Bloody Mary and the rituals to summon her, and Ouija Boards.   
Image Source: Google Image Search

The Poisoned Halloween Candy

According to this urban legend children should be wary of who they receive Halloween candy from while trick-or-treating because they run the risk of acquiring poisoned treats from otherwise seemingly well-meaning citizens.  This urban legend has existed for decades.  It has led children to avoid houses of those they are unfamiliar with, as well as the carefully check their candy collections prior to consumption.   

While many may be quick to pass this urban legend off as just a cautionary tale to encourage children not to indulge in sugary treats it is unfortunately one with some truth to it.  On October 31, 1974 in Deer Park, Texas, a man named Ronald Clark O’Bryan claimed that his son, Timothy, had consumed a pixie stick that was contaminated with cyanide that he received from a neighbor while trick-or-treating that ultimately led to his death.  It was late discovered that it was Ronald Clark O’Bryan who poisoned his son with the contaminated pixie stick in order to collect insurance money.  O'Bryan had intended to poison his other child, Elizabeth O'Bryan, and several neighborhood children as a means to both collect additional insurance money on his children and to cover up his crime, but it was simple dumb luck that prevented the remaining children from meeting the same fate as Timothy O'Bryan.  Ronald O'Bryan was convicted and sentenced to death.  There have been no further incidents of poisoned candy reported since.

Despite this being an isolated incident the continued retelling of this urban legend suggests that this is an annual occurrence and that children and parents everywhere should be cautious.  So why does this urban legend continue?  Because of the moral lessons it reinforces in children.  One of the biggest lessons every American child learns early in life is the one about "stranger danger" or to be cautious of strange adults who approach them as they are most likely dangerous to the child.  This urban legend reinforces that lesson by informing children that even on the most fun nights danger still lurks and exists and is after them.  This urban legends also demonstrates Americans' distrust of others, particularly the unknown individuals, which is a pervasive value in American urban culture and somewhat in rural culture.

Mary Worth, aka Bloody Mary (Image Source: Skyberry-13)
Blood Mary

Bloody Mary is a game that many children and teenagers opt to play throughout the year but particularly during the Halloween season.  This game involves an individual (typically a young girl) standing in front a mirror in a completely dark room.  The individual then says the name "Bloody Mary" or some variant chant involving the name three times.  This is supposed to conjure the presence of "Bloody Mary", a woman with nefarious motivations who will eventually cause harm against the individual who called her forth.

The origins of this urban legend are unknown, probably because of the number of versions that exist of this tale.  Some versions describe "Bloody Mary" as a woman known as Mary Worth who is described as a witch who was punished and therefore curses those who call her name, while other incarnations identify "Bloody Mary" as an innocent woman who was the victim of a horrific car accident.  This latter version is not as popular and very rarely recited, and it is the witch urban legend that is most popular.

But why is it that in America, a land that largely identifies as a "Christian nation", a tale of a witch is so popular?  Because of the values that this urban legend puts forward to those who listen and heed its warning.  This legend tells young individuals, particularly young girls, that witchcraft is both dangerous and unwelcome and that practitioners of the "dark arts" are punished.  We see this both in the punishment of the individuals who recite "Bloody Mary"'s name and in "Bloody Mary" herself, who is described as a punished witch.  The purpose of this urban legend is to frighten young individual into fearing witchcraft and to avoid it at all costs.
Ouija Board (Parker Brothers Games)
The Ouija Board

Another popular Halloween tradition is the breaking out of the Ouija board.  This board is believed to be a conduit to the spiritual world, which is easiest to contact on Halloween, and people use the Ouija board to communicate with the dead.  Several urban legends surround the use of the Ouija board, and many maintain that the use of the Ouija board causes hauntings by vengeful spirits.

The use of the Ouija board begins at the end of the 19th century when the Kennard Novelty Company first began manufacturing and selling the now infamous "talking board".  The name Ouija actually is a made up word that combines the French word "Oui" (yes) and the German word "ja" (yes), but it was believed to be mysterious and catchy enough for the American public, which was in the throws of the Spiritualist Movement.  The Spiritualist Movement centered on the notion of communicating with the deceased, and it saw an increase in the number of seances, mediums, etc. who were available and employed by American citizens.  The Kennard Novelty Company capitalized on this fervor in their creation of the Ouija board, which was merely meant to be an entertaining game to satisfy the public's desire to "speak with the dead".

As the years went on and American public views changed to shunning death and the dead the Ouija board took on a new image, which was popularized throughout the 1970s and the rise of the horror movie.  The Ouija board was the source of several scary plots of horror movies from the period and even today.  These are in part responsible for the change in perception of the Ouija board from simple family friendly game to horrific tool to summon unwelcoming spirits.

So why the change in attitude?  Well, as previously identified, the change in attitude toward the Ouija board relates specifically to the cultural change in the views of death and the deceased.  As Americans lost interest in Spiritualism and viewed death as a scary, unwelcoming event so did their appetite for the entities and items associated with it.  All things previously popularized by the Spiritualist Movement eventually became scary and unwelcoming, which mirrors the American public view that death is unacceptable. 

*              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *              *

As demonstrated by these examples mythos and legends provide a great deal of insights into culture, and these examples of American urban legends are no exception.  We can trace changes in American culture through the history of the Ouija board.  We can also gain a better understanding and insight into present cultural values through the poisoned Halloween candy and Bloody Mary urban legends.  So next time you hear about an American urban legend (or any mythos or legend from another culture) think about what norms, values, and beliefs are imbued in it, and see if you can identify specific cultural elements conveyed in them.


Bibliography



Museum of Talking Boards

Newspaper Headline 1    
Newspaper Headline 2
The History of Blood Mary 
The Hoax Project
The Legend of Bloody Mary 
The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
 
     


35 comments:

Unknown said...

Another Urban legend is stalking and killing a babysitter. There are now probably more horror movies that portray this, than actual cases where a babysitter was murdered or assaulted on the job.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

There is actually (and unfortunately) a grain of truth to that urban legend. There have been a few cases, dating back to the 1950s I want to say (if not then then definitely the 1960s) where this happened, hence why that rumor continues. There are several more cases of it, as well, which is why I chose not to address herein. The truths in this matter either continue to drive the proliferation of this urban legend and/or inspire the crimes that keep it current, which is another reason why I chose to exclude it herein. :(

Unknown said...

i know that there are some suspected cases, but in my research few have been solved, but i won't deny i could be wrong, there are a lot of copy cat creeps out there.

Anonymous said...

sadly the comment I just wrote was not posted :( so here it goes again.
I remember being a young girl and having my mother check my Halloween candy. She would grab it the minute we had decided to go home to ensure that I did not sneak any candy until she could inspect them. My mother would spread out all the candy on the table and inspect each piece thoroughly before I was allowed to consume them. when my mother explained her reasoning I was terrified. As I grew older the fear became silly and no cases have been reported recently. But now that I have a child of my own I have to admit that I too check my daughters candy each year. I agree that it is the fear that keeps people checking. Even the local news does a broadcast each year on what to look for when checking the candy so they are also helping keep this urban legend alive and thriving. I think that people would rather be safe than sorry when the world keeps spinning into something that is more and more dangerous everyday. I will keep checking my daughters Halloween candy :)
Thank you for the interesting blog !

Unknown said...

I am unsure of the correlation between the poisoned candy urban legend and razor blades hidden in candy. But, I too remember my mother checking the candy feverishly for any signs of tampering, even going as far as to take it to the hospital for a complimentary x-ray. I also am old enough to remember the tampering of other non-urban legend products, such as tylenol.

Bloody Mary, being from Massachusetts, I have heard the tales of Mary Worth and read much about the Salem Witch Trials, and played the game. For me, it falls to certain religious sects using frightening tales to control the masses. We see this scenario played out in through history. Best example, in the 1950's with Communist's. Just like in the Salem Trials, people were rewarded for turning in suspects "users of the dark arts" or "Communist sympathizers". Stephen King even wrote about it in his book Hearts In Atlantis, the tale of a man who had psychic powers, sought after by the government to use his gift to find communists. Similarly in current events the tactic is still employed.

The Ouija board, I have to say, still strikes fear. Movies and religion as well as the thought of being grifted by a con comes to mind. The last pop culture Ouija Board was seen in Ghost, a blockbuster supernatural romance, keeping it relevant with clever product placement. More recently, there's been Ouija, directed by Stiles White again bringing relevance to the dying board game generation. Kids are hardwired with technology and game systems today. Companies like Parker Brother's have probably seen a great down turn in sales, making a scary movie about one of their games and reviving it, keeps it circulating in popular culture. BLC

Katy said...

The poisoned Halloween candy is a great example of how, as Americans, we have in stuck in our heads that people are not to be trusted. When I was a child, my school would show us videos about stranger danger and keeping yourself safe. They would tell us that it wasn't meant to scare us but it always stays in my head. The video of a man asking a little girl, at the mall, if the little girl would like to see his new puppy. "it's just outside in my car. Come see it!" As a teenager, hanging out at the mall, I would always see that movie in my head when creepy people would try to talk to myself and my friends.

Unknown said...

I don't think that the poisoned candy could be labeled as a urban legend because it seems like every year you are hearing about some idiot putting something in kids candy. Whether its razor blades, poison or even marijuana. Checking candy is something my mom did with me and I know do it with my kids.
Ouija board history blew me away. I didn't know it was really just a made up board game strictly for entertainment? I thought it was created by witches or from hell to summon spirits? Reading this kind of killed it for me.
Thanks for the post. Perfect for Halloween!

Anonymous said...

I remember playing Bloody Mary as a child. It always scared me and didn't help my fear of the dark. The show "Supernatural" did a take of Bloody Mary saying she was a murdered woman who's soul was trapped in a mirror. She'd only kill those guilty of killing others.

I've always loved the way Ouija boards looked. They just look antique and pretty. My mother was very superstitious and when I was given a board as a gift, she refused to let me bring it inside the house. It sat in the trunk of my car unopened. A few weeks later, I happened to be in a car accident and my mom freaked out, blaming everything on the Ouija board, claiming evil spirits were trying to kill me and she threw it out. I still love Ouija boards.

Anonymous said...

~Rhonni Lumpkin~

Casey Jean said...

I love this post. The urban legends of poisoned candy, ouji board, and bloody mary were ingrained in me as a child to the point where I will walk down a separate toy aisle if I see a ouji board while crossing myself, I can't even say bloody mary out loud more than once, and I make sure to check any candy received on halloween.

rhianne_kenned said...

I was always to scared to summon Bloody Mary, and must admit that I still am. Call me silly, but I believe in certain supernatural phenomena, and though Bloody Mary is particularly far-fetched, I wouldn't dare try.
The Ouija board, on the other hand, is quite a fun mystery. My father actually has one that he apparently used with friends in the 80's, and I've participated in using it. I was a lot younger when my siblings and I used the Ouija board, so it seems scarier to me than it probably was. You can never be quite sure if it's someone you're with who moves the dial, or the dead, which seems less likely. (:

Anonymous said...

The urban legend of the candy I had actually not heard prior to reading this blog but as a child my parents would always check my candy I didn't get the point of it but it stuck to me so as to say to this day when my little brother goes out to trick or treat and comes home I sit with him checking the candy for anything strange that might appear. The Ouija board is thought to be so bad that by the mentions of it people freak but as for me I heard it was a bad thing and you shouldn't play it or you would be cursed but I never really believed any of it I saw it as a game and nothing else I didn't know that it was a form in which they would use to talk to the dead.

Jesus Cardiel ANTH 205 said...

The poisoned candy is still very relevant today as I have heard my candy needs to be checked before i can eat it ever since I was old enough to go out and trick or treat. Although there is not a lot of cases of poisoned candy it is still very possible to happen and with all the technology and resources we have can be very easy to do. Bloody Mary was always a scary thing to me as all the stories and tales told about it scared me away from trying. I did it once nothing happened, but I never attempted it again hearing tales and either truth or lies from friends that have done it. The Ouija board is something I would never ever mess with seeing all the movies and experiences people have had it just is not for me. I believe in the after life and using the board to connect with either bad or good spirits is something i will not do.

Sabrina Albright said...

I have heard of another legend of bloody Mary where Mary was a little girl who had fallen ill and slipped into a coma, her father a doctor declared her dead after several weeks but her mother refused to believe it and had her daughter buried with a bell so if she were to wake up the bell on her grave would ring and they could dig her up however the one night her mother didn't go out to her grave Mary had woken up and in a panic pulled the bell off of its holder so no one could hear it, she had tried to dig her way out of her casket but ran out of oxygen, her mother came out the next morning to find the bell disrupted, they dug her up and found she had torn her nails completely off digging her way out.

American Horror stories are fascinating people become so fascinated by mysteries and cant help but read on or watch more of the show or movie. the rush people get from the dial on the Ouija board catches your attention and you aren't quite sure how to respond, i think the rush is the best part of the stories

Shelby Crawford said...

I find it interesting that children are taught about stranger awareness and yet one night a year our society allows children to go up to strangers houses and take candy from somebody they don't even know and trust that they will be ok but the other 364 days a year, children will not take candy or talk to a stranger.

I have read the tale of Bloody Mary usually through a chain email and I was that person who would forward the email just to play it safe because I was so scared of this demonic person coming after me

I have only played with the Ouija Board one time...... Never again!

Student:Shelby Crawford

Hailey Duvail said...

I completely get the Halloween candy. My parents actually made us check our candy when I went trick or treating for that same reason. I never knew the back story to it but now I am aware. I think that such a story does make society more aware and cautious of the dangers that do lurk on one of the best nights of the year. I remember as a child playing bloody Mary with my girl friends in the bathroom and scaring each other senseless. Nothing ever was to happen, but I have heard many people say they have actually saw something! During one of the summers of my middle school age I had went to a party. They had brought their Ouija board out and asked me to play. I had heard about that story many of times so I asked them to play it outside. I asked them to play outside because I had heard that by doing it inside a house it invited the dark spirits into your house and they stayed. Even though it was not my house I was still staying there and very cautious because I was much younger and gullible to such a story. I find this blog very interesting.

-Anthropology101

Unknown said...

As a child, Halloween was always so anticlimactic. As soon as we would get home from trick-or-treating my parents would rummage through my candy prior to me even being allowed one piece. I was always so disappointed, and never understood why they would do that. Not that it was a common theme, but the fact that there are confirmed cases of death by halloween candy make me grateful my parents did it!! It's interesting to read to backstory behind all these legends of horror. Growing up, I used to hear of some of my peers reciting the Bloody Mary chant, or using a Ouija board, and now I see where these originated.
-Matt Santos

Unknown said...

As a kid I was always told to be wary of strangers and now I wonder if other cultures are the same way. It feels as if a lot of Americans are isolated and untrustworthy of eachother and that maybe growing up parents shouldn't have harked how dangerous strangers can be. But as for the holloween candy it would make sense, I've always head about people putting razor blades within candy apples but I have never actually heard of that happening.
-Patrick Cattell

Anonymous said...

I don't know if anybody else has heard this but from my research there has been people, specifically young adults, who try to talk to the demon named zozo through the ouija board. I also have heard other talk that even with the Bloody Mary talk that some people will hear a bell after calling out her name. And didn't the Bloody Mary legend start in Salem Massachuettes? Since the famous witch trials was taken place there? - Julia Hartley

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Like many urban legends it is difficult to trace the origins because there are so many different versions, and they change with each generation, typically matching dominant social and cultural norms and values.

Kevin Izykowski said...

I've heard of Ouija, the movie title but this blog has told me what it is. It's frightening to imagine if Bloody Mary appeared after someone chanted her name three times.

I remember when I was in the fourth grade, I was not allowed to touch my halloween candy. This was after the Anthrax attacks as my candy could have been poisoned with that.

Charlie Gpggin said...

Myths and legends to frighten children into behaving and avoiding some perceived danger are probably as old as humanity. Little Red Riding hood and other faerie tales are a good example of elders trying to teach children about the dangers that exist outside their natal home. The Halloween post trick or treating ritual was well practiced in my family. We took FOREVER to sort all that candy so that my parents could feel safe letting us eat it. There is some value to these things as they do scare kids away from things that might harm them, but they are also telling of a culture. I have always enjoyed reading about this sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

There have been a few stories on contaminated candy during Halloween time. I think I saw on the news a few years ago that a child had found a candy bar with needles in it, however it was later determined that the child's parents staged the whole thing. I cannot believe that someone would attempt to not only kill their own children for money, but also the neighborhood children to cover their tracts. I can remember doing the Bloody Mary ritual as a child but never actually seeing anything. Standing in a pitch black room with a bunch of other scared kids wanting to see something appear seems so silly now. I have also tried to use an Ouija board with some friends just out of curiosity. I'm not sure if the handle thing really moved on its own or if it was all of us subconsciously moving it, but I know a couple of people who swear that they really were joined by another spirit. I'm a little weary on using an Ouija board just because of the negative energy it is known to bring.

-Sam Ruebush Anth 102

Jessie Crivelli said...

I can name so many times when I was younger that other girls my age would play "Bloody Mary" in the bathrooms. One Halloween, someone played a prank at the Boys and Girls Club and actually smeared fake blood on the mirrors in the girl's bathroom to say "Bloody Mary was here." Talk about being scared!
I love learning about these myths and stories.

Unknown said...

Growing up we always played Ouija. My mom had an Ouija that she bought back in 1970 during high school and we always would mess around on it as kids... especially during Halloween. I grew up in a very old victorian home that was built in the 1880s and stories of an old woman dying in our home was known around town. I remember kids coming over for Halloween parties and the Ouija was the main event... and it scared EVERYONE who entered our home. Lets just say my mom was really good with her "light" fingers.
I feel that these urban legends are there to direct and teach us lessons. I remember hearing about the contaminated candy being an issue for a long time, too. The O'Bryan case was not the only time candy had been laced. In fact, in the city I grew up in one of our neighbors was a complete nut. He put pin needles in his "home made" brownie bars he gave away every single year on Halloween.

Aaliyah Caldwell said...

Till this day I can never look in the mirror and say Bloody Mary or another one like it Candy Man. I'm too scary. Also the ouji board is something I weirdly wanted to try but no one will try it with me of course I will not try alone Haha.
Aaliyah Caldwell

DeAndre Oliver said...

As a child I always played with the bloody Mary game in the bathroom. The Ouija board was always entertaining but I only had like one group of friends who would play it. I guess people thought that game was weird.I never had anyone poison my candy. I think I wouldn't be to fond of that. Overall I enjoyed reading this article.

Anonymous said...

I would never in my life touch or even go near a Ouija board EVER. It's way to risky in my opinion. I've never wanted to try to use one nor will I ever. I'm way too afraid I don't want any spirits clinging on to me. I'll definitely pass.

-Monique McAllister

Unknown said...

All of these things that is mentioned in this post is something that I heard before and that I would never do. Well I said Bloody Mary in the mirror once when I was a kid and I have ate some candy while i was trick or treating but that is as fa as I will go.

Anonymous said...

I think my mom buys in to the urban legend of poisoned halloween candy because every Halloween I was only allowed to go to a certain neighborhood where she knew everybody who lived there. It made me laugh when I saw the "Bloody Mary" example because as a kid I use to try and see her. I was so scared that one time I might actually see her. And as for the Ouija Board, I don't believe they actually work. Some friends and I have used one before multiple times and nothing has ever happened.

Logan Taylor

Anonymous said...

I have never heard the story of the young boy and the candy pixie stick but that is interesting. Parents all over are always concerned about the children's candy and be sure to check it. I am familiar with the "Bloody Mary" and "Ouija" but it creeps me out.


Kenneth Granger

Anonymous said...

I love urban legends and I heard about the bloody Mary one a long time ago. When I was younger me and my friends did the bloody Mary thing and tried to record it and my friend who was in the mirror started shaking and stuff to scare us so yea I figured out it wasn't real at a early age. I also had heard the ouija was just someones invention and it was made to capitalize on the market swarming for supernatural items. -Malachi Brewer

Apre'shana Page said...

When it comes to poisoined Halloween candy this is one urban legend that everyone should consider. I know a lot of kids that look forward to going trick or treating, anxious to go home and eat it. Luckily we have parents who inspect the candy to make sure there's nothing wrong with it but, not all kids are lucky to have those parents to check candy and there has been cases where children get injured or find suspect things in their candy.

-apreshana page

Tonii Saffore said...

My name is Tonii Saffore. When it comes to American culture you can tell our main goal is to put fear in those who don't obey. So we make up these stories and dare the most fearless person to try it, even though they already know what "might" happen. My grandma would always warn us about checking our candy after Halloween, because she would be thinking the worst of what she's already heard about.

Unknown said...

I've head about the urban legend about bloody mary. my aunt told me a story that her and my mom did it has a child and that is how she got a long scratch on the side of my face, i believe it. when i was a kid i did the same thing; i could of swore i seen something or it might have been my imagination. urban stories always excited me.

Lavonza Marshall