Saturday, June 20, 2015

Game On! Understanding Tabletop Board Game Lexicon

Figure 1: Jeremy & Josh, Tabletop Board Gamers, at RAGECon 2014
Today's post is dedicated to understanding the complex lexicon, or vocabulary, of tabletop board gamers.  Tabletop board gamers, for the purposes of this post, are board game enthusiasts who typically focus their interests in complex board games that involve a great deal of strategy, thinking, and complex fun (Figure 1).  Tabletop board gamers are differentiated from other board gamers in two primary ways: first, by the board games they opt to play, which are typically referred to by these individuals as European style board games (complex style of board games, such as Carcassonne, Smallworld, Arkham Horror, Alhambra, King of Tokyo, many more [Figure 2]), and second, by their focal vocabulary, a specific lexicon that is recognizable and important to specific groups and serves as a way of uniting the group members and differentiating nonmembers.

Figure 2: A small sample of the various types of European Style Board Games that Tabletop Board Gamers Play
A member of the Tabletop Board Game community is most often familiar with the focal vocabulary, which is often indiscernible to nonmembers.  A small sample of the words, terms, and phrases are as follows:
  1. RPG (Roleplaying game): a game in which players take on specific roles and character types in order to complete the game)
  2. Meeple: a small person shaped figure used in board games
  3. XP: experience point(s).  Many games require players earn experience points, which are used to determine the winner(s) of the game.
  4. Sleeves: thin plastic coverings for cards utilized in board games.
  5. Dice tower: a device used to roll dice fairly.
  6. D-6, D-12, D-20...: D refers to die or dice and the number refers to the number of sides on the die or dice.  Various types of multi-sided dice may be used in games, typically dependent on the style of game or the purpose the dice serve in the game.
  7. Natural #: in reference to a die roll that led to a specific number to be face up.  Some games require natural rolls versus game modifiers that allow die rolls to be artificially changed.  
  8. Mechanic: system of rules for playing games.  Various game mechanics exist, each of which are unique and preferentially desirable among specific gamers.
  9. Worker Placement: game mechanic that mandates players to make individual actions from a set of actions 
  10. Playtest: term for board game developers to test or try out board games on a group of volunteers who test the mechanics of the game and determine if the rules or other aspects of the game require clarification or revision. 
Tabletop Board Gamers at RAGECon 2014
Phrases such as RPG and meeple  can leave nonmembers confused, but they seek to demonstrate not only instruction or direction to Tabletop Board Gamers but also inclusion.  The act of recognizing the language spoken by other Board Gamers solidifies the bonds among members and creates and fosters a sense of community.  Nonmembers often are confused and feel isolated in the midst of Tabletop Board Gamers, and nonmembers may react negatively as a result.  Typically, however, most Tabletop Board Gamers are very friendly and open and willing to teach games to genuinely interested individuals, including other members of the community.

Individuals in the Reno-area who are interested in learning more about the local Tabletop Board Game community should check out Comic Kingdom, Merwin's Game Shoppe, the Reno Area Tabletop Meetup Group, and RAGECon 2015 for opportunities to participate in and learn about European style board games and more. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is so interesting. I never knew that there was such a group as tabletop board gamers. I guess living in this time period I'm only used to video gamers, that I forgot there was such a thing as actual board games. I also didn't know there were board games specifically made to be complex and cause people to actually strategize and think.
Alexandreana Cocroft
Anthro 101 3001 Summer

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this post and learned different terms in the process. My family and I are obsessed with Monopoly and now I can introduce them to different terms like Meeple and Dice Tower. I had no idea these terms existed and I'm sure my family will enjoy these new terms. I am always the car in monopoly so now I will be able to tell them it is called a meeple in table top board game lexicon.
Thank you for the interesting post!

Zachary Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Katy said...

The first lab class I attended as your student made me feel you were inclined to board games. At my family reunions, we always break out board games after dinner and play simple ones so the children can play too. Probably not anything like you're used to but I see the advantages of getting to know someone in a more relaxed setting, such as playing a game while chatting as compared to awkwardly sitting around not knowing what to say to one another.

Anonymous said...

This post is indeed interesting. I love to play board games and I would say that I am pretty good, though avid would be a terrible word to use. But, I haven't played any European style table top board games. Any advice for start up? Also how do you know if you are good enough or accepted into the group to use the cool lingo?

-Elisabeth Johnson
Anthropology 101-1002

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Well, there is actually a board game group that is free to join on Meetup.com. Reno Area Tabletop has all sorts of gaming events, ranging from Euro style board games to miniatures to RPGs. The Euro style board game events are free and open to the public (unless otherwise stated) and everyone is pretty cool, open, welcoming, and willing to teach new and interested participants. You are welcome to join it and check out the gaming events, which are pretty much every day but Mondays.

Investing in Euro style board games can be a bit pricey as games themselves range anywhere from $25-$100+ a board game. I have a pretty decent collection but I usually wait until they are on sale or I save up to get them. :)

Anonymous said...

There's a local shop, Reno Pub and Games, that has a lot of table top games, as well as video games. My interest sways back and forth for gaming. I love to, and it really is a lot of fun, but then I get very involved with other things.

Jesus Cardiel ANTH 205 said...

This is quite interesting I think that really getting into board games would be fun, but I really only play video games. Some of the terms are the same as in video games, but I do not think that with all the technology in games we have today that I could really get into board games. I do play them with family at get together's we have, but it is not very often that we play them.

Anonymous said...

This was an interesting post I myself do like board games also but I'm not so into them to the point where I know terms like RPG etc. although it would be cool going to see how this all plays out.

-Erick Anguiano

Jordan R said...

This post is all too familiar to me, as my best friend likes to play dungeons and dragons on occasion and is completely obsessed with a game called war hammer where you build army model figurines and they go to war by role of dice. It is quite the expensive game though, at this point he has over 10,000 dollars invested into the game.
Jordan R

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of table top board games. I was thinking of regular board games such as monopoly. It is kind of interesting that the groups have a specific vocabulary. I like the idea that it brings them together and feels more as a group. If I walked into something like this and wanted to play I know I would be so confused!

Leslie Milton
Anthropology 101
Course 3001

Kevin Izykowski said...

I thought RPG only applies to online games like League of Legends or World of Warcraft. And I thought there aren't that many board game events except for chess. There's a store at the mall that sells a bunch of board games. They also have fun puzzles too.

Anonymous said...

I never knew there was a such thing called TableTops. These games seems very fun and very family oriented. This generation all the games people play are game systems, spades, and now the new iMessage games.
Aaliyah Caldwell

Unknown said...

I never knew some of these terms or that there was a tabletop board game community. But its always nice to learn about different things people do and if your interested how how to talk when you participate in these activities.

Amber Barnes said...

I love how you talked about tabletop board games! Being a nerd who plays DnD and Magic it is something that is extremely important to know the slang! One important thing to all nerds is to prove you know the language!

Amou Riing said...

The post lists well-known tabletop games like Carcassonne, Smallworld, and Arkham Horror, which serve as an excellent way to introduce readers to the world of board games. This gives the conversation some background and gives people who aren't familiar with the pastime a place to start. It also focuses on how the tabletop gaming community's connections are strengthened and inclusion is promoted via the use of focused vocabulary. Players announce their identity and foster a feeling of community among themselves by using phrases that may be confusing to others but have meaning for members.