Saturday, August 2, 2014

"I'm infected by your genetics": An Exploration of Genetics Through Song (Repo: The Genetic Opera)



There are several cult classic films out there, including Evil Dead, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and The Labyrinth, but one of my favorites is Repo! The Genetic Opera.  The film is set in a futuristic, post apocalyptic world where human populations have been largely wiped out due to an infectious disease, and those who survived the disease were able to do so by undergoing costly organ replacement surgeries.  The main character of the film, Shilo, is a young girl who is a forced shut in due to her overprotective father who is convinced Shilo’s delicate immune system caused by a rare inherited blood disorder cannot withstand the contemporary biological assaults to her overall health, and the film chronicles Shilo’s adventures as she tries to embark on her own in this new dystopian world. 

This film touches on several themes that can be discussed in anthropology, including the various idiosyncrasies of culture, particularly popular culture vs. ideal culture, and biological topics, including genetics.  This blog post focuses on this latter subject, genetics.   I will explore this topic by utilizing the song, Infected, as a means of explaining the basic ideas of genetics.


Genetics is the study of heredity or the mechanisms of inheritance.  Basically, this is the field of science that focuses on how biological traits, known as genes, are passed from parent to offspring.  Our biological composition is composed of a series of genes that we receive from our parents, hence why you may hear someone say, “Oh, you have your father’s eyes,” or “You have your mother’s nose,” etc.  Or in the terms of the song, one is “infected by your genetics” (‘your’ being the parents’ genes).  Each gene codes for a specific trait, such as hair or eye color, but you may already know that there is a great variety of options available for each gene out there.  For example, if we look at human eye color, we know that the options include blue, brown, gray, green, and hazel eye colors.  These options are known as alleles, which are formally known as gene variants. 

Because each organism receives one set of genes from each parent, genes contained within an organism are paired, demonstrating that one gene comes from the mother and the other comes from the father.  The genetic options available to offspring, however, are dependent on what the parents have in regards to their own genetic compositions, which are known as genotypes.  We can guess an organism’s genotype based on their physical appearance, or phenotype.  For example, someone with blue eyes (their phenotype) would have a genotype (genetic composition) that is different from someone who has brown eyes.  I am not going to go into specifics here as that will be discussed in a different blog post.

In Shilo’s song, she says, “How much of it's genetics? /How much of it is fate? /How much of it depends on the choices that we make?”  This is important because genes are not biologically static entities as environmental conditions play a role in how genes are expressed.  Take, for example, the environmental effect of the sun.  When one receives too much sun exposure, his or her skin changes color.  As that sun exposure decreases, the skin returns to its original color again, hence why it is easier to tan in the summer vs. the winter.  As Shilo correctly identifies, there is a “fate” factor involved based on the “choices that we make”.  This is by no means the only environmental factor that affects genes, but it is the simplest to demonstrate the point that genes are acted upon by both biological and environmental factors. 

Now genes code for all sorts of traits, not just eye and hair color.  Genes provide information that result in the structure and appearance of our bodies (e.g. height and nose shape) as well as the composition of our bodies (e.g. blood type and genetic disorders).  There are several different types of inherited genetic disorders out there, including Trisomy 21 (Down’s Syndrome) and Achondroplasia (popularly known as “Dwarfism”), and these can and will affect a variety of different organ system’s and bodily functions.  In the case of the character Shilo, she believes she has a rare blood disorder that she inherited from her parents.  There are several different types of inherited blood disorders out there, including sickle cell anemia and hemophilia, although the specific type Shilo has is never identified in the film.  Shilo does not believe that she “can be fixed”, and while several genetic disorders are incredibly difficult to cure, so to speak, they can be managed.  For example, individuals with sickle cell anemia can have their disease managed with medicines and blood transfusions, although this latter option is only available to a handful of patients, and similar treatments are available to individuals with hemophilia.  Due to the nature of inherited disorders, however, very few options are available at this time, and some individuals can feel like Shilo when she states: “You have limitations, don't go chasing flies.”  This does not mean that individuals with genetic disorders cannot live fulfilling and happy lives as advances in medicine and treatment options have not only lengthened terms of life for individuals but also the quality of life.  But as Shilo correctly identified, “Oh why are my genetics such a bitch?”, which most  individuals around the world, healthy and those deemed not so healthy, feel every once in awhile when they lament the shape of their nose, their extreme or diminutive stature, or lack of socially preferred eye color.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I was adopted, my genic makeup has always been a mystery. I can understand her frustration though at being at the mercy of her genes. I can only assume that my high cholesterol and blood pressure was passed down from one of my parents since the problem has been around since I was 18.

Unknown said...

I guess genetics can be a pain sometimes. We are at the mercy of our parents genes and the odds of what genes we get. I'm sure most people can find something to complain about from which they got from their parents.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Quite true. For example, while growing up I had severe acne and required several costly medications to control it. My bad acne is a "curse" of my parents and the genes they gave me, whereas my sister never had a zit until she turned 17 (and even then it was tiny and barely noticeable).

April B said...

First of all, while I was listening to the song, my husband covered his ears and said "Turn it off, turn it off!! That movie will mess with your mind!!!!" But on to the topic at hand, genetics certainly can be a pain. Like Terry, I've had high bp and cholesterol since I was young, even though at the time I was extremely healthy in every other way. My parents, unfortunately, also have had those same issues since an early age. No matter how I adjusted my diet and exercise, I had issues. I think that the biggest frustration is that often times there is not much you can do to combat those genes.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading about the genetics because I have a better understanding on when it comes to your parents genes passing down to you, you know what to expect in the future because it "runs in the family" but I'm curious to know if certain genetics can skip a generation?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I talked about this in class, but to address that here, yes, certain alleles can skip a generation. For example, several generations can carry the blue eye allele but it not be phenotypically expressed. That allele can also potentially never be passed on, as well, thereby being removed from the gene pool for that family/group. We will get more into those specifics in later chapters.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your entry and the song is great, reminds me of another movie Hedwig and he angry inch. It also gives me insight on the future as to what I would pass on to my child if I decide to have one.

Unknown said...

There are some genes that we should watch carefully that could be inherited from our parents or grandparents, such as high blood pressure or diabetes. But others, such as in my case, I thank my parents for. My mom has brown eyes, my dad has one blue eye and one green eye. As for my sister and I, she got piercing blue eyes, and I got green. We joke that we each got one of our dads eyes, when in reality our mom was probably carrying a recessive gene in there somewhere. I think what we inherit from our parents makes us who we are, while still getting you hold onto a bit of what they are/were as well.

Anonymous said...

this article really interested me, diabetes runs in my so I like that I have a better understanding of the genetics. That song was really well done.

Anonymous said...

This entry and the song make me want to watch this movie! I could see my sister singing the part "why are my genetics such a bitch?" every time that she gets frustrated with her hair.
Sarah Howard ANTH 102-1002

Cami Cazier said...

I couldn't agree more with this video. I can find quite a few genetics from my parents that I very much dislike in myself. For example, I have really bad crooked teeth and so does my dad. My sister, on the other hand, has grown up with PERFECTLY straight teeth, just like my mom did. And all I can say is "Why, genetics, why?!"

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how people lament their "bad" genes, although the way our genes expressedthemselves make us who we are. I often wish I had my grandmother's blue eyes, but the dominant brown-eyed gene won out.
Courteney Hedicke, Anth 101

Johanna Trelles said...

It is really amazing how much of our personalities are genetic. I see so much of my grandmothers personality in my daughter, and they never got to meet while my grandma was at 100%. They like the same candies, gum, same habits, same mannerisms. Its just awesome.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

There is little reputable evidence to suggest that genes act upon personality characteristics. That wades deeply into the nature vs. nurture debate. Scientists for years have attempted for years to demonstrate a definitive link between personality and genetics, but most of those studies have found no such link. Those that have are highly suspect for various reasons. But genes do affect whether or not you like certain tastes over others since that's based on your taste buds and smelling abilities.

Anonymous said...

I like how the video reflects on the genes because i know how they work and it has to do with phenotype. I think with that video you can learn so much more.
briana Banuelos
Anthro 102 1001

Anonymous said...

I love how my mom always tells me, you got your looks and heart from your father and your sloppiness and artist skills from your uncle. Even though these are both male family members, I guess it shows how far genetics can travel through family. very awesome video too by the way. I liked the horror theme of it.

Zachary Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Anonymous said...

I have not seen any of these films. Since I had no control over what genes I received I am not going to worry about it. It does make a good excuse though! Can I get away with not doing my homework by blaming on the "lazy gene" I got from my granny?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

If such a gene existed then you could, but there would be options available to help you (or anyone) overcome that genetic "defect".

Anonymous said...

I get in a debate about this with my mother every few months. I have a few mental disorders, which I believe were passed down from my parents. I only stated this once to my mother, and wasn't trying to hurt her feelings, but since the statement was said, she constantly tries to disprove me. I believe this because two of three of my siblings share some of the same disorders as I do, and we only share the same mother. Another disorder I have can be linked with several people on my father's family. So I didn't make wild claims. But, just recently my mother told me about something she heard about bipolar disorder being linked to childhood strands of strep throat. I never had strep throat until into my 20s. My mom also tries to say that she didn't pass on a latex allergy (and the food allergies associated with it), but all of her children have this allergy. Genetics are a bitch, indeed.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

We are actually not completely sure what role genetics plays in the acquisition of mental illnesses. We recognize that there may be a specific cause but that environmental factors also play a large role. So your mother is not too far off. You also have to consider the cultural effects of saying that certain negative traits are passed down through families. Some people do carry a great deal of shame for believing-correctly or incorrectly-that they passed on something biological to their children, particularly because many do not believe we can control biology. We cannot in certain degrees but we can in others. So give your mom a break on this topic. There is more than likely more at play than a matter of scientific debate.

Jordan R said...

I enjoyed this reading because for the longest time, ever since i was small i always argued that genetics play a major role in your habits.
Jordan R

Anonymous said...

Jovie Black
Is Sickle Cell a passed on gene? Is Schizophrenia a passed on gene?
-Also, I have to listen to the song now. Sounds interesting.

Mara Caudel said...

I liked how you used songs to help me understand genetics. I agree that at times everyone doesn't like their genetic features such as their nose or eye color.

Betsy Britt ANT 495-01 said...

The problem with looking at genetics is that only genetic testing can help you truly understand where you got your genes from. Appearances, both physical and in actions, are subjective. I have noticed that people tend to see more similarities of the parent that they know better in a child.