Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Spotlight on Students: Potlatching Assignment

The following posts are guest posts from my students.  Several students did very well on their assignments in my Anth 101 class, and with their permission, I am posting their work here.  Their assignment focused on Northwest Coast Potlatching traditions and the comparison of them with modern American economic practices.

The first post is by Erika Madera-Falcon:


          The potlatches given by tribes in the North Pacific Coast show a great similarity to modern day affluent neighborhoods. Although potlatches are given to help those neighboring tribes who are going through hard times they serve more as a purpose to show publicly the wealth and status of those who are hosting the potlatch.

            Living less than a block away from larger and newer houses, it is not hard to see that the accumulations of material things are all for show. People can tell roughly how much money a person has based on the house they own. Most people would choose a larger house over a smaller house that could comfortably house each person if they had the money to do so. Then comes the cars they drive, the brand of clothes they wear, the unnecessary things they have, and the leisure they can afford. If other people cannot see how much money a person has, then there is no point in them having it. There is always a need to flaunt wealth, and it is apparent that this is no new concept of the 21st century. Tribes hosting potlatches knew what prestige would be places upon them (or the chief) for publicly showing their generosity (or rather abundance) to host such an event and give goods to other tribes.

            In modern day, having money and not sharing it with others in need (publicly, of course) would make people think that the person does not care about others and is stingy with their money, or maybe it could be that they are afraid to give out money because they do not have a way of regaining it quickly as it may appear to be. Of course, none of them would want that thought of them. There are people who give money to charities or donate items to shelters and second hand stores because, like those North Pacific Coast tribes, they have the ability and wealth to do so. They could do it because they are genuinely generous, but that is not believed if they flaunt their good deeds to other people.

            There is not much other reasoning for the deeds that wealthy people do. Without actually sitting down and talking to a person of that status it is hard to see their actions in any other way. When wealthy parents donate large amounts of money to their children’s school they only use it as a topic of conversation at the next Parent Teacher Association meeting as they compare their generosity with that of the other parents. Their children also brag about the money their parents can afford to donate to the school to other students. Then with all the money they receive they can have a nice school with new textbooks and new equipment for sports teams. This gives the school prestige because they do not have to rely on the school budgets that other schools located in less wealthy communities have to.

A good example of that in our community is the difference between SSHS and SHS. SSHS is located in a very wealthy community, so they have money to get top of the line things for their relatively new school. SHS relies solely on the money they receive from the state, which is not nearly enough needed simply for repairs of the 100-year-old school. The neighborhood it is surrounded by does not have the money to be donating to the school like SSHS does. The parents from those neighborhoods could be legitimately generous and donate to SHS as the school could use the money tremendously, but they rather keep up the prestige of the school and keep the separation of those who have the money, and those who do not.

It appears that people who have the power to help and change things in the community, because money gives power, decide to use it poorly. They favor the prestige in the community over the possibility of helping those who need the money a great deal. They do donate to those who are less fortunate than most of the community, it is true, but some of the other money they donate is helping a cause that has already been solved.


This second post is written by Danielle Langum:


Potlatching was a ceremony practiced by Native American groups. The ceremony consisted of sponsors giving away material capitals or services while creating prestige for themselves.  Men, women, and children all participated in the potlatches. One obvious advantage of the potlatch was, “As it operates on the Northwest Coast, this institution, the potlatch, enables the individual to assemble an appreciative and purposeful audience outside his immediate localized kinship group” (Barnett 351). Parties of high and low status both benefited from the potlatching.

The activity in modern economic life that I would consider to be most comparative to Northwest Coast potlatching would be charities. A group of prestigious people are usually the founders and biggest contributors to charities. That being said everyone is invited to participate in charities, and wealth and services are being shared and spread around. The difference between charities, though, is that they are usually specific types of services for a specific type of cause. A comparative characteristic is the founder and biggest contributors of charities get recognition and prestige for their efforts and donations like the host of the potlatches do.  As stated in our hand out potlatching “affords an opportunity for participation by all classes and degrees of property owners accounting to their means” as the same with charities (Barnett 351).  Charities also put on big events and celebrations in efforts to spread the knowledge and wealth of a cause and its founders as potlatching also offers big efforts and parties to spread wealth and services.

In the average life of my wealthy family friends I do not see the generosity and spread of wealth among them toward others.  We were asked the question, “What roles might huge mansions/homes, lavish parties, and luxury cars, for example, have other than flaunting wealth?” In these situations I see the rich as more of a community and they are sharing resources among each other. Other than donations and charity, there is not much being done to help outside their wealthy community. The mansions, parties, and luxurious life style is used to distinguish them from others and let their wealth be known to others. Their wealth is used to contribute to their own happiness. The social clubs and political and economic networks that they belong to are again in their own wealthy community. You see the wealthy class society at the county club, not the local public gym. Money is power in our society and is not distributed without justified cause or returned favors or recognition. The commonality in this between the wealthy community and potlatching is that potlatching brought more prestige onto the host as does when the wealthy contribute outside their community through things such as charities.

 I think the idea that the middle class is growing smaller and that there has grown more separation between the rich and the poor shows that Americans may favor competition and social prestige at the expense of society’s overall social and environmental well-being. I do think charities are a great way of distributing wealth to the needy, but I think it should be a more common practice to be a continual distribution of wealth. If more and more wealthy people and people even in just a comfortable life style gave to charities and donated more time and efforts to those in desperate need for your efforts, there would be less people in desperate need.  If the charities were less about the person promoting them and more about the actual cause and gaining more involvement I thing they would be more effective.

By having money more evenly dispersed instead of the rich getting richer and the poor growing poorer I think our society would be more effective. More people would be able to contribute to our society and in turn our economy would be able to grow in its efforts.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I think it is sad that today the wealthy are not more generous with there resources. When you think about it, there is enough food, clothing, and shelter for the entire world. No one needs to starve or be homeless but many are. It particularly hurts to see large vacant buildings here in our own city, when it could easily be used as a shelter. The Natives definitely had a good thing going on, though it does seem that they did it to show there power and prestige as much at to help there people. The more you can afford to give away seamed to be a measure of the power you must have had. If only the 1% thought this way. Justin Vanderhoef

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I agree with what you're saying, but I do not agree with one term: Natives. It is best to say either Native Americans or Indigenous groups, both of which are specific to the groups' preference. Something to keep in mind.

Anonymous said...

I am probably going to catch a lot of disagreement on this but here is what I think. Charities are great. The idea of it all is great. Potlatches live on through charities. It's a great thing when people give back to the less fortunate in their community. It should be a choice. I do not see why a persons wealth needs to be distributed to the poor. It's their money, let them do with it what they please. I like to have nice things. I don't make a habit of flaunting them to others. I could care less what people think of me. I enjoy it for the personal fulfillment and challenge that go along with affording them. Honestly, who doesn't like nice things. I do not flaunt them in other peoples faces. Nicer things make life easier.why else would they be so desirable. I sincerely do not believe every wealthy person is that narcissistic. I'm not sure why it is my job to give all the money I earn to charities because I work my butt off and create a good living for myself. Some people would rather not work for anything in their lives. Thats fine, but you can't expect to get anything out of it unless you put the work in. Now I know this is an extreme way to viewing things, but who cares how much money the next guy has. You get out of it what you put in. Don't get me wrong, some people are the luckiest losers in the world. Look at trust fund babies who inherit millions. Is it fair? No. Is it right? Heck no! But it's the way it is. How would anyone like the idea of working so hard to save a bunch of money for their kids and grandkids to enjoy their lives when it all gets taxed away from them? I'm sure it would make the kids and grandkids feel as though they were robbed of what was meant to be theirs.

Okay, I said my piece. I'm ready to be roasted.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I'm not going to roast you, but I do disagree with one fundamental argument you provided herein: Not everyone who busts their butts gets what they deserve. I have seen countless academics to blue collar workers worth their butts off, put in countless hours of research/work, get grant money/make and exceed sales goals or whatever work goals there may be, and not have anything to show for it in the end. I can think of two examples-one academic and one blue collar-just off the top of my head. Two individuals who deserve to be rewarded for all of their efforts but instead are at the bottom rungs of society and shamed for it. The idea you describe is known as meritocracy, the idea that if you work hard you can achieve anything, but as you will hopefully learn throughout the course, not everything that glitters is gold and not everyone who works hard is rewarded. There are, as you put it, the luckiest losers in the world, but there are far more of the unluckiest losers in the world: those born with undesireable traits based on cultural standards who no matter what they do, how well they do it, or what they achieve will always be put down and never allowed to succeed. Keep an open mind in the course and you may start to notice some of those things that I am talking about.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said in your reply actually. The merit system is very flawed. But, is there a better solution? I still feel as though the whole redistribution of wealth thing is wrong. I have been on both ends, being an unlucky loser and being a person of high merit, and I I know if I was to make a large sum of money for my family and it was taken away from me because the poor wanted it redistributed I would not be very happy. I'm not saying my point of view is perfect. I would simply not appreciate that happening and can sympathize when it happens to some people. Obviously I would would not give a care in the world of Bill gates was taxed 100 million or some famous musician. The amount they make off of just royalties alone is sickening. That's the name of the game though. If your born in a society that deems you excessively good looking chances are you can make millions off of it. It sucks for us average looking folk. I will definitely keep an open mind in the course as a mean to expand my horizons on these topics.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I think you missed the point of potlatching. Potlatching is a practice where people with great wealth opt to pass along the excess in times of plenty so in times of their own need the people who were the beneficiaries feel an obligation to return the previous favor when they were in need. It's no different that what we mean when we say "tit for tat".

As for a better system, there are several successful systems out there that have demonstrated not only that they work but they're good for all individuals. In fact, I like the Norwegian system-they give people tickets and fines based on their income, so everyone is treated the same but fined based on their income. The owner of Nokia got caught speeding and had to pay quite the heftier fine for that ticket than someone like you or I would have to pay. Great for the government, too, if you think about it.

April B said...

I think that potlatching is a wonderful practice. If my memory serves me correctly, a lot of Native American tribes were not wasteful and preferred to share when they had plenty. I like that if one person (or tribe) had an abundance, they gave it away with the hope that they people they shared with would, at some point, be able to sponsor their own potlatch. Potlatching brought prestige to the sponsor, but the guests definitely benefited. I have to wonder if this practice is where potlucks come from, since they are somewhat similar.

Anonymous said...

I understand the point of potlatching, the only thing I'm trying to say is that it is a choice and no one should be frowned upon for not partaking in potlatching like charities. Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I agree with potlatching it provides help for everyone. In my religion it says "let not one hand know what the other hand is doing" meaning you have to give it away in order to appreciate what you have. I grew up in a middle class neighborhood and I did have celebrities that lived around me and I went to
school with their children. I was fortunate enough to be able to know a Miss America and you would never know that she was a celebrity. She taught me kindness, how to be polite to those less fortunate than I was and to truly appreciate what I did have. I have never been one to keep up with the "Jones" I find that to be appalling and low self esteem to show boat what you have a nice bmw, a huge home, and a huge hole in your pocket for trying to show off how much money you have. I watched a tv show called "good times" and in one episode they had a rent party because one of the tenants where going to be evicted and they lived in the projects. The rent was gathered and given to the people who were short on their rent. I do not mind donating my time, or money to any charity. I know some very wealthy people and you would never know that they had money and I believe that is how is should be. Why would you want to put yourself out there as narrow minded person who only has their own best interest at heart who looks down on the people who are less fortunate than them. They do not flaunt their wealth and they do make donations but they make donations anonymously as to not bring attention to themselves which is a refreshing way of donating. I wonder and feel really bad when I see people at the freeway off ramps with signs asking for money. My father and I performed an experiment where my father and I posed as homeless and hungry. My father had a sign that said he was a vietnam veteran and also homeless. When the day was over we had collected more than $200.00 and we donated the money to the homeless shelter. I have taken my children to the soup kitchens in Los Angeles and had them serve soup to the homeless and displaced people. My children have a greater appreciation for having a roof over their head, a car to get from point a to b and back to a again. It does not matter how much money they earn or have. My three children and I make a monthly trip to the food banks and donate time and food, blankets and clothes. Potlatches are very important part of being a human being and as the saying goes "it is better to give than it is to receive." Every holiday we adopt a family and donate a meal for the whole family or if it is christmas we buy a tree, trimmings, gifts and a dinner granted it is not a lot but it is something I have tried to instill in my children as my parents taught me to always be helpful. We were put on this earth to help each other and to take care of each other.

Amanda Granger said...

Potlatching is a good practice. It evenly distributes wealth around a certain area. I think if more people in this country participated in potlatching, maybe some of our economics would not be so down. People, I think would be less inclined to join into criminal activities. If someone who has an extreme amount of wealth and objects that are controlling them, they should be willing to spread that around. Yet, a lot of "filthy rich" persons these are stingy and do not think that it is an issue for anyone else that they have so much. Even if they did work their butt off for, they should not be so blind to the "little" people in our society, and ignore the fact that maybe they are where they are not because they are lazy, but maybe because they have very bad times and can not help the situation they are in. What happened to the helping everyone from older days in our society before all this money and material items became so important? Not many people these days have a heart big enough to see others needs. I was raised that if you have the means to help someone, help someone.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Not to begrudge those who earned their wealth (as I know a few people who are those "Cinderella stories" where they worked their butts off to get where they are today) but the majority (if not all) of the 1% in the US (and world, perhaps) are individuals who inherited their wealth.

Morre Hughes said...

The post written on potlatching by Danielle Langum was very well written. Her opinion and explanation on the topic was easy to follow and agree with, in my opinion. Danielle is a close personal friend of mine, but even with that bias I still feel that it was very well done. I have also found the various comments in regards to potlatching very interesting. The free will we are given as Americans allows us to "give back" as much as we want. Giving the excess to the less fortunate with the hopes of being able to get something in terms of pay back if needed, is a system that worked for the Native Americans. I think it is a great concept. I personally am a BIG BIG fan of outreach. My husband and I hand out groceries to those in need every week. We give roughly $40.00 in groceries to about 80 homes every week. This is such a passion for me. I love talking to people, hugging them if that is what they need. Sometimes a hug and some good conversation is all that is needed, and goes such a long way in peoples lives. Anyone, regardless of their station can do that. I don't like to look at anything I give as excess. I want to give these people, that feel like family now, my best, my first fruit. So many times someone has come in with ratty shoes, or a beat up jacket. I don't give them the shoes off my feet (or anyone else's) I go buy them a brand new pair. Because they deserve it! I have the ability to do so, so I am going to do it. As often as I can, for anyone that needs it, all the time! Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. I am just so passionate about outreach.

Brian Ball said...

I have to agree with the content shared by both students in their assignments and would like to add that many charities, while outwardly pictured as not-for-profits, have board members who are taking away large salaries each and every year. These salaries are sourced from donations by people who are intending the funds to be put to use by the charity via the actions represented in their mission statements. A really great list of the "America's Worst Charities" can be found here:

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

This list includes some organizations of which many readers will likely be shocked by, as was I upon first reading it. Who would think that donating to the American Breast Cancer Foundation would be padding the pockets of their board and not helping come up with prevention and cures for breast cancer? Certainly not me. Until now.

That being said, I feel that if we as a community/city/state/country/planet are able to come together and divide the wealth among the have's and the have-not's, the world would see a lot less suffering, and the great divide between third and first world countries would vastly disappear. While some may consider this "communism" or "socialism", I feel that despite the terminology assigned to it, beginning to utilize this concept is at minimum, a step in the right direction.

-Brian Ball

girlmeeko said...

How could this be seen as negative? In my world I would consider this a win win.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Potlatching goes against capitalist economic practices, hence why it was viewed as a negative thing.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't potlaching happened all over the world but in various of ways? I think it is bad to do that or is it a good thing to do? do people still practice this?
briana banuelos 102 1001

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Potlatching as described herein is making a revival among NW Coastal Indigenous groups, although it has changed to meet their needs. I believe variations still very much occur today in other groups and cultures. As for if it's a good or bad thing that is a matter of personal opinion.

Anonymous said...

Potlaching is very common in most cultures especially of Native Americans. Tribes from miles away will gather at one center point, usually of the tribe that invited them, and share food, culture, goods and other items to show prestige and achieved status. It is sad that modern day prestige is mostly valued by how wealthy you are.

Zachary Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Anonymous said...

In my old neighborhood, many of the residents were Vietnam vets and non-sociable people who lived in trailers without electricity, running water or other amenities. Most received monthly checks from the government. Once a month everyone got together and had a "potluck". Meat, vegetables and other perishables were eaten in large quantities and shared because there was no way of preserving them.

PitaLara said...

The High school that I went to was evenly split between wealthy, middle class, and poor students. The parents that usually participated in the child education would always give a lot of money to the school and they would be praised for their kind thoughts. This is good because the poor students that go to the school benefit from the money that is being donated by the wealthy parents and in the other hand the parents usually do it so their child has a good relationship with the school and has a social advantage in the school. Like potlatching one community that has more resources then the other shows their generosity, by giving back although in Western cultures we do it to gain something out of it.

Unknown said...

If we as a culture practiced more Potlatching techniques we as a people would benefit as a whole. Would the government's welfare program be considered a potlatch? If we took care of our homeless, weak, and diseased, we would be better prepared as a country and have a better sense of comradery amongst our citizens.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

No, the government's welfare system is not a potlatching system.

Anonymous said...

I believe potlatching is a wonderful practice and I think is a good approach comparing to the charities. For both their wealth is used to contribute to their own happiness as well as, the prestige in the community over the possibility of helping those who need the money. Absolutely, money give a big power to the people and then, they can help and change things in the community. However, I am agree If the charities were less about the person promoting them and more about the actual cause and gaining more involvement I thing too they would be more effective. The society will be too much better if the half of world's wealth will be not in hands of 1 % of population, so more people would be able to contribute to our society and in turn our economy would be able to grow in its efforts.

Eliana Llanos
ANTH 101

Charlie Goggin said...

Many of the Native Americans I have encountered prefer to be called Indians including some of the Northern Paiute people here in Fallon but by no means has it been all of them! I have met people who dislike either term and that makes it more difficult. I am wondering if the younger generations are more strongly preferring Native Americans, do you know? I used to hang out with a "gang" of elders in the Morongo tribe down in Southern California when I was a kid and they all referred to themselves and each other as Indians. Yet, I am reminded of the terrible slang term that African Americans call each other that no Caucasian would or should use.

I usually say, "Native American" because "Indian" means from India to me. This is a tricky situation and I am glad you brought it up. As a person who's grandparents came over from Europe, I am keenly aware of the genocide that occurred here in the Americas. I truly do not wish to offend anyone, but particularly a group of people who have been treated so very badly by Europeans.

Anonymous said...

In all honesty, I believe practices such as potlatches should absolutely be based upon the level of prestige associated with them (and not much else). There is nothing wrong with wanting to be recognized for your accomplishments, regardless of the nature of those achievements. Whether I come in first place at the CrossFit Games or if I sell my first start-up company for $2.5 billion to Mark Zuckerberg, I want to be recognized and admired for that. Both are prestigious honors bestowed upon me in recognition for the hard work I've put in.

I feel we live in a society that places so much emphasis on the notion of "spreading the wealth" that we render the structure of a capitalist economy null and void. Granted, there is no doubt the gap between wealthy and poor has consistently widened over the years, I believe the duty of society should be to promote new ways of thinking to help those in need become self-sufficient versus attempting to pacify the situation by providing handouts. Perhaps that means holding seminars each week on small business entrepreneurship or speeches from accomplished members that stress the importance of smart investing. It is imperative we promote the ideology of hard work and innovating thinking if we want to truly "spread the wealth." Handouts will only last so long.

Neva Rodrigues
ANTH 101, Section 3001

Unknown said...

this is such a prickly discussion because it really makes us look at ourselves and how we behave in society. at one point in our western culture the "richer" would donate in church and the church would address the needy. It seams that we are now expecting the government to take from the "wealthy" and distribute to the poorer. I know for me - I have a worked hard and have a good life. I have the ability to help those less fortunate and I do what I can when I can (I don't want to go in to details on this) - but it is my choice how I see it happen. I think that if we really care about each other as we claim...then we would all do our own individual part and the potlatch practice would be irrelevant. Unfortunately there is a large gap between what people say and what they do.

Anonymous said...

I think that the wealthy class are not generous with there resources because they are kind of selfish, I mean I know they nobody helped them make their money but it wouldn't hurt to help people that are really in need out.

-Monique McAllister

Chaviz Nguyen said...

I comprehend the purpose of potlatching, the main thing I'm attempting to state is that it is a decision and nobody ought to be disliked for not sharing in potlatching like foundations.

Anonymous said...

I do feel that those who are more fortunate should want to help those in need . Yes I know some may have not helped you get to where you are at now but it does not hurt to give back I always try to remember that saying you rep what you sow and you do good to others and good will be done to you . - Mykia Chaney

Unknown said...

I found both of the articles very interesting. Both of the articles are well written. They both shared valuable information and their points of views. But I think the upper class don't want to help the middle or poor class because if they do, it wouldn't be any more classes, it would only would be one and they would be competing against each other.
-Aide Gonzalez

Apreshana Page said...

This potlatch is something like a salvation army or any charity that gives to those who are less fortunate.

I don't like how those who throw it do it to show how superior or fortunate they are. You should do things for people because its the right thing to do not because you want others to know what you have.

-Apre'shana Page

Julian Anderson said...

I do not see the generosity and spread of wealth among the wealthy to the less fortunate, what I see is more of a tax right off and an attempt to gain prestige and recognition.I find it interesting how the most wealthy people use what is known as a potlatch as a charity while knowing the real reason behind it is getting recognition and prestige for their efforts and donations. If a wealth individual was actually trying to help the community he/she should not have to do it just to get recognized for flaunting their wealth to those less fortunate

Anonymous said...

It's a great thing when people give back to the less fortunate in their community. It should be a choice. I do not see why a persons wealth needs to be distributed to the poor. It's their money, let them do with it what they please. Don't get me wrong I'm not being stingy, but people should do things out the kindness of their hearts. - Alexis Buford

Anonymous said...

THE EXAMPLES IN THE FIRST ARTICLE HELPED ME UNDERSTAND A LITTLE BETTER & THE LIFE COMPARISON IN THE SECOND ARTICLE HELPED AS WELL. DOES THE GOVERNMENT PARTICIPATE IN THIS AS WELL?
-JASMINE BUSBY