Saturday, March 21, 2015

Guest Post: Caroline Robertson, Anthropology Student, & Her Start in Cultural Anthropology


The following is a guest post by a former student of mine, Caroline Robertson.  It discusses her journey into ethnographic research as an undergraduate anthropology student, and it provides a very real portrayal of the realities of performing research, particularly for a novice ethnographer.  She recently won an award for a formal paper on this ethnographic research.  Caroline will be attending graduate school in the fall at UNLV, where she'll continue her studies in anthropology and history.

            Ethnography is not what I thought it would be. At this time I have come to love it, but it was not what I was expecting. I was expecting excitement, ease, and enlightenment. I got two out of the three but in very different ways.
            I ended my junior year of college with the goal of performing an ethnography on the stigmas that are placed on patients that come into a hospital with Hepatitis C. Because of volunteering at the local hospital, I noticed a reoccurring stigma behind diagnosed Hepatitis C patients that was exhibited by the hospital staff. I presented this idea to a professor who works in medical anthropology who agreed to guide me in my proposed ethnographic research. But by the time I met with my professor for the second time, I had realized that I had bitten off more than I could chew.
            My professor first prescribed me with a list of readings to review so that I may have a better understanding of how to write a proposal of research for the Human Subjects Committee (HSC). The first draft I had my professor review needed major revisions. After this, it took me about three more times to get my work presentable for the committee. After I had done this, I went on a major Amazon shopping trip. I spent one hundred and fifty dollars on books that had to do with Hepatitis C patients and ethnographic research. I lived and breathed research for the next month. Then my life hit some rough patches. Relationships began not working out in my life, I was thrown into a deep depression, and then I just gave up on my intended research.
            After this, I questioned everything I was doing in my life. I questioned why I wanted to do this ethnographic research and why I was majoring in anthropology. I thought I loved the discipline. I had fallen in love with it my first year of college when I took Dr. Boston’s introduction to biological anthropology course. I was intrigued by all the possibilities that the major offered to those who were willing to study. I loved how to discipline was so interchangeable and included everything I wanted to do.
            Nevertheless here I was, looking for another discipline to major in.  I thought about all the things that I might like to do excluding anthropology. I had ten windows open on my computer of different majors that I might like, but I never got the courage up to officially change my major.
            After the summer, I was beginning the first semester of my senior year. I had a new outlook on life and was finally starting to get out of my depression. I had a new schedule of classes ranging from anthropology (still my major) to criminal justice, just to see what else was out there. I took an anthropological writing course and decided to give myself one more shot at anthropology before I made my decision. After a discussion with my friend, I decided to perform an ethnography on a local tragedy, the Herrin Massacre.
            I had always been interested in history, especially that of tragedy. When my friend told me about the massacre, I wondered why I hadn’t heard of it before. After all, Carbondale is only a fifteen-minute drive from the town and my dad is from the southern Illinois area. I thought for sure that that I would have been informed of that large of a tragedy before now. I began doing research on the massacre and found out why I hadn’t heard of it before; the people of Herrin don’t like to talk about it. They don’t like to bring it up and they don’t like outsiders asking about it. It’s a taboo subject for most people in the area and they would like to forget that it happened.
            For this ethnography, I filled out another HSC application for SIU to receive permission to interview the people of Herrin about the massacre. After I received my approval, I went to work contacting everyone I knew that was from southern Illinois to see if they had any connection with Herrin. I threw myself into this research much like I had the last one. I read as many books on the Herrin Massacre as possible. I emailed librarians and historical society members to see if I could get an interview with anyone from the area. After I got one interview, I got another. And another. And another. I finished my research at the end of my semester and received an A on my ethnography for the class.
            The main difference between the ethnography on Hepatitis C and the Herrin Massacre was my state of health and my interest in the subject. I was mentally healthier when I performed an ethnography this time. I felt more connected to my interviews and found that I was much more interested in historical anthropology than that of medical anthropology. I enjoyed my interviews and was enlightened by the information I learned from my project. My final project did not come easy to me, but I was passionate about the subject. I went from looking for another field to major in and fell back in love with anthropology. I found out that how you approach a situation will have a big affect on how much you enjoy it.
 

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Anthropology 102:1002
I found this article to be very helpful to me. I'm struggling with college this semester as well because of personal issues, and I've had to talk myself out of quitting about 5 times. I never did though, and just kept coming to class; much like she thought about changing majors but never did. I like reading about struggles conquered because of perseverance!

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Caroline will enjoy reading this, I'm sure. I remember when she was struggling as she came to me for advice, so I can attest to the authenticity of her statements. She also feels very secure and happy with her choice, particularly as she has gotten into two of her top grad school choices.

You can get through school, too. You're a bright student, and your very dedicated to your education. Just keep faith in yourself. :)

Anonymous said...

It's hard hearing stories like this. Life does throw really bad things at us. The hardest part is trying to work through it and get your mind back around school work. I had a loss of siblings in the middle of the last time I was in school. It took awhile for me to get back into school. Trying to find the love you had for your choice in your major. It takes some work, but when you find it again "your goals" it's a great feeling.

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Yes, life is difficult and often times does throw us curve balls that can and often times do derail our plans, and yes, getting back on task is fulfilling and rewarding. Yours & Caroline's stories demonstrate that one can reach his/her goals despite whatever challenges life throws one's way.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed and connected with this blog entry. I have also found myself curious about my current field of study and have wondered if this is the correct path for myself. I give a solute to this woman as she continued on to find her passion and never giving up.
-Maria Whack TTH 11 AM class.

Unknown said...

I am so glad that Caroline found her place. I know what a struggle your studies can be when you feel lost or discouraged, I can completely relate.

Anonymous said...

in the beginning she reminds me of myself having to much i can handle on my first semester of college with a full schedule. since i didn't know how much i could handle i did what i to do and i tried my best with my first semester being hard i had to keep doing the work. At some point we can all relate to her.
Briana banuelos
anthro 102 Tu Thurs 12;30

girlmeeko said...

Anthropology is such a vast and exciting field if I was to start school earlier in life I would have loved to go into cultural anthropology or linguistic anthropology except there is a lot of watching and waiting in anthropology and I am really not the most patient person.Nikki Meeko

Unknown said...

Anthropology is very interesting, but it does take certain person to study it. Thank you for all you do.

Anonymous said...

Truly moving article about not giving up and going after the things you love even if life throws you down hard. That is what life does. It throws the strongest people down the worst hole because they know they will come out on top. Just keep climbing because the best things in life are yet to come.

Awesome post!

Zachary Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Jesus Cardiel ANTH 205 said...

This post is something that needs to be read by many college students because it is hard trying to find what you want to do for the rest of your life. Times get tough and people need to know they have to keep going and push through. You need to find something you really like to study about and then you will love your job as did this poster. They showed that they had so much passion about their major even through hard times they fought through and were able to come back and do well. It is very inspiring and a great read for people who may be having a hard time.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this blog. It was really nice of her to explain what she was going through. I would have to say every college student has been through depression. I myself went through something similar when trying to choose from chemistry to criminal justice.
Aaliyah Caldwell

Ashley Jacobson said...

I can kind of relate because I have changed my major three times; whereas she thought about it and never did. that is very strong of her.

Steven Benton said...

This article is very motivational it puts you into a future understanding of what you really want to do with your life. Through deciding on what fits you best I believe anxiety can play a factor but if you have a strong work ethic you can make anything happen that you want to do for the rest of your life.

Apre'shana Page said...

Not knowing exactly what you want to do when you start college is common and there's nothing wrong with it. Growing up I started off wanting to be a lawyer, not sure why that's just where my interest fell. When I was about 9 years old my mother suffered from several strokes and I had to teach her everything over when she recovered so my interest shifted from wanting to be a lawyer to wanting to be a nurse. Then I came to Lincoln as a nursing major after my second semester freshman year I decided that nursing wasn't the route for me so here I am as a criminal justice major with intentions of going to law school afterwards. I think what you want to do in the future all depends on the struggle you go through coming up. Great post.

-Apre'shana Page

Tonii Saffore said...

I agree with you 100% about this post needing to be seen by all college students. I think that freshman and seniors would have especially benefit from this because coming in as a freshman is stressful because you feel as though you need to have all your ducks in a row. And seniors face the fear of not being prepared for their field or maybe regretting what they majored in. I like how she shared her struggles with everyone because there's this misperception in college that it's not okay to be at a low point or admit that you are having difficulties. This was definitely a great read.