Saturday, April 13, 2024

Spotlight on Students: Origins and Meanings of American Idioms

 This post highlights the work required of my SA 202: Introduction to Anthropology students. Students were given the opportunity to research and identify the origins and meanings of time of a specific American phrase that they selected. Several students were given the opportunity to have their exemplary work featured on the blog, and the students who provided permission have their work featured here in this and the following blog posts. Please show your appreciation for their work through the comments.

 

The phrase "Hail Mary" was popularized by football games (Image Source: YouTube)

 

By: Ahmesha Johnson

I decided to choose the sports phrase “ Hail Mary.” I chose this phrase because when I think of "Hail Mary" personally, I think of a last resort that may or may not work, but you have to take the chance. A lot of times I hear the term "Hail Mary" in television shows with doctors. 

What I think this phrase means based on context clues from the ways that I have heard it I think that it means desperation.  You have no other plan or idea of what to do, and you just have to go with what your gut is telling you.  When it comes to sports the phrase "Hail Mary" came into the Sports World because of the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, Roger Staubach, in 1975. Roger Staubach used the term to describe a miracle touchdown that he threw to Drew Pearson in the playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings. 

The original term "Hail Mary" came from The Gospel of Luke in the Bible where they are praying about blessing the woman's womb. Today, the term "Hail Mary" is used to describe a desperate chance to get a winning outcome against all odds in any circumstance.

 I was unable to find a clear reason why the phrase "Hail Mary" changed over the years, but by using some context clues within the reading "Hail Mary" was used because the Virgin Mary was pregnant with Jesus and they wanted to praise her.  In 2024 it means taking a big risk or praying for a miracle, so I am kind of conveying that they took the term instead of praying for the miracle of Jesus being born into praying for a miracle in different scenarios and situations.

Sources cited 

“The Biblical Roots of the Hail Mary.” Ascension Press Media, media.ascensionpress.com/podcast/the-biblical-roots-of-the-hail-mary/#:~:text=Luke%201%3A26%2D28%20%E2%80%93.

 

  Sheridan, Phil. “How Roger Staubach and Drew Pearson Made the “Hail Mary” Pass Famous.” HISTORY, Phil Sheridan, 6 Aug. 2021, www.history.com/news/hail-mary-pass-roger-staubach-drew-pearson-1975. Accessed 21 Feb. 2024.

 

The phrase "come out swinging comes from boxing (Image source: Princeton University Press)

By: Devin White

I chose the phrase, "Come out swinging.". I chose this phrase because I have heard it from coaches before in the past. I also chose the phrase because I think it is a good saying to get someone pumped up for what they are going to do. I think what it means is to come out ready and aggressive in a way. Also, it means to not be scared of the moment and to be confident in yourself. The origin of the phrase comes from boxing. According to Huong (2021), "It refers to a boxer who starts a match by firing fists unrestrainedly." Back then it meant that the boxer was out of control and just throwing punches. Now I think it means to just be aggressive and to have determination that you can get whatever is done. I think time changed the meaning of the phrase because it was first perceived as someone just going out erratic, but I look at it as being more aggressive than passive, not out of control.  I do not know specifically what changed the meaning, but I like what it stands for. One thing the meaning says about our culture is we do not like to back down and we also show encouragement to others.

 

Youridioms.com, J. H. (n.d.). Come out swinging explanation, meaning, origin - the biggest idioms dictionary. Your Idioms. https://www.youridioms.com/en/idiom/come-out-swinging

Martin, G. (n.d.). Phrases, sayings and proverbs we use everyday - with their meanings and origins explained. Phrasefinder. https://www.phrases.org.uk/

 

 

7 comments:

Allesha said...

That's a really interesting explanation of the phrase "Hail Mary"! I love how you connected it to the idea of a last resort or desperation, especially in sports. It's fascinating to see how the term has evolved over time and taken on different meanings.

Abbi Conrad said...

Thank you for illustrating the connection of the sports phrase "hail Mary" to its biblical reference. I think that it is amazing that even after two thousand years a phrase can still hold similar meaning of hoping for a miracle or praising one.

Amou Riing said...

"Come out swinging" in boxing refers to someone who is brave, aggressive, and prepared to win right now. When it was originally employed, it was to characterize an excessively hostile boxer who was throwing punches. However, the meaning has evolved throughout time, becoming less erratic and more resolute and strong. The definition of the word demonstrates a readiness to take risks and self-assurance, as well as our society's tendency to cede and assist others. The phrase originated in boxing, as it was perceived to be capricious.

Trey Sestak said...

That is interesting, I have always assumed that the term, "come out swinging" had something to do with boxing, but I found the "hail Mary" phrase interesting. I had always figured that the phrase was prayer related, but I never knew its exact origin. It is also not just sports related, there are achievements in some FPS called "Hail Mary" and has more to deal with distance but is still in a similar context.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what made the football player use that term out of hundreds of different terms he could have used, and why it's stuck so much in the Sports World.
-Ahmesha Johnson

Amieen Robinson said...

I didn't really think that deep about the hail mary until I read your blog i mean its obvious but didn't know that's what it really means.

Anonymous said...

I have previously heard of both phrases "Hail Mary" and "Come out swinging", but I never did research to understand the original meaning or origin of the phrases. It is interesting to learn how the use of these phrases have changed over time, because I did not realize the phrases were used for different meanings than they are used today.

-McKenzie Williams