Saturday, October 26, 2019

Light the Way: The Story of the Jack-O-Lantern


Figure 1: Jack-o-lanterns (Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary)


The end of October is marked by a variety of holidays, including Samhain, All Saint’s Day, El Dia de los Muertos, and Halloween.  A favored past time of Halloween is the tradition of carving a pumpkin, which is referred to as a jack-o-lantern (Figure 1).  Jack-o-laterns have a very long history, as well as an interesting origins story.  Many people, however, are unaware of this history, which is the topic of today’s blog post.

The tradition of carving pumpkins is a relatively new one.  It is a tradition that stems from the United Kingdom (Ireland, Scotland, and England) where for centuries various types of gourds were carved and lit around this time of the year.  The Irish and Scotts preferred to carve potatoes and turnips (Figure 2), while the English chose beets.  The exact origins of this tradition are believed to have Pagan roots and were related to harvest festivals.  Unfortunately, the original stories of how and why such practices began are unknown, but they may have derived from natural acts of decomposition of plants in marshy areas.  These plants sometimes catch on fire during this process, and a story to explain this phenomenon may have been born.  

Figure 2: Carved turnips were the original jack-o-lanterns (Source: CBC)

A more common story about the origins of the jack-o-lantern, however, comes from Irish folklore, and it is the tale of Stingy Jack, who tricked the Devil multiple times.  The first time was when Jack invited the Devil for a drink at a local tavern, but when it came time to settle their bill Jack refused to do so.  Instead he convinced the Devil to turn into a coin, which he then kept near a Christian cross.  This trapped the Devil, which angered Him greatly, but He bargained for his release with Jack by agreeing not to bother him for a year and not take his soul if Jack died during that time.  The Devil honored his word and returned a year later to have His revenge on Jack, but Jack was once again not having it.  He asked the Devil to pick some fruit from the top of a tree, and when the Devil was up in the tree Jack trapped Him by carving a cross into the base of the tree.  The Devil once again bargained for his freedom, but this time the penalty was ten years before He and Jack would meet again.  Unfortunately, Jack passed away during that time, but his consequences did not.  God was offended by Jack’s trickery and refused to allow him entrance into Heaven.  The Devil was weary of Jack’s antics and also refused him entry into Hell.  This left Jack cursed to roam the Earth as a lost soul, but God took pity on him, so to speak, and gave him an eternally burning ember to light his way as he traveled.  Jack carved a gourd and placed the ember in it as his lantern to light his way.  It is said that people carved gourds and left them at their windows either to commemorate Jack’s deeds or to scare him and other wicked spirits from entering their homes, lest they be tricked, too.

But this begs the question as to how exactly pumpkins became the carving medium of choice?  This is an easy question to answer.  Immigrants from the United Kingdom came to the US and found the native gourd, the pumpkin, a better medium for continuing their tradition, hence how the new tradition was born here in the United States.  So whatever your reason for carving a jack-o-lantern this year you will now have some cultural knowledge to accompany your past time.

Works Cited

Brinn, Jan. Pumpkin carving: The history of the jack-o’-lantern. 8 October 2015. Electronic. 2 August 2019.
History.com Editors. History of the Jack O’ Lantern. 27 October 2009. Electronic. 2 August 2019.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary. The History of 'Jack-O'-Lantern'. 2019. Electronic. 2 August 2019.

19 comments:

breonia gregory said...

I found this topic very interesting. I've never heard of this story of jack and the devil but I have heard of Halloween being of Pagen decent.

kiara shoulders said...

This topic is really interesting. I personally never heard of this story of a jack o lantern tricking the devil. The part I wish I could ask more questions on is why didn't God like the idea of the jack o lantern trying to get away from the devil.

Anonymous said...

I had absolutely no idea about any of this. I never bothered to figure out where carving pumpkins really came from. The fact the 'jack-o-lanterns' really was started by a man named Jack. I wonder why God didn't like the fact that Jack tricked the Devil? It was smart of Jack to bargain for ten years. That way the Devil couldn't take his soul. But its sad that he didn't get accepted into to Heaven, but I know he was probably shocked the Devil didn't except him into hell either.
-Kyla Thomas

Anonymous said...

Growing up I heard of many different reasons of why we didn't celebrate halloween at church. I was taught that Halloween represented celebration of the devil. Knowing the Jack o lantern isn't meant to represent the devil has confused me so much. Where did the myths come from?
-Jasmine Busby

Unknown said...

As a bio major I think I'm most interested in the last statement about why a pumpkin makes a better medium than a potato lol This makes me want to carve different vegetables. Dr. Boston, are there any other such traditions that involve carved fruits or vegetables? It would be interesting to see if this trend is similar throughout history and what the motivations are.

Tori Spencer, SA202

Malalia Siafa-Bangura said...

This is super interesting! Growing up my mom didn't let me celebrate Halloween because it was "the devil's holiday". I never understood or even questioned why but after reading this, "The tale of stingy Jack" I see why she said that. -Malalia Siafa-Bangura

Chyann Taylor said...

As a lover of all things Samhain and Halloween, I found this so fascinating. I've only really read up on the folklore of the Pagans and the history of Halloween - not really on the jack-o-lantern. But I must say that learning the story of Jack the Trickster is probably one of my now favorite folklore stories. The fact that he was able to trap the Devil in a coin? Now that's a prank to remember.
- Chyann Taylor

Camryn Pryor said...

Though I am reading this after the Halloween season, this is one of the more interesting blog posts that I have had the opportunity of reading! I think its amazing to reflect back on holiday traditions and try to understand where they come from. I think as we get older, it is easy to take these traditions for granted, but knowing where they originated still kind of keeps the feeling of magic in them alive.

Unknown said...

Dr.Boston,

I've learned about the hanging the garlic up to keep the vampires away but In all my years of living and being huge lover of scary folk tails this is my very first time of ever hearing about this story. I found this article very interesting because I always wondered where did Halloween formed and how did we come up with the decorations for it and this article gave me some background knowledge. I found this very much interesting.

Thank You,
Lavonza Marshall

Unknown said...

Dr. Boston I found this blog post very informational, and carving pumpkins is something that my family and I have always done together as a tradition. I think it's really cool to know the back story and why we carve pumpkins. While reading the question came to mind why did they choose pumpkins, and then you answered it. I also found that information very interesting. I am definitely going to tall my family this story this year while we are carving pumpkins together.

Jessica Salmons

Briana Jones said...

I have never carved a pumpkin, but I love to see others do it. I never knew there was a story behind pumpkin-carving, but I should have guessed. There is a story for everything. Poor Jack!

Kenzell White said...

Wow! I have been carving Jack-O-Lanterns for as long as I can remember and had no clue on the back story. I find it interesting on how the tradition of carving went from turnips to pumpkins.

Kisura Gunter said...

I never knew that jack-o-lanterns were to trick the devil. But as I kept reading it makes sense because some people consider Halloween a devils holiday.

Anonymous said...

Stories like this never end good and always have something evil in it. Also didn't know they originally carved turnips, it actually looks a little creepier.
-Simone Jordan

Unknown said...

I have never carved a jack-o-lantern, and didn't know it came from Irish folklore. The story of Stingy Jack is so intriguing and it's sad I never heard the origin story, and lost soul that turned into a light dues to foolishness. I don't know how I feel about them now but I loved this post.
- kennedy Thompson

Tijunay Roberts said...

I have heard of a similar story like this before. The story I was told was that basically pumpkins are used to scare away the devil or any demons. I also never knew that they used alternate things like beets, potatoes, and turnips. I wonder how long these other fruits or vegetables last. Like pumpkins can last for a while when I carve them. But potatoes don’t seem like they would last outside for long.

FE said...

Personally I never liked to carve pumpkins as a kid but loved to watch others do it.I personally never heard of this story of a jack o lantern tricking the devil but right after I read that sentence it made me want to keep reading this article. Also didn't know they originally carved turnips,beets etc. This information is all new to me.-FE

Marcquasia A said...

I have heard of a few scenarios on how this exactly started, But all of them are interesting. Although due to my religion I've never really been exposed to Halloween its always fascinating to hear or see the idea of others beliefs on how it started. I was always told adults would use this "scary" prop to frighten townspeople by holding them in front of the windows of their homes. While I really don't know the significance of switching from turnip to a pumpkin, one might presume it was done for greater impacts when it evolved from being an act of mischief to a decorative tradition.

Amaria Thomas - Anthropology said...

The history of the jack-o'-lantern is fascinating because it's a tradition that spans centuries and multiple cultures, showing how different societies have used different objects to convey similar meanings. For instance, the Irish story of Stingy Jack, who tricked the devil and was doomed to wander the earth with only a carved-out turnip to light his way, inspired the modern-day pumpkin carving tradition. Additionally, the jack-o'-lantern has come to symbolize Halloween itself as a spooky and playful holiday. Legends and stories surrounding the jack-o'-lantern have created a unique and recognizable cultural icon that people enjoy passing down from generation to generation. Plus, carving pumpkins can also be a fun and creative seasonal activity that brings families and communities together.