Saturday, August 4, 2018

Universal Meanings of Body Language

Smiling seems to have a universal meaning of happiness based on several studies.

 
Have you ever watched a film in a foreign language and not been able to understand what they are saying but understood the contexts of the conversation?  What contexts clues were present that gave you those insights?  Chances are you understood the conversation because you picked up on the body language cues.  Edward T. Hall believed that at least 65% of language is based in body language and facial gestures, which allows people to understand subtext and alternative meanings attached to verbal language.  It does, however, beg the question as to how exactly in a world full of diverse spoken languages we can understand each other through our body language.  Today’s blog post covers this topic by reviewing the evidence on the universal meanings of body language.

Body language is the use of gestures, stances, and facial expressions to articulate specific intended or unintended messages.  As previously discussed in a separate blog post there is quite a bit of uniqueness to the meaning attached to specific gestures (e.g. the thumbs up or the finger curl), but there are also some universal meanings attached to certain facial expressions.  Several studies have been completed over the past few decades on several different cultural groups, and consistently there are a series of facial expressions that seem to hold universal meaning among diverse cultural groups.  The full list of the facial expressions and their meaning can be found in Table 1.

Table 1: Universally Understood Facial Expressions

Facial Expression
Meaning
Smile
Happiness
Frown
Sadness
Open Mouth
Surprise
Raised Eyebrows
Surprise
Wrinkled Nose
Disgust
Firmly Pressed Lips
Anger

What is even more interesting is that it appears that some nonhuman primates also can interpret body language among different species, including in humans.  Bonobos and chimpanzees have demonstrated an understanding of the gestures between their species, and if you have ever seen these or other apes (e.g. gorillas or orangutans) at the zoo you may have been able to interpret their happiness or sadness based on their facial expressions.  As the researchers of the nonhuman primate study suggest there may be a connection among primates that led to an evolution of the universal meaning of these facial expressions, but further study on this topic would need to be completed for such conclusions can be reached. 

Bibliography

Georgiou, A. (2018, March 7). Do humans and apes share ‘universal body language’? Newsweek.
Holler, J., & Peeters, D. (n.d.). Is Body Language Universal? Retrieved July 10, 2018, from Max Planck Institute: http://www.mpi.nl/q-a/questions-and-answers/is-body-language-universal
LiveseySolar. (2018). Cultural Differences in Body Language and Universal Facial Expressions. Retrieved July 10 , 2018, from LiveseySolar Healthcare Marketing: https://liveseysolar.com/cultural-differences-in-body-language-and-universal-facial-expressions/
Muoio, D. (2014, August 12). Body Talk: Gestures are not always universal! Retrieved July 10, 2018, from Arch Profile: http://blog.archprofile.com/archinsights/body_language_gestures
Site Author, C. (2013, March 5). Some Gestures Are Universal . Retrieved July 10, 2018, from The Only Book On Body Language That Everybody Needs To Read.: http://bodylanguageproject.com/the-only-book-on-body-language-that-everybody-needs-to-read/some-gestures-are-universal/
Vitelli, R. (2017, April 12). How Universal Is Body Language? New research suggests emotional body language may transcend culture. Retrieved July 10, 2018, from Psychology Today: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/media-spotlight/201704/how-universal-is-body-language



9 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel as though body language is underrated . I’m the sense that no one pays attention to body language as they should. I grasped body language when I was really young , my moms facial expressions came before any words came out her mouth, and then I knew. Body language really can make or break a conversation but it can also enhance the communication between one another . I also think the fact that primates have picked up on body language is astounding but helpful . Weird to know a primate can see the body language in humans .

-Jazlyn Logan

Unknown said...

I feel like body language does not matter. I can have a serious conversation with someone and have a smile on my face. I laugh at facial expressions when I'm supposed to be serious. I didn't know that animals can tell when your sad until my dog seen that I was sad one day and came to comfort me that's really interesting.

-Tae'lor Pearson

Unknown said...

Body language, is my life. I find myself and bestfriend doing a lot of body language towards each other. As an example, when I'm uncomfortable around large groups of people I tend to stand with my legs crossed or have an uneasy smile. My bestfriend knows my body language so she knows to come near me to make me feel a little at ease. I think people use body language more than they think, I am an observant person I try to base a person off what I see them do or how they react to things. Based off body language I can kind of tell the moods of people, and it amazes me that sometimes I'm accurate. Body language is another sign of communication nonverbally .

Jovan Black

Anonymous said...

I think its cool that the nonhuman primates can tell from our body language if we are happy,sad,& mad.Its also interesting to know that they have picked up our body language.
-Jasmine Busby

Kisura Gunter said...

I live by body language theres alot you can tell by a person body language. I read people based off that. I can tell when a person is bother, not engaged in a conversation, sad, happy, you name it. I feel like body language goes along way and is underrated by alot of people.

Anonymous said...


I understand that some facial expressions are universial for the most part. However, there is certain time that say a firmed pressed lips is not anger but, frustration.

Elaine christopher

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that over half of communication is body language although thinking about it makes sense, reading cues and addressing what needs to be said based on how they carry themselves or the type of conversation that will be had. These can be misinterpretted though.
Qwynn Marquez

Anonymous said...

its a little intimidating to realize how much we communicate without meaning to.

petra andrei

Amou Riing said...

The post gains weight when studies are mentioned that show some facial expressions have universal implications across a wide range of cultural groupings. This aspect underlines the importance of nonverbal cues in expressing intents and feelings across linguistic and cultural divides and emphasizes their cross-cultural significance. An interesting new angle to the conversation is provided by studies on nonhuman primates, such as chimpanzees and bonobos, that comprehend body language in humans and other species. It allows us to understand the evolutionary foundations of nonverbal communication by comparing communication between humans and primates.