Saturday, December 23, 2017

Kwanzaa: Celebrating African & African American Identity


Figure 1: Kwanzaa being celebrated

 December is a month full of various holiday.  It has almost become traditional to feature one of those holidays on the blog, particularly as they fit within the primary theme of this blog (to cover anthropological subject matter).  Previous posts have covered Yule, Hanukkah, Krampus, and St. Nicholas Day.  Therefore with Kwanzaa right around the corner it felt appropriate to dedicate a blog post to it.

Kwanazaa is a seven day African American and African holiday celebrated from December 26 to January 1 annually (Figure 1).  It was created in the 1960s by Dr. Maulana Karenga as a holiday dedicated to celebrating African American and African people, culture, and values.  The name Kwanzaa comes from the Swahili word for “first fruits” and is modeled after the first African harvest festivals celebrated in antiquity and today.  Kwanzaa decorations, therefore, model these festivals as crops, mats, candles, a unity cup, and flag are meant to adorn the home.

There are seven guiding principles of Kwanzaa that signify the ideals derived from various African values, traditions, and customs.  The seven principles are as follows:

o   Umoja (Unity)
o   Kujichagulia (Self-Determination)
o   Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility)
o   Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
o   Nia (Purpose)
o   Kuumba (Creativity)
o   Imani (Faith)

Each of the seven principles is celebrated on the corresponding day of the seven-day holiday, meaning on the first day Umoja is celebrated, followed by Kujichagulia on the second, and so on.  Rituals related to each principle are observed daily.  Each day, principle, and corresponding ritual is marked by the lighting of the Kinara, a seven-branched candelabra that holds three red, three green, and one black candle (Figure 2).  These candles hold symbolic meaning meant to represent the purpose of Kwanzaa: the black candle represents African-Americans and Africans, the red candles embody past and present struggles experienced by African-Americans, and the three green candles symbolize hope.  Typically, the youngest member of the family lights a candle for each day of the Kwanzaa celebration and either leads or takes a lead in the ritual celebration of the Kwanzaa principle, but it is not expected or required that the youngest be responsible as any member of the family or celebratory individual can do this. 

Figure 2: The Kinara, Unity Cup, and other symbols of Kwanzaa
Kwanzaa is typically closed by a large feast, the karamu, which is celebrated on December 31.  It is during this time that educational gifts that teach about African culture are gifted to children.  Adults and children come together at this time to celebrate family, remember ancestors, and bask in African culture.  There are no specific customs or traditions that are observed at this time.

Today, Kwanzaa is celebrated by at least 18 million people world-wide of various races, ethnicities, religions, and nationalities.  Despite its long history it was only recently recognized as a national holiday in the United States, though.  As a result there has been an increase awareness in the holiday, and just one more reason why December is known for being the holiday season.    

References


Ali-Dinar, A.B. 1990.  “Kwanzaa-What Is It?”  Akwansosem Newsletter.  University of Wisconsin-Madison.




Karenga, M.  2017.  “The Founder’s Welcome.”  The Official Kwanzaa Website.
 
No Author.  2017.  “Kwanzaa Holiday Information.”  Holidays.net


No Author.  2017.  “Seven Interesting Facts About Kwanzaa.”  PBS.org
 

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Akwila Cooks
This article is helpful because I have always knew about Kwanzaa but this helps me with a better understanding. I always taught it was interesting though because of how long it is celebrated and the seven principles.

Anonymous said...

I found a few interesting facts about this article. First, I didn't know Kwanzaa started the day after Christmas and ended on New Years. Also I failed to realize that the color coordination of the candles had a significant meaning.
Jay Westray

Anonymous said...

This is a interesting article, it gives you facts and understanding of Kwanzaa. i always known about kwanzaa, but my family never celebrated it.
Micah Seals

Anonymous said...

This article was very educational because I was taught about Kwanzaa as a kid, but there were somethings I didn't know that this article informed me about. One thing was I didn't know that the youngest in the family would light the candles on the kinara.
Dion Howard

Unknown said...

I really liked this article because I knew about Kwanzaa but I really didn't know what they did . Like I knew that they lit the candle but I didn't know that the youngest family member had lit the candle . I also didn't know that it was celebrated on December 31st .

Anonymous said...

I found this article to be very interesting, unlike the Christmas holiday that I have grown to know, Kwanzaa celebrates the people themselves in a way. Each day is represented differently, and each day is kind of a self recognition in a way. (If I am understanding this correctly) I appreciate the meaning of this holiday and how on December 31st the gifts that are given to the children are educational which I find very important than just giving gifts of entertainment.

Anonymous said...

In middle school i learned about Kwanza briefly its nice to get a better understanding for what it all means . - Tiffany Creer

Unknown said...

This article gives me a better understanding about Kwanzaa. It's very unique holiday I like how it explains that the candles hold a symbolic meaning meant to represent the purpose of Kwanzaa.

-Aide Gonzalez

Taylor Morris said...

This article is very interesting to me because I have always heard about Kwanzaa but never really knew much about it. I understand it more now.

Anonymous said...

This was a great article because I have always known about Kwanzaa. Me and my family never actually celebrated it but in elementary school we kind of celebrated it . we did projects and colored on some sheets for it and we actually sung a song for our parents called celebrate Kwanzaa. - Mykia Chaney

jerkisha Ford said...

This article has opened my eyes a lot more to my culture. I have always thought about celebrating different cultures but never had the courage to step out of the box.Reading this article has broaden my mind in a path to finally take a chance.

Julian Anderson said...

I enjoyed this article because it taught me more about my own culture. growing up in an Americanized society has lead me to only believe Christmas was to be celebrated in December. I'm glad you posted this article because it has given me a little bit more of an understanding of how my ancestors celebrated kwanazz

Anonymous said...

I've always heard of this holiday but never really knew much about it but the name and colors of the candles. I like how the gifts given to the children are educational which is very important in our lives. - Alexis Buford

apreshana page said...

I was given brief details about the seven principles of this holiday in my cultural diversity class however I would like to look more into exactly what these principles mean and stand for.

-apreshana page

Justin Adams said...

I had been taught about Kwanza in the 4th grade, but being an African American it peeks my interest when it comes to reading things about my culture. I didn't know that each day represented something different, which is cool when you think about it. I wonder what types of food they eat at the big feast on the last day.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I read this post. I have heard of Kwanza a few times but never looked into it. I never even knew what time of the year it was celebrated. Next December I want to pay more attention to Kwanza and see if I can notice anything interesting.

Monay P said...

It was such a pleasure to read this article due to the fact that I always knew what Kwanza was. But I never really knew the history to fully understand it's meaning and importance. I love how each day symbolizes something. Glad I was able to gain more knowledge about this holiday.

Unknown said...

With the holidays right around the corner, I thought this blog would be a nice fit. I have to admit, I knew very little on this holiday. I knew the basics, but learning a little bit of the history, and knowing more about how the holiday is celebrated is something I find amazing and makes me want to learn so much more.’

Kahla Perry

Tonii Saffore said...

Hi my name is Tonii Saffore. I enjoy reading post about the traditions and holidays of other cultures. I became familiar with this post after after learning that it was one of the few holidays that continued after 1 day. when I first heard of this holiday I thought it meant that I would get presents everyday of the week. After research I learned that each day has a powerful meaning and story behind it and think its important to understand that before you try to celebrate it.

Taylor Morris said...

African culture is so interesting and beautiful to me. As a person of African descent myself, I must say that Kwanaza was not really apart of my traditions but learning about gives me new insight about it.

Unknown said...

Hi my name is Avery Davis,and I think this blog is so interesting. I personally do not celebrate Kwanza because of its resemblance to Hanukkah. They both deal with candles and have a funny name for it and it just did not appeal to me.

Unknown said...

I was very interested in finding out what Kwanzaa people did on their holiday, but never looked into it. After reading this article, it made me kind of want to research their celebrations; only because the meaning behind their candles, in which I never knew the colors signified something. I believe other cultures celebrate Kwanzaa as well? If I'm correct, I wonder why? What makes them celebrate something for the black culture based on the meaning.

Jovan Black

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Great questions, Jovie. Other people who celebrate Kwanzaa may do so for various reasons, including but not limited to identifying with black culture in some way (e.g. multiracial individuals) or because they feel strongly about the tenants of the religion. Additionally, elements of the Kwanzaa celebration can be found in other religions, such as the Kinara, which is similar to the Jewish Menorah. This might be where some of those ideas about sharing in the faith come from.

Anonymous said...

This was an interesting post. I knew about Kwanzaa, but this post made it much more clearer. It's pretty cool how they celebrate it for so long and all the 7 principles. Its always interesting to learn things about other cultures/holidays.
-Kyla Thomas
-Kyla Thomas

Anonymous said...

This blog helped me understand Kwanzaa better. The way they celebrate with a large feast reminds me of how we celebrate thanksgiving. When they give gifts to the children remind me of our christmas.
-Jasmine Busby

Anonymous said...

I did not know that Kwanzaa was originally an African American and African holiday. I thought it was a Jewish holiday. glad i read on this
-Simone Jordan

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Simone, you are thinking of Hanukah, which uses a menorah much like what is used in Kwanzaa. There are similarities in the holidays. If you want to learn more about Hanukah there is a blog post you can read: https://humerusrevelations.blogspot.com/2016/12/happy-hanukkah.html

Anonymous said...

As a kid, I remember watching Everbody Hates Chris and seeing them celebrate kwanza. I didn't know what it was then nor 5 minutes ago but I'm glad I do now. Before I assumed it was a strickly African holiday, that it was based on religion, and created long before the 1900s. Now that I know Kwanza's relevance/importance in African American culture I personally want to educate myself more on the topic and maybe practice the tradition one day.
-Gavin G

Anonymous said...

The acknowledgment of Kwanzaa as a cultural festival gives people the chance to celebrate and recognize African-American identities and traditions while also learning more about African customs, beliefs, and history.-Brooklyn blair