Saturday, December 6, 2014

Applied Anthropology Profile: Theron Huntamer: HIV & AIDS Epidemiology Capacity Coordinator




Source: http://www.healthonearth.net/2011/11/medical-anthropology-and-global-health.html

Unlike other anthropologists interviewed for this Applied Anthropology series, Theron Huntamer was not drawn to anthropology because he found it provocative, alluring, or interesting.  He honestly was drawn to the discipline because he found it easy.  Having been raised in a family of salesmen Huntamer had learned early in life how to read people, and he realized that this learned skill set not only made his anthropology courses easier but it was an asset to the discipline that is based on learning about people and cultures.  While pursuing his bachelor’s degree in Anthropology Huntamer focused on a variety of courses by what he referred to as good professors who guided him.  These courses included (Arch) GIS, statistics, computer (database management), English language, cultural anthropology, and public health courses. He believed that he would ultimately become an English as a Second Language teacher, but upon graduating he found that there were a great deal of opportunities in the public health fields, which ultimately drew him to his current position as a HIV & AIDS Epidemiology Capacity Coordinator for the state of Nevada. 

As a HIV & AIDS Epidemiology Capacity Coordinator Huntamer is not only charged with tracking Nevada residents who are diagnosed with HIV & AIDS but additional health outcomes among marginalized populations across Nevada.  One project that he could talk about involved tracking the health statuses among high school athletes who were diagnosed with sickle cell anemia.  Because of his diverse skill set, particularly due to his anthropological and statistical backgrounds, Huntamer is often employed on a variety of public health projects.  The state of Nevada, however, is not the only employer interested in him.  He admits that he has and continues to receive multiple job offers from businesses across the country who find these skills and therefore Huntamer particularly attractive for marketing their products. 

Huntamer credits his anthropological background in providing him these various employment opportunities because he acknowledges the multidisciplinary and applied nature of anthropology today.  He said that he appreciated his anthropology courses as they challenged him in a variety of ways, instigating him to work hard and learn as much as possible.  According to Huntamer, anthropology is a discipline that requires outside of the box thinking and encourages creative problem solving skills, which he did not find in his other course work.  He admits that this has been one of the most valuable lessons he took away from his anthropological training because life is not predictable and problem solving and nontraditional thinking is therefore required in order to become successful. 

He also credits his current success and job placement to one professor in particular.  He said that his medical anthropology course was one of the hardest he had ever taken, but it was also the one he learned the most from because he was made to work.  If it had not been for that course and that professor’s high standards Huntamer does not believe he would be working in the position he has today and he would not be as successful either.  His one piece of advice for anthropology students is to listen to your professors.  Your anthropology course may not be a requirement for your degree but it does not mean it is any less important.  As demonstrated by Huntamer’s story that course could lead to an unexpected but fulfilling career.

26 comments:

April B said...

Every time I read the Anthropology profiles I am inspired even more to continue pursuing my Anthropology degree. I'm not so great at reading people, but I feel like I am able to understand people well. I still haven't decided what I will do with all of my newly acquired knowledge, but I know that it will definitely come in handy for the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

Reading this blog, and it is one of the reason I took this class. I agree with it is the Hardest class I've have taken. It's not for my degree but I wanted to alway to know the great things about Anthropology Taking this this class has made me have a great respected for this field and the work they do for us.

Anonymous said...

I always think of anthropology as a study of ancient people or of criminal forensics like in the TV series Bones. I didn't realize there were so many different offshoots of anthropology. Although my major is social work, I enjoyed taking anthropology even though it was my toughest course so far. I see why it is a requirement for my degree. It will help when dealing with different ethnic groups and not looking at it as race now.

Unknown said...

I always thought anthropology was going to be uninteresting and not the topic for me but I have a deep interest for biology, which anthropology has a strong link too in some ways. But as I read his story it motivates me to try and establish higher ground with my requirement class so that I can take that information and maybe one day it may lure me back in. I'm curious to know how does being able to read people well exactly help him make anthropology easier for his life?

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Theron's work in medical topics often means he meets people who are little less willing to disclose their entire medical history. Knowing if someone is being untruthful is an asset.

Anonymous said...

I thought anthropology was more about human and bones but i never really thought about how HIV can relate to anthropology until reading this blog. Its hard to find cure and want people to live. anthropology is a work in progress it takes time. It never just happens from one day to the the next morning.
Briana Banuelos
Anth 102 1001

girlmeeko said...

interesting way to see anthropology. I guess it is an ubiquitous topic. Far out reaches mainstream humaniies.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great job Mr. Huntamer. It is great how he helps those in need of care from HIV & AIDS in Nevada and also tries to outreach to populations across the state. very talented man with a various set of particular skills that give him multiple jobs opportunities across the country. Keep up the great work!

Thank you for the post
Zachary Forrester
anthro 101 3001 summer

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting blog. I wish Theron Huntamer all the best. It is amazing to see how anthropology seems to affect everything else.

Anonymous said...

It's good to know there is someone paying attention to those with HIV/Aids in Nevada. It makes sense to me now that it is anthropology that is involved in this. It sounds like Mr. Huntamer has found what we all want. A job he enjoys and finds stimulating.

Paige Stevenson
Anthro 101

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I also too anthropology because I thought it was easy but now that I actually know more about the subject and profession I definitely have more respect for the subject. I liked anthropology just because I am not much of a math person so the fact that anthropology deals with the study of people was really intriguing to me.

Jordan R said...

Awesome to see someone who has acquired success give credit where credit is due, and that looking back he is happy his course were difficult.
Jordan R

Unknown said...

I remember taking anth 101 my first year of college with Dr. Boston and loving it. Anthropology was one of the only classes I genuinely took interest in and found every topic and discussion very engaging. Being in anth 102 I can say the work load is definitely more heavy but the content is still very interesting and fun to learn.

Charlie Goggin said...

Medical anthropology is one of the most interesting aspects to me. I have always been interested in health and what can go wrong. Biology in general has always been incredibly interesting to me and our species is at least as interesting as any other. Thank you for posting this, I really enjoy learning all the different aspects of this discipline.

Anonymous said...

This is a really interesting story. Sometimes as student we complaint about some courses that seems bored or hard. But you never know for what that information it will be helpful in your career so, open mind and digest the knowledge.

Eliana
Anth 101

Anonymous said...

The first time I heard Anthropology I didn't know what I was getting myself into, after a few classes it was more interesting than I thought. The class is kind of complicated but not as bad as I thought, you made it very interesting to learn and enjoyable to come to class.
Aaliyah Caldwell

Kylene Jay said...

So, I don't know much about anthropology, as this current course is my first, but the tid bits I have seen so far are pretty sweet. I would have never thought an anthropology degree could be so diverse and open so many doors across a wide range of fields.

Jaeda Lowe said...

I thought anthropology was more about human and bones but i never really thought about how HIV can relate to anthropology until reading this blog. Its hard to find cure and want people to live.

Anonymous said...

It's cool how his degree in anthropology to opened so many different employment opportunities, even in the medical field. I hope he'll be able to find a cure for HIV/AIDS one day.

-Monique McAllister

Mara Caudel said...

I see how anthropology can help in the medical field! I agree that anthropology makes you think outside the box as well!

Anonymous said...

Dalyla Jordan
anthropology is such a broad field. i wonder if multiple medical fields come together as one and work on the cure for HIV/aids they would come up with a solution

Anonymous said...

Akwila Cooks
I think this is interesting article. The topic Anthropolgy is so interesting and I be thinking I wish what it was before I chose my major because the more and more I learn about it the more more I become interested.

Kierria said...

Honesty I am glad I took this class , however I must admit it is a very hard class. Only because I thought Anthropology was more about Bones and more like a history class. But as time goes by I am happy I learn alot in this class and look at Anthropology so differently.

Anonymous said...

I did not know what Anthropology really was but I am glad
I took this class, it open your eyes up to a lot of cool and unique thing, I hope he find an cure for Aids one day - Xjavion Boyd

Tonii Saffore said...

My name is Tonii Saffore. This post were interesting to me, especially because I have been hearing a lot of things concerning HIV and AIDs and in St.Louis, where I live, the rates are sky rocketing. I like that this post is able to intertwine the Anthropology field, because I think a lot of it can be culturally related.

Anonymous said...

-Mya BUsrey

This has to be by far the most relatable post that I have came across. I am only a junior in college and I am not yet in my career, but I definitely see anthropology as a life requirement. I am currently in an anthropology class and it has taught me more than the other classes that I am taking at the moment. It is very interesting and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the professor that is teaching the course makes it great! She sometimes makes me forget that it's a class or lecture. The course work has also helped me view my career field and what I plan to become in life differently in a positive way. I'm very much thankful that I took the course.