Saturday, November 23, 2013

Six of One Half, A Dozen of the Other : Critically Evaluating the Costs & Benefits of Pop Culture Depictions of Anthropology

When I was in high school, one of my favorite teachers went on a little rant one day during the class discussion.  His rant focused on a popular television series that was about teachers, and he was upset about how teachers were depicted in this show.  The show provided an inaccurate depiction of his beloved profession, and he feared the repercussions that he may deal with when confronted by new acquaintances who learned that he was, in fact, an educator.  He then mused that one of his favorite television shows was about the personal and professional lives of lawyers, and he suspected that real lawyers probably felt the same way about that show as he did in regards to the show he now loathed. 

I bring up this short anecdote because I feel that same dread whenever someone compares my professional and educational endeavors to a popular television series, Bones, which is a popular comparison for one of my friends in particular who swears that my personality (and my namesake) are identical to that of the main character of the show.  But my dread goes beyond that.  I am often times questioned about whether or not I can complete the same tasks in the exact same manner to that seen on the show, and when I explain that I cannot because of the show being unrealistic, I am met with blank stares and the popular questions, "Well, why can't you do that?  What's wrong with you?"

For better or worse, anthropological subject matter is everywhere in popular culture.  Some of the more recognizable anthropological examples include Bones, the Indiana Jones franchise, the Lara Croft: Tombraider franchise, Ross Gellar of Friends (he was a paleoanthropologist), King Kong, and many more, but there are also not so recognizable examples as well, such as in less mainstream board games and video games and subtle references in popular television shows (e.g. C.S.I.: Crime Scene Investigation and Law and Order).  To be fair, there are disadvantages and advantages to these depictions, which will be further explored briefly in this blog post.

There are several disadvantages to these shows, aside from the personal grief felt by professional anthropologists who are annoyed (or worse) by questions from the lay public.  There are some very real and academically identified consequences, such as the CSI Effect, which demonstrates that such shows such as CSI and Bones misinform the public about the criminal justice system and the limits and realities of forensic sciences (anthropology included).  Several viable court cases were lost due to this misrepresentation because jurors were misinformed about the realities of evidence, and they expected more or mistakenly thought the evidence was flawed because it was "missing" key pieces of information that, in reality, could not be collected.  In addition, many people mistakenly believe common myths perpetuated by these pop culture depictions, such as dinosaurs and humans coexisted (there is no credible, scientific evidence that supports this assertion at this time), humans evolved from apes (please see second blog post for more information), and much much more.  Bad science and bad interpretations of good science does not serve anyone well.

But what about the advantages?  Do they exist?

Actually, yes, as much as some days I hate to admit it.  Many current anthropologists (in all disciplines) were drawn to the discipline because of something they saw or experienced in their pop culture experiences.  I am one of those individuals.  I used to watch documentaries with my father when I was a child, and it was the one on ancient Egyptian mummies that captured my imagination and interest in the discipline of anthropology.  That and the misinformation about dinosaurs: that digging up dinosaurs meant studying anthropology (see the first blog post), and that there were no dinosaur fossils left to excavate (both false statements.  Paleontology is alive and well!)  And several other anthropologists that I have met tell similar stories, be it about Indiana Jones or other similar pop culture icons. 

But it is not just anthropologists whose interests were captured.  Many students in anthropology classes were put there because someone (be it themselves, a parent, or adviser) was influenced by popular culture depictions of anthropology.  So these depictions help fill seats in classes, and from there, anthropology educators can educate students about the realities of the discipline, making up for the misinformation perpetuated by these depictions.  So in a way, without pop culture, anthropology may not be as popular a topic as it is today. 

So there you have it, the good, the bad, and the ugly, albeit no where near exhaustive review of popular culture depictions of anthropological subject matter.  While I will probably be forever annoyed by the questions and comparisons I deal with, there are still some that I am quite fond of.  Ultimately, I have pop culture to thank for leading me to a discipline and career I absolutely love, and I have pop culture allowing me to continue to do what I love, educating students who may or may not completely understand anthropology. 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I've said before, I used to be a fan of "Bones", and I even thought about becoming an anthropologist because of what I saw on the show. Knowing what I know now about physical anthropologist, I sometimes feel bad for the way that they are portrayed. Not because they are believed to be able to do everything in a short amount of time, but because when something doesn't happen as some thought, they are automatically compared to the characters on "Bones".
-Cristian Rios

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

I am conflicted by shows such as Bones. On the one hand, it raises awareness about the discipline and piques public interest, which has numerous invaluable benefits. On the other hand, however, it also misinforms the public and sets up unreasonable expectations for law enforcement agents. Those individuals who go into forensic anthropology want to make a difference, and the limitations of the discipline frustrate them (and myself) wildly because those limitations inhibit us many times to solve the problem that is tasked. But realizing those limitations drives us to work harder and better in the profession. If you want to become a forensic anthropologist, having an honest perception of what the field entails is better than having a misleading view because it is better for yourself in learning about the field (and the methods) and others who will ultimately be affected upon your employment. I encourage you to pursue your dreams, be it forensic anthropology or otherwise.

girlmeeko said...

You are kidding!? Who ever said that you and the character of Bones had similar personalities was a fool. Did you ask them if they had even watched the show? Bones has no people skills what so ever. She is a complete dork.

Anonymous said...

Bones is a good tv show and some of us enjoy what we have to watch but we know that most of the stuff they do is not real it is just for entertainment purposes only.
briana banuelos
anthro 102 1001

Anonymous said...

I watched television to be entertained -- not to be educated. Do you really believe a politician or radical group just because they are on TV?

Unknown said...

I got interested in CSI for how they portrayed it but if it is false then what am i supposed to take from it? The shows are entertaining and do provide some info. So when am i going to see the you tube series "Debunking Bones" come up? That would be interesting to see

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

Regard it as a work of fiction and take what you want from such fictional work. As for a youtube channel there are a few different factors that would need to be worked out to allow such a channel or show to be created.

Unknown said...

I had a ton of friends who were dedicated to getting a criminal justice degree in hopes of becoming forensic investigators. After they found out the work load and realized it was at all like CSI they changed their minds. I took anthropology my first or second semester of college not really knowing what it was about... at all. But after being in my second anthropology class I can say that it is one of the most intereting fields I have studied in and I can see why so many people are passionate about being in this type of career.

Hannah Little said...

I won't lie, I only took ANTH 101 because I thought we would touch on dinosaurs! Once I took it, however, I realized how incredibly ignorant I was to what's going on in the rest of the world. Also, how many different fields of anthropology are out there was eye-opening to me. Is everything in Bones unrealistic, too? =[

Dr. Christine Elisabeth Boston said...

For the most part, yes, Bones is complete fiction.

Betsy Britt - Introduction to Anthropology SA-202 said...

Even though television shows draw future anthropologists in, not many necessarily stay. The media, while making the profession look exciting, portrays the field as easier than I assume it is, for the same has been done to other occupations. After learning that anthropology is less exciting/more difficult than they previously thought, many students most likely change majors. Therefore, they pay for more classes, causing them to have more student loans, and increasing the cycle of poverty.

D.Traywick said...

It's funny people turn their childhood fantasies into actual careers in a way. That's how to live happy though is doing what you love.

Unknown said...

Bones really is a popular show and never thought that it was false. The fun facts keep coming!

Steven Benton said...

Its interesting on how I started out at as a wellness major in college because I loved working out when I was younger and till this day still do but when Journalism clicked in the media field of sports I was like if I cant be a professional player I could still be on tv as a sports newscaster. Its neat on how classes through college can lead you into a different direction. If becoming a professor at a University didnt work out what would of been your back up plan?

Mara Caudel said...

I do believe more people are interested in anthropology because of the media. Do you believe tv shows such as Bones is more of a help or hurt to the anthropology world? I see how it can be both.

Unknown said...

My cousin and I are huge history nerds. She is currently an anthropology major at Missouri State University. She was the one who mentioned the course to me and said I would enjoy it. Having a pretty cool professor makes it even more enjoyable!

Anonymous said...

I Used to be a fan of the television show bones also ,but after finding out when I was younger it was fictional I stopped being a fan just because they do not know what actual archeologist go through to be where they are today. I became interested in anthropology because of all the great things I have learned just taking the course over a short period of time . - Mykia Chaney

Anonymous said...

I FEEL LIKE IM GOING TO HAVE THE SAME ISSUE ONCE I BECOME A POLICE OFFICER. PEOPLE WILL COMPARE ME TO LAW&ORDER AND CSI SHOWS
-JASMINE BUSBY

Unknown said...

I use to watch "bones" alot on Hulu before I knew anything about the anthropology class. I honestly can say that series really interested in the course.
- Laavonza Marshall